NUS ppl lip lai - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlogambino

Master Member
Reaction score
then how do you handle a double degree :o

I must really learn from you...

Seemed terribly hectic being a law student AND a practising lawyer, not sure if i am up to it...

Double degree= no difference because as a general rule, you are only allowed to take law modules with the rest of the single degree law cohort (i.e in a semester where you are reading law modules, you read them exclusively, without mixing and matching with say econs mods). DDP entails only one extra year because you skimp on electives.

Law student & practicing lawyer? You can only practice after you graduate with a law degree, so I don't see what you mean by this question. A law student (at the bachelor level) is not allowed to practice.

If you mean being a law student/practicing lawyer, then yes, the workload is going to be very heavy. But:

1. Everything comes at a price. You get compensated well in return for sacrificing your work-life balance.
2. You may be heartened that a large majority of law students don't actually read most of the prescribed content.

At this juncture I just want to point out that many lawyers are not very good at the law, simply because they don't struggle through law school in accordance with the pedagogical structure of the legal education syllabus (i.e they don't read/write what they are supposed to read/write). At the end of the day, a lot of what makes a successful lawyer has nothing to do with the law -- "soft" social/client interaction skills, negotiation skills and the like.

The people who are really good at the law are the legal academics. To draw an analogy, many practicing doctors are not very good at biomedical research. But here the distinction is blurred because it seems to be very artificial to speak of "legal academic research" as distinct from the "practice of the law". Justice was never meant to be a client-centric conception.

This is also why the best students never end up as lawyers but as academics instead.

Last edited:

fzhfzh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Best students from any place end up as academics most of the time.

carlogambino

Master Member
Reaction score
i can't believe that such a ridiculous fool was invited to speak at NUS. really facepalm TTM.

Comment from a law friend who saw your post:

"greenspeak is entitled to his opinion but I think he's a flaming idiot if he doesn't understand /why/ Stallman takes the positions he does. Sure, it's inconvenient as hell, and Stallman acknowledges that, but he also made a pretty good argument for why he does what he does. His position is logically consistent; lots of us are happy to pick convenience over moral principle and/or privacy concerns (which is why we continue to use Facebook, for instance; or why even if we use GNU/Linux we still install Flash and write in .docx) but Stallman isn't willing to compromise.

Tangent: I think Stallman makes some of us feel threatened because he shows just how much you have to give up to be morally consistent; we are all creatures of moral compromise, and don't necessarily like being reminded of it.

Things like these (viz. observed general absence of rationality, or commitment to rationality, in non-curated public fora) are why I am increasingly finding it hard to believe in the ability of the electorate to make rational political, economic, or social decisions. But rational or not, the people are still the only ones with the /right/ to make those decisions for the entire polity."

fzhfzh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
True, I won't say Stallman is a fool. He simply differs from the rest and upholds his principles. I might not agree with him, but I could not say that his rationale for doing so is stupid.

Pity that I missed his talk today because of project meeting...

abc1987

Master Member
Reaction score
actually i'm interested to find how mean and median starting pay for nus econs grad...

almost all my friends of my batch are having trouble getting job offers. across all majors and universities.

from my friends who grad last year from nus econs w/o hons, their ave pay is like 2.9k?

among a sample size of maybe 20 lol.

mgx-alander

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Comment from a law friend who saw your post:

"greenspeak is entitled to his opinion but I think he's a flaming idiot if he doesn't understand /why/ Stallman takes the positions he does. Sure, it's inconvenient as hell, and Stallman acknowledges that, but he also made a pretty good argument for why he does what he does. His position is logically consistent; lots of us are happy to pick convenience over moral principle and/or privacy concerns (which is why we continue to use Facebook, for instance; or why even if we use GNU/Linux we still install Flash and write in .docx) but Stallman isn't willing to compromise.

Tangent: I think Stallman makes some of us feel threatened because he shows just how much you have to give up to be morally consistent; we are all creatures of moral compromise, and don't necessarily like being reminded of it.

Things like these (viz. observed general absence of rationality, or commitment to rationality, in non-curated public fora) are why I am increasingly finding it hard to believe in the ability of the electorate to make rational political, economic, or social decisions. But rational or not, the people are still the only ones with the /right/ to make those decisions for the entire polity."

troll-face.jpg

Arthritis

Reaction score
Econs is extremely mathematical at the university level, and is very different from psychology which stresses on qualitative readings and essays.

Both are general degrees while econs do have an edge over economist jobs in the civil service and in general the financial sector.
However, if you do not intend to end up there then there's really no difference.

It's better to do something you like and you will have higher chance of scoring better. For e.g., a 2nd upper in psych beats a 2nd lower in econs in general.

yeah so i've heard. but then plowing through large stacks of notes / books isn't what i imagine for psych either. but again, it's not like my interest will translate into good results :( what're you taking?

psych ftw !

what're you taking?

Buaya_Hunter

Banned
Reaction score
True, I won't say Stallman is a fool. He simply differs from the rest and upholds his principles. I might not agree with him, but I could not say that his rationale for doing so is stupid.

Pity that I missed his talk today because of project meeting...

I can't even travel back to NUS .... :s22:

swordsly

Master Member
Reaction score
SoC seniors who took CS3241 lip lai help moi! :sad:

I'm trying to draw a torus for my lab assignment.
I've found the equation to get a torus, defined:

x=(c+a cos v)*cos u
y=(c+a cos v)*sin u
z=a sin v

And by modifying the code to draw a sphere, I've derived the following:
Code:
int i,j;
float c = 0.6, a = 0.4;
int n = 30;
for(i=0;i<n*2;i++)
for(j=0;j<2*n;j++)

glNormal3d((c+a*cos((i+0.5)*M_PI/n))*cos((j+0.5)*M_PI/n),
						   (c+a*cos((i+0.5)*M_PI/n))*sin((j+0.5)*M_PI/n),
						   (a*sin((i+0.5)*M_PI/n)));

glVertex3d(r*(c+a*cos(j*M_PI/n))*cos(i*M_PI/n),
						   r*(c+a*cos(j*M_PI/n))*sin(i*M_PI/n),
						   r*(a*sin(j*M_PI/n)));
				glVertex3d(r*(c+a*cos((j+1)*M_PI/n))*cos(i*M_PI/n),
						   r*(c+a*cos((j+1)*M_PI/n))*sin(i*M_PI/n),
						   r*(a*sin(j*M_PI/n)));
				glVertex3d(r*(c+a*cos((j+1)*M_PI/n))*cos((i+1)*M_PI/n),
						   r*(c+a*cos((j+1)*M_PI/n))*sin((i+1)*M_PI/n),
						   r*(a*sin((j+1)*M_PI/n)));
				glVertex3d(r*(c+a*cos(j*M_PI/n))*cos((i+1)*M_PI/n),
						   r*(c+a*cos(j*M_PI/n))*sin((i+1)*M_PI/n),
						   r*(a*sin((j+1)*M_PI/n)));

The above code draws with flat surface and it works. 1st few lines to show what's i, j, c, a and n.

However I realized that my torus seems to have "gaps" in between. Is there anything wrong with my code?

torus.gif

Last edited:

tokiya

Banned
Reaction score
yeah so i've heard. but then plowing through large stacks of notes / books isn't what i imagine for psych either. but again, it's not like my interest will translate into good results :( what're you taking?

what're you taking?

social work...

good thing about NUS is you can try both econs and psych mods before u decide to major.
to get a taste of EC, take EC2104 mathematical methods in your first semester. ec1101e is a false and inaccurate taste of higher level mods. if you like 2104 and can do well then you probably shouldn't have any problems majoring in it

SoriyaGTR34

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
social work...

good thing about NUS is you can try both econs and psych mods before u decide to major.
to get a taste of EC, take EC2104 mathematical methods in your first semester. ec1101e is a false and inaccurate taste of higher level mods. if you like 2104 and can do well then you probably shouldn't have any problems majoring in it

haha,I took 2104 this sem...surprisingly until now not that tough to follow...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.