HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

NUS hall! Which one?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-04-2017, 11:38 PM   #1

NUS hall! Which one?

Hi everyone!

I am about to go to university this year and am offered a course in FASS.

Would like to ask which hall best to stay in? Perhaps you could fill me in on the differences between each hall?
In terms of
1. personality of members
2. perception of the hall in general
3. what they are known to be good at
4. the physical outlook/ condition of hall
5. any relevant information that you think I might need to know!

I am really quite lost as to where I can begin to embark on this hall journey and would appreciate any help I get!!

I am Super cheerful and lively, love making friends, laughing and having lots of fun and would say that I am usually likeable haha I am not very good at sports but always up to try new things! I'm pretty decent at dancing and singing! Love planning and Organising events!

To me, fun outgoing friendly and sincere hall mates are Super important! Outlook of rooms Is also a factor!

Once again thanks for your help!!
Nastashaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 01:10 AM   #2
Master Member

Kent Ridge: new facilities. reputation as quite 'happening'. nearest to Biz

Sheares: new facilities. reputation as quite 'happening'

Eusoff: sports hall. facilities might be a bit dated. nearest to FASS

Temasek: sports hall. facilities might be a bit dated

Raffles: no idea but its the most central of all the halls

King Edward 7th: located very out of the way. i rarely ever see KE7 people around in arts
Arceptionist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 05:42 PM   #3
Supremacy Member

TS never consider RC?

Sent from Huawei NEXUS 6P using GAGT
monikernemo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 04:34 PM   #4
Arch-Supremacy Member

If possible, apply to one of the Halls, then the RCs, then PGP is the last option.

The reason is because the level of activities, happeningness, and group bonding goes like that : Halls first then RCs then PGP.

In terms of differences in culture and tradition, each Hall has its own unique traditions, but many are shared and similar, like for eg, the social structures are similar, many calendar events are similar, etc.
But each Hall has its own unique traditions too.
In the main, they are similar.

I highly recommend not looking at the physical facilities. It's not important.
The older ones are actually better since they have a better physical layout which is more conducive for social interactions and group activities.
They are low-rise and have U-shape blocks and courtyard lawn, kind of, so it's closer to a "kampong" setting than the newer high-rise ones.
Older ones have slightly bigger rooms too.

The main difference is if you're into sports rather seriously. The sport talents are concentrated in a few Halls, namely Temasek, Eusoff, and KentRidge. If you want to train with teammates at a similar high level, then you could consider this.

Another difference is the population of the residents. The Halls would have more residents of certain faculties, depending on the distance to the faculties.
So KE7 tend to have more medical students. Raffles tend to have more engineering students. Etc.
But this is not a very strong trait since all Halls are still mixed and accept everyone.

And some Halls have double rooms while some are single rooms only.
If you like to be roommates together with your friend, then you could consider this too.

Last but not least, just enjoy yourself and whichever one you join, be active and join everything !!

Last edited by Meat Bao; 20-09-2017 at 07:02 PM..
Meat Bao is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.