Is the 2nd Major in Business worth it? (NTU MBS)

JAYKING96

Reaction score
Is the 2nd Major in Business worth it? (NTU MSB)

Hello, I have been accepted into NTU Maritime with Business major, but Im still very unsure about whether the business major is worth it. I have a rather long list of concerns, so thank you in advance for reading them. I really appreciate it.

How much extra workload is there specifically, compared to MS? I've read many forum posts and there are opposing views. There are people who say that it is manageable as it overlaps with the electives and also people who say that MSB students "take everything we(NBS students) take in Year 1 except for commfund, plus half our second year mods." Although I dont really understand what some of the terms mean, but it does sound like a ton of extra work. Would there still be sufficient time for things like cca? I dont want to spent my whole time in Uni just studying.

Other that manageability, is it very tough to score well in the business modules? I've read that the business major modules would be graded and we would have to compete against the NBS students. Wouldn't we be at a disadvantage against the NBS students, who take biz as their primary major? Is it very tough to score well for the business modules in face of such competition?

Also, can we choose to drop the business major if we find it hard to cope? Or would we be made to drop it if we are not performing well enough?*

How much of an edge is this extra business major going to give us over the rest of our peers who dont in the industry? Is it really worth taking the business major? I dont wish to go into MBS, and at the end of the day have my grades pulled down by my 2nd major. If this would be the case, i would rather opt for MS.

Any current undergraduates or postgraduates from Maritime Studies able to provide any answers, information or tips? Thank you very much for your help!

Ps. Sorry for the long post. And i realised it should be ntu msb,not mbs. Sorry about that.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.