HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Question about NTU hall!

Like Tree3Likes
Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2011, 01:33 PM   #16

there's definitely a lot.. esp after last year's massive COP killed so many sinkie applicants.

Just enjoy your hall lah... if you get hall 3 and 16, be prepared to pay for a much higher premium than say the other YOG halls are the old halls...
Massive COP?
Jshen18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:35 PM   #17
Arch-Supremacy Member

hall cut off point... this year one was 17.... most singaporeans cannot achieve this at all.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:01 PM   #18

Base on COP, its very unlikely locals will get a place so most will rely on recommandation list of which each hall can allocate 40 places to residents disregardless of their HAS pts.

Another way is simply to climb up in 1 of the constituent or tier 1 clubs and get into their management commitee as these people are also given a room if they want it.
kcxdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:17 PM   #19
Arch-Supremacy Member

Base on COP, its very unlikely locals will get a place so most will rely on recommandation list of which each hall can allocate 40 places to residents disregardless of their HAS pts.

Another way is simply to climb up in 1 of the constituent or tier 1 clubs and get into their management commitee as these people are also given a room if they want it.

17 HAS. even tier 1 club difficult to save singaporean.

7pts distance + 9 pts mgmt comm still short of 1 pt (unless I chose to stay with foreigner which I didn't). End up 3rd round then got into 2nd choice
Old 08-03-2011, 04:58 PM   #20

17 HAS. even tier 1 club difficult to save singaporean.

7pts distance + 9 pts mgmt comm still short of 1 pt (unless I chose to stay with foreigner which I didn't). End up 3rd round then got into 2nd choice
Management comm people get rooms the year they are elected regardless of their points. Not sure how whether the tier 1 clubs work similiarly but the constituent clubs work that way. However, they will have to wait till after the elections before they get a room and they do not have a choice of where or who they stay with.

The points given is for hall application the following year and not the year of service.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:08 PM   #21
Arch-Supremacy Member

Management comm people get rooms the year they are elected regardless of their points. Not sure how whether the tier 1 clubs work similiarly but the constituent clubs work that way. However, they will have to wait till after the elections before they get a room and they do not have a choice of where or who they stay with.

The points given is for hall application the following year and not the year of service.
Hmmm... tier 1 has this option yes, but still is not guaranteed get, still based on availability, just that you placed on priority. Takes quite a while to process also, not to mention next year u suffer a 2 pt cut.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:13 PM   #22

Hmmm... tier 1 has this option yes, but still is not guaranteed get, still based on availability, just that you placed on priority. Takes quite a while to process also, not to mention next year u suffer a 2 pt cut.
Usually will have availability by 2-3 months cos every year there are freshies that move out deciding that hall life is not for them.

Yeah there is that 2 pts cut but to some ppl, having a room this year is good enough. Unless you stay really far away, whether there is that 2 point cut or not won't really help you get a hall much faster the following year when the cutoff point is still something like 13 or 14 as of last month if i didn't recall wrongly from the email SAO sent me.

Last edited by kcxdes; 08-03-2011 at 05:16 PM..
Old 08-03-2011, 05:23 PM   #23

The only thing you can choose is who your roommate is IF you have a friend who is also a 1st yr student
some try to find a roommate online:
http://forum.brightsparks.com.sg/showthread.php?t=5082
NTU roommate finder thread!!

best if you can find a roommate from your course, then can study together and help each other out.
MatheMeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2011, 05:20 AM   #24

No, for 1st yrs usually will be with locals and foreigners with foreigners. Never heard a case of locals paired with foreigners for freshies UNLESS the initial roommate who should be a local pull out of the room and the person on the waiting list who move in happens to be a foreigner
I'm a 1st year who choose random, then got a china person as roommate
solarwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2011, 09:38 AM   #25

I'm a 1st year who choose random, then got a china person as roommate
U damn heng lo. I stay hall 3 yrs besides those who got room in round 2 and later, no freshie got PRC as roommate and none of my friends who stay in hall kanna that as well.

However, this academic year with the COP being 17, 2 points higher than last academic yr 15, its very easy for those who have roommates who only get their rooms in round 1-3 to be foreigners as almost no locals will be able to meet the COP for the first few rounds of room allocation unless they are on rec list. Unlike previous years where locals can still meet the COP.
Old 23-06-2012, 01:57 AM   #26
Arch-Supremacy Member

later siandiao korkor banhammer u all
Old 23-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #27
Master Member

quite funny..i dun really like to stay in hall but i always can meet the cop..:/whereas those that want to stay hall always fail it..

they also do so much work to get into rec list..but i only participate in 1 hall activity still can get 7pts from hall..:/

i chose hall so that i can study better in the sense i can meet profs to clarify qns or attend classes easier..also during exams period is quite good..

as for the playing part..i dun bother as its a waste of time mingling with all of those pple (theres too many pple)..unfortunately as much as i want to join in the festivities every night, my grades would be affected..unless ur those smart pple study 1 night ok le..den by all means join in the fun

if not if u hang out with them everyday ur probably going to end up failing or doing badly for most of ur exams..i dun think i've ever met any siao-on hall pple who did well for their cgpa..its very hard to juggle both..hard truths

fyi: i've stayed in hall for all 4yrs of my uni life, just grad..i would advise TS to think carefully if he/she wants to stay in hall..dun be lured in by all the fun that it provides..ur going to university for a reason after all

my 2 cents

Last edited by thenewguy; 23-06-2012 at 04:38 PM..
thenewguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2012, 05:03 PM   #28
Arch-Supremacy Member

quite funny..i dun really like to stay in hall but i always can meet the cop..:/whereas those that want to stay hall always fail it..

they also do so much work to get into rec list..but i only participate in 1 hall activity still can get 7pts from hall..:/

i chose hall so that i can study better in the sense i can meet profs to clarify qns or attend classes easier..also during exams period is quite good..

as for the playing part..i dun bother as its a waste of time mingling with all of those pple (theres too many pple)..unfortunately as much as i want to join in the festivities every night, my grades would be affected..unless ur those smart pple study 1 night ok le..den by all means join in the fun

if not if u hang out with them everyday ur probably going to end up failing or doing badly for most of ur exams..i dun think i've ever met any siao-on hall pple who did well for their cgpa..its very hard to juggle both..hard truths

fyi: i've stayed in hall for all 4yrs of my uni life, just grad..i would advise TS to think carefully if he/she wants to stay in hall..dun be lured in by all the fun that it provides..ur going to university for a reason after all

my 2 cents
I stayed in hall 16 for my entire 3 yrs. Never once joined a hall activity and have very few hall friends from my hall.
Caulibeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #29

I stayed in hall 16 for my entire 3 yrs. Never once joined a hall activity and have very few hall friends from my hall.
wah is that how you managed your FCH? quite sian leh if you just go in to mug... but you at least have a few hobbies right? like maybe playing an instrument, a sport or something
Old 23-06-2012, 08:13 PM   #30
Arch-Supremacy Member

wah is that how you managed your FCH? quite sian leh if you just go in to mug... but you at least have a few hobbies right? like maybe playing an instrument, a sport or something
hahaha.. ok lah.. i have friends from my CCA in other halls. not really interested in sports, but i do feed cats in hall 7
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.