Mechanical Engineering or Material Science and Engineering?

tactic

Reaction score
:s11: Hi guys, need some insights on my question as above.

Narrowed down to these 2 courses, but can't decide between both. Mechanical engineering seems like its more broad and more focused on the application of math and physics. On the other hand, material science and engineering seem to be a hybrid of both science and engineering, and it seems that it requires more chemistry and less physics compared to mech?

What's the pros and cons for each course? Correct me if I'm wrong, I've got a feeling that mech is much harder than materials since its more broad and has a wider base. Materials looks to be much more fun and interesting to study(compared to mech, which seemed to be rather 'dry'), which is an important consideration since sustained interest serves as motivation to study harder. But materials seemed like a specialized field, and I'm not sure whether I will work in the engineering field after I graduate.

My considerations are the difficulty and stress levels of both courses and which course is more applicable to life in general. I would like to read a course that is more holistic and beneficial to personal development in terms of analytical skills and problem solving beyond engineering.

:) Any opinions on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.