NUS ppl lip lai - Part 4

Like Tree622Likes
Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2012, 12:10 AM   #1396
Master Member

the best advice is this: be proactive, and pray for good luck.
i don't trust this anymore.

i'm as pathetic as i can be and luck didn't help one bit.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:14 AM   #1397
Master Member

if you happen to end up in NUS do note that applying via the general NUS career centre is a liability. Their webportal application is in such a pathetic mess that you will likely never hear from any of those that you sent. I have sent hundreds and 2 got back to me.

Find them yourself, do a good job, build your network, maintain a good relationship with your boss, get a recommendation letter before you leave. Keep in touch. When you are reaching your penultimate or final year the really prestigious firms do investigate your background and referrals and having those personal recommendations letter from the employer directly beats any kind of farked up document you get from career centre (which I doubt you can get in the first place)

If you really end up in NUS econs I do not mind offering you some advice because it's hard to compete with the other universities in terms of career exposure and prep imo.
thanks. I really hope to be outstanding and really be at the top. then can i find great jobs.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:19 AM   #1398
Master Member

waiting for offer from nus first...
Why not SMU? Imho your personality is more suited to SMU. The same goes for your career goals.

if you happen to end up in NUS do note that applying via the general NUS career centre is a liability. Their webportal application is in such a pathetic mess that you will likely never hear from any of those that you sent. I have sent hundreds and 2 got back to me.

Find them yourself, do a good job, build your network, maintain a good relationship with your boss, get a recommendation letter before you leave. Keep in touch. When you are reaching your penultimate or final year the really prestigious firms do investigate your background and referrals and having those personal recommendations letter from the employer directly beats any kind of farked up document you get from career centre (which I doubt you can get in the first place)

If you really end up in NUS econs I do not mind offering you some advice because it's hard to compete with the other universities in terms of career exposure and prep imo.
Just apply to the firms directly la. I have never applied via the career centre before. Firms have websites which provide further procedural instructions on how to apply for internships with them.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:35 AM   #1399
Master Member

Why not SMU? Imho your personality is more suited to SMU. The same goes for your career goals.

Just apply to the firms directly la. I have never applied via the career centre before. Firms have websites which provide further procedural instructions on how to apply for internships with them.
haha this is interesting. How is my personality suited for SMU? I may be just a keyboard warrior, not someone vocal enough to slit other people's throat hahaha.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:42 AM   #1400
Master Member

haha this is interesting. How is my personality suited for SMU? I may be just a keyboard warrior, not someone vocal enough to slit other people's throat hahaha.
You don't wanna work as a public sector economist right? Grad school not for you? You wish to work in banks next time? Finance career with a high income?

Then SMU biz is for you. If not biz then economics (if you can't get biz).
Old 05-04-2012, 12:47 AM   #1401
Master Member

You don't wanna work as a public sector economist right? Grad school not for you? You wish to work in banks next time? Finance career with a high income?

Then SMU biz is for you. If not biz then economics (if you can't get biz).
i chose not to do biz but econs. but the teaching system in SMU...if it ruins my GPA, then I can forget about all of the above =/

a thought just came into mind. can a NUS degree gives me job opportunities overseas? like Canary Wharf?
Old 05-04-2012, 12:57 AM   #1402
Supremacy Member

i chose not to do biz but econs. but the teaching system in SMU...if it ruins my GPA, then I can forget about all of the above =/

a thought just came into mind. can a NUS degree gives me job opportunities overseas? like Canary Wharf?
London/NYC is gonna be hard. If you wanna go overseas, HK is a lot easier.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:22 AM   #1403
Master Member

dun follow in my footsteps.. will die horribly until no tomorrow.
really will become NMNHNLM one.
lol NMNHLM!

already one

its not even iron ricebowl anymore, many civil service jobs are just on a 1 year contract nowadays.
agree

yeah you are on your own. any documents depends on the company. for my first internship, nus career centre emailed me and asked me to fill in some long form and say that they would give me a certificate of participation for finding an 'internship through them'. i had actually found it myself, but being a noob i filled in the form. then they never reply me at all. 9 months later they email me ask me be their 'internship spokesman' at some career talk so i said 'okay, give me my cert first'. the person was like 'okay i'll get back to you'. and nobody got back to me, and till now, i still don't have the cert lol.
did you try to complain to them?
sound like that fooling around with you leh?

or you just cannot be bothered with them anymore?

and during my former course's pre matriculation talk, there was a representative from NUS career center who advertise until like NUS career center will work out a perfect path for your career

well, after looking at these insightful posts
reality speaks louder
Old 05-04-2012, 03:22 AM   #1404
Supremacy Member

quite easy to find job actually... went to internship interview yesterday and today they sent me offer already...
Old 05-04-2012, 07:18 AM   #1405
Supremacy Member

dunno abt econs, but for compewting, if u did ur SEP at one at the nicer schools at CA, an internship is almost guaranteed

Last edited by dskw; 05-04-2012 at 07:20 AM..
Old 05-04-2012, 08:08 AM   #1406

Hello, anyone in NUS Project Facilities management?
Old 05-04-2012, 08:27 AM   #1407
Master Member

lol NMNHLM!

already one

agree

did you try to complain to them?
sound like that fooling around with you leh?

or you just cannot be bothered with them anymore?

and during my former course's pre matriculation talk, there was a representative from NUS career center who advertise until like NUS career center will work out a perfect path for your career

well, after looking at these insightful posts
reality speaks louder
can't be bothered to waste my time with them. anyway i found a job already.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:56 AM   #1408
Master Member

dunno abt econs, but for compewting, if u did ur SEP at one at the nicer schools at CA, an internship is almost guaranteed
hmm. this sounds like a good plan.

SEP can only go after 1 academic year right?

can't be bothered to waste my time with them. anyway i found a job already.
why did you choose MAS ar?
Old 05-04-2012, 10:32 AM   #1409
Master Member

quite easy to find job actually... went to internship interview yesterday and today they sent me offer already...
It really depends on your job sector la.

I really don't mean to show-off or anything, but just to give the rest of the forum some "market reality", I applied for 10 law internships (ranging from international law firms like Clifford Chance to law minister K.Shanmugam's ex-law firm Allen & Gledhill to Davinder Singh's Drew & Napier) and all accepted. These are the biggest law firms in Singapore, not some random SMEs.

Undersupply of lawyers means that it is an employees' market out there. So I get to pick and choose. Not the firms. And to be honest, my grades aren't even that fantastic (only on dean's list and I don't even have an academic book prize to my name).
Old 05-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #1410
Master Member

Will be going there next sem. UCB right? Lol
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.