HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

NTU Math and Physics Refresher Course 2017

Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-06-2017, 08:19 PM   #1

NTU Math and Physics Refresher Course 2017

Hi, I'm enrolling in triple e this year and I'm still considering if i should attend the refresher courses. May i be advised if these courses are actually useful? On a side note, would anyone be interested in going together? It would be good to have someone to talk to (:
cxlleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 10:59 PM   #2

I was asking the same question back then. Its useless. If ur from JC going into Year 1 and taking Physics, Mathematics and Computing. God have mercy of you. If the syllabus hasnt change, which I assume it hasnt.
escapelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 11:45 PM   #3

I was asking the same question back then. Its useless. If ur from JC going into Year 1 and taking Physics, Mathematics and Computing. God have mercy of you. If the syllabus hasnt change, which I assume it hasnt.
I took PCME back when i was in JC, so I reckon that it's not of much help? My results really isn't that fantastic and EVERYONE has been telling me "RIP" ever since I told them that I'll be enrolling in EEE this year. I'm very worried as I do not want to get an academic warning for getting <2.00 GPA because I'm quite bad at Physics (nothing to do with interest anyway). With that being said, is EEE really that hard to handle?
Old 21-06-2017, 12:45 PM   #4

hello! i m matriculating into mech engine and will be going for both math and physics refresher courses (becos i forget some of the a lvl content liao)
i found another girl matriculating into phyiscs/appliedphysics oso going for both the lectures--- but we different venue
maybe u wan to go together?

ps my lects r both at lt2a, hers r at spms n lt1/2a
friedriceandegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2017, 01:36 PM   #5

hello! i m matriculating into mech engine and will be going for both math and physics refresher courses (becos i forget some of the a lvl content liao)
i found another girl matriculating into phyiscs/appliedphysics oso going for both the lectures--- but we different venue

Hi there, sad to say that I'm going to a different venue as well. Mine is lt1 and lt25
Old 21-06-2017, 01:45 PM   #6

Hi there, sad to say that I'm going to a different venue as well. Mine is lt1 and lt25
oh, but we will be travelling to ntu together(havent decided on the details) in case we get lost?
Old 21-06-2017, 06:43 PM   #7
Arch-Supremacy Member

I attended the maths refresher course in 2014, was direct year 2 EEE student. As I was still in NS, my timetable didn't allow me to attend the physics course.

I felt that the maths syllabus did help a bit in giving some recap, especially if you have gone thru two years of NS.

It may not directly help with thr first maths module , nor did it directly help engineering maths, but the knowledge does give some maths background when i encounter maths in different modules later in the years. I cannot run away from maths in my 3 years in ntu eee.

This refresher course seems to cater to wide range of courses.

It is similar to polytechnic's bridging course for uni/advanced mathematics. But the uni one is much faster paced. Things like domain and range, differentiations/integration, partial derivative, L'hopital , and some others.

It also helps to give a feel of thr speed of lectures in uni.

Physics wise, feedback from my friend is very good, helps a lot, as i heard it helps to give a good foundation for thr first physics course.

It is good to have build a good foundation in physics, as the tutorial teacher i have for my first physics course didn't give us the solutions, he only gave us "hints" to solve the questions.

If you are direct year 2 Eee Student like me, i think u will need to do 3 courses in maths (MH2810,Engineering maths 1, engineering maths 2).
I also did 2 physics courses (foundation physics & physics for eee)

Of course i also have friends who didn't went thru this refresher course but score better than me. Learning differ from person to person.

If i were u i will go. I feel that physics n maths at undergraduate level is different from polytechnic.

I have a friend do major in physics and minor in chemistry in SPMS told me that after learning the first physics course (PH1012), can do A level H2 physics already. im not sure how true as this is his opinion and im not an A level student.

Sent from The Magical Land Of Talking Pillows, Bolsters & Blankets; Far, Far Away Deep In Another Galaxy using GAGT

Last edited by mypillowtalks; 21-06-2017 at 06:58 PM..
mypillowtalks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2017, 07:11 AM   #8

Firstly, it is "God have mercy on your soul", geesh I cant even proofread here haha

Oh and I am not from EEE but another engineering course. But Y1S1 is the same stuff..
Its not that what we learn in JC is not of help. The ACTUAL scenario is where 2 years (technically 1 year+) worth of syllabus is crammed into 3-4 months. Thats where you feel, dang girl is this for real?!
This applies for the module PH1011 Physics. I heard SPMS students take some other foundational physic course.
Like the above, you cant run away from Maths in EEE!
You cant run away from computing also.

I will be quite honest here... Getting a 2.0 for GPA for the first semester is weird.
If you are not there to get a decent degree with a honours at Uni then why are you going through the route to torture yourself by going to EEE?
With EFFORT, one should be able to obtain a decent GPA class. Then again, it all boils down to that individual and see what GPA they are going to be happy with.
Effort here assumes that you actually put in the effort to study. If your just gonna have fun and put minimal effort plus not prioritise your school work of coz you will get 2.0 lah. Thanks for wasting 3k+ worth of money.

Oh and another thing is, considering you actually showed that you care about this refresher courses, would imply that you give a F about uni liao. So why downplay yourself so much before uni even started?
Old 22-06-2017, 11:30 AM   #9
Master Member

SPMS student here. Non-physics majors can take an elective called PH1801 - Foundations of Physics 1 which is mainly similar to H1/2 Physics. Only touches on Newtonian Laws, Thermodynamics (1st Law) and is a pass/fail module.

Pretty doable if you have H1/2 physics background but my friends who last touched physics in secondary school also had no problem because you just need to pass the module.

The main forms of assessment is the midterms which is 40% (just get full marks for this and guaranteed to pass the course, according to the lecturer), and 60% finals (mcq and structured).

For the mid terms it's open-book and finals most people walk out after doing MCQs cause pass can alr
Old 23-06-2017, 03:11 AM   #10

hi, i just received my offer for ntu physics yesterday and accepted it. i haven't touched physics since O Levels in 2013 (plus i did an unrelated dip in poly) so i'm kind of worried. i didn't get an email about the refresher courses either so i was wondering if they're open to anyone or only people with the email invite? ;__;
dinewyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 07:51 AM   #11

just find out the location of where the LT is and go for the first lecture. you cn register at the spot.

or additionally, go to SPMS Physics website, look for your an email where you cn email abt curriculum related stuff and ask.
Old 24-06-2017, 07:26 PM   #12

just find out the location of where the LT is and go for the first lecture. you cn register at the spot.

or additionally, go to SPMS Physics website, look for your an email where you cn email abt curriculum related stuff and ask.
ohhh, i see. thank you! ((:
dinewyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:29 PM   #13

Hello! May i know where did you get the info for the refrsher course for ME? I'm matriculating this year but i didnt receive any info regarding the refresher course.. Thanks in advance!!

June15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:33 PM   #14

Hi, i am also enrolled to EEE direct second year, but i am unable to attend the Physic refresher course at LT2A due to my work timing. As such, im only able to attend math preparatory lessons at LT25.

For that, im unable to get the notes from physics lesson
Trazur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 05:43 PM   #15

Hello! May i know where did you get the info for the refrsher course for ME? I'm matriculating this year but i didnt receive any info regarding the refresher course.. Thanks in advance!!
i've pmed u!
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.