NUS Computing (Information Systems) Sem 1

MoxLotus

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I got into IS but I do not have background in IT at all in poly. Will it be difficult to cope? Do you need to be strong in math to study computing? Thanks.

u will have a steep learning curve. but dun worry since there are so many JC students who dun have a background in the course too.

lvestige

Reaction score
u will have a steep learning curve. but dun worry since there are so many JC students who dun have a background in the course too.

Hi MoxLotus, thanks for the input. Is it math intensive? Will I need to be good at math to do well? Thanks!

mgx-alander

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oh man.... :( That means there are a lot of math related modules that are compulsory to take?

for IS its not as much but i think got MA1301 (if not exempted) MA1312 ST2334 and CS1231

for CS u have additional MA1101R

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For most of the maths module, some are related to your F Maths or Maths C in JC. CS1231, CS1232, CS1231S are totally unrelated. For these courses, your understanding will not have any disadvantage versus foreigners. If you like challenges and have a keen mind in exploring your mind on how to think creatively and out of the box, you will find discrete mathematics interesting, else you wouldn't fair too well for them. That's my experience, your mileage may varies.

mgx-alander

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For most of the maths module, some are related to your F Maths or Maths C in JC. CS1231, CS1232, CS1231S are totally unrelated. For these courses, your understanding will not have any disadvantage versus foreigners. If you like challenges and have a keen mind in exploring your mind on how to think creatively and out of the box, you will find discrete mathematics interesting, else you wouldn't fair too well for them. That's my experience, your mileage may varies.

chiu from where 1? where got 1232 1232S :s13:

lvestige

Reaction score
for IS its not as much but i think got MA1301 (if not exempted) MA1312 ST2334 and CS1231

for CS u have additional MA1101R

Thanks mgx-alander!

Thanks davidktw, but sadly I am not from jc. I studied business in poly so I have not been touching math for a very long time. :s11:

MoxLotus

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks mgx-alander!

Thanks davidktw, but sadly I am not from jc. I studied business in poly so I have not been touching math for a very long time. :s11:

woah then how come want to switch field ? ur biz course is so hot and u r not sticking with ur field?

lvestige

Reaction score
woah then how come want to switch field ? ur biz course is so hot and u r not sticking with ur field?

haha I was from accountancy but I didn't enjoy it (and my gpa is not good enough to qualify either acc or biz admin). IS is my second choice actually.

lvestige

Reaction score
Chance is good as a typical demand and supply scenario

oh you mean that there are several successful cases? I am just afraid that I may not get the chance and I will end up being in a course that I cannot excel in. Thanks for the info.

lvestige

Reaction score
Better appeal to FASS during the appeal period. Trust me, Biz and IS is totally different with programming and maths although there's some interesting IT theory module.

I see... does that mean IT is very difficult for someone who has zero knowledge in IT?

mgx-alander

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I see... does that mean IT is very difficult for someone who has zero knowledge in IT?

it depends on your aptitude.. some people after their first programming module, finds it ok and able to handle..

but some people after their 1st programming module, is unable to take it and in the end /quit

I think the maths part should be ok since i gotten B- at least for most of them but the programming part is the thing that will kill you if you are unable to figure out why and how it works :s22: and u are gonna code for the next 4years of ur life

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.