HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Laptop or tablet hybrid for NTU Mechanical Engineering?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Intrinion
Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-05-2017, 10:18 PM   #1

Laptop or tablet hybrid for NTU Mechanical Engineering?

Hi everyone!

I will be matriculating in AY2017 and wondering what my engineering course requires for laptops.

I have 2 plans at the moment:

Plan A: Get a fairly powerful laptop capable of gaming. Need to lug this 2.5kg fella to school everyday.

Plan B: Get a tablet hybrid and a gaming desktop separately.

My main concern is whether resource/graphic intensive programs such as AutoCAD & NX is required to be used on laptops, and on the campus itself. And will school computer terminals be readily available? Is it a pain in the ass to carry a heavy laptop to school everyday? What are your thoughts on this?

Feedback will be very much appreciated! Thanks~
prorenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 08:31 AM   #2
Junior Moderator

Hi everyone!

I will be matriculating in AY2017 and wondering what my engineering course requires for laptops.

Plan A: Get a fairly powerful laptop capable of gaming. Need to lug this 2.5kg fella to school everyday.

My main concern is whether resource/graphic intensive programs such as AutoCAD & NX is required to be used on laptops, and on the campus itself. And will school computer terminals be readily available? Is it a pain in the ass to carry a heavy laptop to school everyday? What are your thoughts on this?

Why not both?

It's good to have a fairly powerful laptop for CFD simulations (computational fluid dynamics) or loading simulations, and you would probably not be lugging a 2.5kg laptop daily (unless you wish to of course).

So it's nice to have a tablet for paperless note taking (such as a Surface with One Note).
prorenzo likes this.

Unsure of what to get? Need help with Notebook issues? Join in the discussions at Notebook Clinic!

Keep up with the latest in mobile technology with Residential Phone Gurus over at Mobile Communication Technology!

Need Assistance? Fret not! Feel free to contact me via PM for Forum Related Issues or any Other Issues that may require immediate assistance and I will get back to you as soon as I can.
Intrinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 06:47 PM   #3

So you suggest that I go with the tablet & desktop route? Do many students in engineering go with the tablet route?

I am on a limited budget currently, so I would want to cover both the portability for daily work & intensive computing/gaming, be it being all combined in a single powerful laptop, or a separate tablet and desktop
Old 18-05-2017, 08:41 PM   #4

Hi everyone!

I am using Microsoft SP4 cheapest config for the same course, convocating this year. It really depends. The only software that you will use mostly is solidwork , MA2005, MA3001, MA4001 if you are mainstream. There are 2 labs, CAE 1 & 2 readily available with aplenty of softwares preinstalled including all the softwares that you've mentioned.
Old 19-05-2017, 10:54 PM   #5

lol freshie... the only software i use was solidworks. just go for plan b.
what kind of question is this? "Is it a pain in the ass to carry a heavy laptop to school everyday?"
escapelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 11:10 PM   #6

Noted guys,

I think I will be going for plan B. The more I think about it, the less practical a bulky heavy laptop would seem for university use.

I imagine having to plug my keyboard, mouse, monitor and speakers in and out everytime i go from home to school. Balancing a big heavy laptop on lecture theatre small flip-up tables.

Thanks for all the replies!
Old 03-09-2017, 04:32 PM   #7

TS must choose between grades and games Engine really not easy de. If want game suggest you change to HSS
Extech is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.