NUS CS Programmes (CS,Turing,neumann) vs CS-ISC vs IS

derek105243

Reaction score
I graduated from SP Dip in Infocomm Security Mgmt sometime in 2013, currently serving NS and will be entering NUS CS this August.

What I want in Uni: To be proficient in various programming languages / be somewhat decent at security-related stuff

I understand NUS-CS has a lot more math than programming, and that sounds disappointing to me.

Questions: What are the difference between the various courses / programmes?

Computing Science, Turing, Von Neumann, Information Systems, and ISC (comp.nus.edu.sg/undergraduates/cs_isc_prospective.html)? - Can't find much info on this, is it new?

Thoughts? Posted here since I realised there's quite a number of CS people here

Last edited:

MoxLotus

Master Member
Reaction score
I graduated from SP Dip in Infocomm Security Mgmt sometime in 2013, currently serving NS and will be entering NUS CS this August.

What I want in Uni: To be proficient in various programming languages / be somewhat decent at security-related stuff

I understand NUS-CS has a lot more math than programming, and that sounds disappointing to me.

Questions: What are the difference between the various courses / programmes?

Computing Science, Turing, Von Neumann, Information Systems, and ISC (comp.nus.edu.sg/undergraduates/cs_isc_prospective.html)? - Can't find much info on this, is it new?

Thoughts? Posted here since I realised there's quite a number of CS people here

Hi incoming junior. I hope that I can clear some of your doubts here. There is programming in almost every CS module in NUS, but if programming is the only thing that is being taught, then why do u even waste your time and money coming to university? I believe that a lot of people can learn programming by themselves. Math is important because soon you will see how it is closely related to the things that you program. Do you think Google Search Engine can be created if the creator didn't have any math knowledge? So from now till August, do brush up on your math while you are still free to do so. Once the school term begins, you will be overwhelmed with all the modules contents that you barely have any time to do any revision. the pace here in uni is very fast. do not compare it with what you had in poly. If you think that you have done well in poly with perfect GPA, therefore uni life is gonna be a piece of cake. then I guess you had it all wrong.

There are only 2 modules in NUS computing that teaches programming language and they are CS1010/CS1020 (And their variants). However they only teach the basic features of the language which is enough for you to solve programming problems. Over here, programming language is not the focus, we are training the students on how to solve problems. For all the subsequent modules that requires programming, you will need to pick up those language by yourself. (If you are lucky, there might be a 1 hr crash course on a language. After that you are on your own.)

IS and ISC(A new major) are majors under SoC but not part of CS.
Turing and Von Neumann Programmes are special programmes under CS. The Turing programme gear the students towards research while Von Neumann programme is more industry oriented. Both of these programmes hold selection after your first year in NUS. To stay in this programme, you will need to maintain a CAP of 4.0 and above.

From
3rd year CS(vNP)

xClementx

Master Member
Reaction score
sounds like CS specializing in IT security would be for you. you're being too vague with proficient in different programming languages. what kind of value do you want to offer to organizations after you graduate?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.