Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

IBM ThinkPad Users' Group

Like Tree22Likes
Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-02-2011, 02:27 PM   #2386
Supremacy Member

I was offered a Thinkpad 410 when I went to Funan and I have never been a Thinkpad user.

Like to know and understand why a Thinkpad is better?
nakorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 03:09 PM   #2387

I was offered a Thinkpad 410 when I went to Funan and I have never been a Thinkpad user.

Like......maybe its because its the only notebook certified to be on the International Space Station? (according to wikipedia)...haha

They are reliable and durable (have used 2 ThinkPads, one T41 since 2003 and its still working, am using a T61p now) Though my T61p suffered a hinge break two years ago, there wasnt any more hardware issues. Excellent/comfortable keyboard (though again, depends on personal preference). No BSODs, works exactly how I want it to work all the time. A bit pricey, but great return of investment over time.

Some links here for further reading:

http://shopap.lenovo.com/sg/products...pad/index.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ThinkPad
gohkhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 03:20 PM   #2388

yes, I am quite amazed that my machine never suffer any BSOD, even it is preloaded with the crappy windows vista. I have seen some other laptops which suffer BSODs with vista, although it is less in latest windows 7.
Hummingbird0209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 03:22 PM   #2389

I heard the latest T420 is able to achieve 30 hours of battery runtime with standard 9 cell battery plus 9 cell slice battery.

If it is true it will be a jaw dropper...
Hummingbird0209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 04:01 PM   #2390
Supremacy Member

Like......maybe its because its the only notebook certified to be on the International Space Station? (according to wikipedia)...haha

They are reliable and durable (have used 2 ThinkPads, one T41 since 2003 and its still working, am using a T61p now) Though my T61p suffered a hinge break two years ago, there wasnt any more hardware issues. Excellent/comfortable keyboard (though again, depends on personal preference). No BSODs, works exactly how I want it to work all the time. A bit pricey, but great return of investment over time.

Some links here for further reading:

http://shopap.lenovo.com/sg/products...pad/index.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ThinkPad
Thanks for sharing

Is there any place where I can pick up a T410 with good specs and at a good price?

An installment plan would be a plus.

I went to seeseelooklook but after making the "modifications" based on their price list against a model I saw in Funan, the price did not seem to have much or any savings.
Old 25-02-2011, 04:19 PM   #2391

Windows Vista is a joke of 'panoramic proportions' and its fortunate that Windows 7 managed to save the day. I also uninstalled the default vista that came with my T61p and was using XP until Windows 7 came about.

If the 9 cell + 9 slice is anything like the one from Dell, then its going to be a gigantic slab of battery (looks like a flat plate that slaps below the ThinkPad). Cant imagine the weight on that monster, but would be a boon if you are working in remote places where socket power is a rarity.

@nakorius - Yes, sometimes if the specs are close to the default, then you can consider getting from Funan as well. Though you need to take note that the warranty for the components you want them to change are not covered by Lenovo. Let me know the specs and I'll see what I can do for you.
Old 25-02-2011, 04:36 PM   #2392

Have been using my T61 for the past 3yrs+ and have nothing but praise for it. Gave it a fresh update by upgrading to a WD 500GB Black and Win7.

Now really looking forward to the T420s, with its Sandybridge CPU, rapid drive tech, longer battery life and of course, compared to my T61, the lighter weight!

Fingers crossed!
Azrielsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 04:47 PM   #2393
Supremacy Member

Windows Vista is a joke of 'panoramic proportions' and its fortunate that Windows 7 managed to save the day. I also uninstalled the default vista that came with my T61p and was using XP until Windows 7 came about.

If the 9 cell + 9 slice is anything like the one from Dell, then its going to be a gigantic slab of battery (looks like a flat plate that slaps below the ThinkPad). Cant imagine the weight on that monster, but would be a boon if you are working in remote places where socket power is a rarity.

@nakorius - Yes, sometimes if the specs are close to the default, then you can consider getting from Funan as well. Though you need to take note that the warranty for the components you want them to change are not covered by Lenovo. Let me know the specs and I'll see what I can do for you.
Hey Goh, thanks for letting me know! I'll come up with the list and PM you.

By the way, if I get a Thinkpad from you, can I still extend the warranty?
Old 25-02-2011, 04:48 PM   #2394
Supremacy Member

Have been using my T61 for the past 3yrs+ and have nothing but praise for it. Gave it a fresh update by upgrading to a WD 500GB Black and Win7.

Now really looking forward to the T420s, with its Sandybridge CPU, rapid drive tech, longer battery life and of course, compared to my T61, the lighter weight!

Fingers crossed!
I am wondering if I should wait for the T420.

What would be your estimate on the price tag for it?
Old 25-02-2011, 04:54 PM   #2395

@azirelsc - Me too...I was eyeing the T400s when it first came out, but I told myself, "Ah yah...my T61p going strong, wait until spoil then get it..." one year past without incident, then the T410s came about, making me drool again. Once more I told myself the same thing and waited. Looks like I'll be stuck with my T61p until it becomes obsolete...it just doesnt DIE! Now i'm looking fondly at the T420s...boohoo

@nakorius - Can, but will be more expensive than to get it together when you buy it.
Old 25-02-2011, 04:57 PM   #2396
Supremacy Member

@nakorius - Can, but will be more expensive than to get it together when you buy it.
Do you mean that it will be more expensive to get the extended warranty from you or...?
Old 25-02-2011, 07:30 PM   #2397
Arch-Supremacy Member

It is not commonly seen because usually only corps use Thinkpads. End user seldom because of the plain look.

But yes, they are indeed durable. My friend's Thinkpad flew off the desk after he accidentally tripped over the power cable. The laptop landed on the floor with a small scratch and no other damages.
ahtea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 07:32 PM   #2398
Arch-Supremacy Member

@azirelsc - Me too...I was eyeing the T400s when it first came out, but I told myself, "Ah yah...my T61p going strong, wait until spoil then get it..." one year past without incident, then the T410s came about, making me drool again. Once more I told myself the same thing and waited. Looks like I'll be stuck with my T61p until it becomes obsolete...it just doesnt DIE! Now i'm looking fondly at the T420s...boohoo

Reward your trusty T61p with a can of coke for serving you well.
Old 25-02-2011, 08:15 PM   #2399
Arch-Supremacy Member

I heard the latest T420 is able to achieve 30 hours of battery runtime with standard 9 cell battery plus 9 cell slice battery.

Is really not really that great. 9 Cells battery is very heavy plus you still have to put in another 9 cell slice battery at the DVDwriter position.
cscs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 08:52 PM   #2400
Arch-Supremacy Member

This is no joke. But the machine will weigh you down after souping up with those batteries.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.