HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Question about NTU hall!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2011, 11:38 AM   #1

Question about NTU hall!

Hi everyone! This year, I will be entering NTU for my study! Looking forward to this new lifestyle. Hope I will enjoy my Uni life ^^

I am planning to stay in the hall. But I have very few friends stating in NTU hall. So I need some advices in hall stuff. Normally what you do in hall? And which hall is fun to stay in? I want to get into a fun hall! Is there any differences between each hall?
Jshen18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:50 AM   #2

To know more people in your hall, join JCRC loh, and also their activities, sports, eating out, inter hall games.

The differences of different hall: location and canteen food quality. Hall 1/2 are older with toilets attached their rooms. Hall 3 and above are toilets outside rooms, correct me if I'm wrong.

Hope you'll enjoy!
suangern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:26 PM   #3

Hi everyone! This year, I will be entering NTU for my study! Looking forward to this new lifestyle. Hope I will enjoy my Uni life ^^

I am planning to stay in the hall. But I have very few friends stating in NTU hall. So I need some advices in hall stuff. Normally what you do in hall? And which hall is fun to stay in? I want to get into a fun hall! Is there any differences between each hall?
1st yrs are randomly allocated a hall so you do not get to choose which hall you want to stay in. The only thing you can choose is who your roommate is IF you have a friend who is also a 1st yr student OR you have a elder sibling of the same sex who has to qualify for a room as your roommate.

Every hall will have their own activities such as supper hops, night cycling etc besides the usual block supper. Some have hall productions etc as well. You can also choose to take part in interhall competitions in sports or recreation games of which Hall 3 is usually the sports and overall champ while hall 9 is usually the recreation games champ but of cos such championships only stay with the halls if they continue to get good players to help them win the games.
kcxdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:59 PM   #4

1st yrs are randomly allocated a hall so you do not get to choose which hall you want to stay in. The only thing you can choose is who your roommate is IF you have a friend who is also a 1st yr student OR you have a elder sibling of the same sex who has to qualify for a room as your roommate.

Every hall will have their own activities such as supper hops, night cycling etc besides the usual block supper. Some have hall productions etc as well. You can also choose to take part in interhall competitions in sports or recreation games of which Hall 3 is usually the sports and overall champ while hall 9 is usually the recreation games champ but of cos such championships only stay with the halls if they continue to get good players to help them win the games.
If I don have a friend to be my roommate, they will randomly choose one for me right?
Old 07-03-2011, 02:52 PM   #5

If I don have a friend to be my roommate, they will randomly choose one for me right?
ya but it might be a tiong/neh
FrostWurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:42 PM   #6

ya but it might be a tiong/neh
No, for 1st yrs usually will be with locals and foreigners with foreigners. Never heard a case of locals paired with foreigners for freshies UNLESS the initial roommate who should be a local pull out of the room and the person on the waiting list who move in happens to be a foreigner
Old 07-03-2011, 06:16 PM   #7

No, for 1st yrs usually will be with locals and foreigners with foreigners. Never heard a case of locals paired with foreigners for freshies UNLESS the initial roommate who should be a local pull out of the room and the person on the waiting list who move in happens to be a foreigner
Is there a lot of foreigners in the hall?
Old 07-03-2011, 06:53 PM   #8

my friend random then he got a tiong. lol. not CSB.
FrostWurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:21 PM   #9

CSB? What is that?
Old 07-03-2011, 08:04 PM   #10

CSB? What is that?
CSB is a lingo here

Cool Story Bro !
Chicken_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:41 PM   #11

If 1st day move in already got AT then he has to be very suay cos most halls don't do that unless it just so suay that there is 1 odd freshie and 1 odd foreigner left out then llst lo.

SAO gives the hall office the list of residents, SAO won't count and assure the numbers are nice and usually the hall officers will do their best to match people as best as they can.

Talked with hall officers before and sometimes its the JCRC etc that 'helps' screw things up cos they will sometimes ask to swop people around to help those who attend hall orientation stay together etc etc

Last edited by kcxdes; 07-03-2011 at 09:44 PM..
Old 07-03-2011, 09:46 PM   #12

20% of NTU intake is foreigners, add in all the M'sians etc who got S'pore PR and are treated as locals in uni intake, you can except about half the hall residents to be foreigners since NTU has about 20k students and there are about 9000 beds in all the 16 halls.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:56 PM   #13

20% of NTU intake is foreigners, add in all the M'sians etc who got S'pore PR and are treated as locals in uni intake, you can except about half the hall residents to be foreigners since NTU has about 20k students and there are about 9000 beds in all the 16 halls.
Wow! Sian sian sian
Old 08-03-2011, 01:25 AM   #14

hey if you have any seniors or friends in the ntu halls can ask them to help pull you in one.

i was pulled in to my hall. of course u must be ready to contribute to the hall if u wanna get pulled in. (like good in sports play ihg)
N-thraX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:39 AM   #15
Arch-Supremacy Member

there's definitely a lot.. esp after last year's massive COP killed so many sinkie applicants.

Just enjoy your hall lah... if you get hall 3 and 16, be prepared to pay for a much higher premium than say the other YOG halls are the old halls...
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.