HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

NUS SCIENCE(STATISTICS)

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-05-2012, 10:54 AM   #16
Arch-Supremacy Member

thanks man. It seems majoring in stats will automatically fulfil the module requirements for qf?
the 4 module required will also fulfill the graduating requirement of stats... you jus have to make sure u complete that particular 4 module within the first 2 semester.
Old 17-05-2012, 11:23 AM   #17

the 4 module required will also fulfill the graduating requirement of stats... you jus have to make sure u complete that particular 4 module within the first 2 semester.
i see. Thanks for the info.
ForTheWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #18

Side question. Are there a lot of FT in stats and applied maths?
I rmb one post stating there are 34 PRC and 1 local in the 2009 batch of QF. That's like wtf to me!
Old 17-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #19
High Supremacy Member

yes ft are everywhere
Old 17-05-2012, 04:29 PM   #20

i know ft can only go science engineering or computer coz they are not allowed to go fass school of design business etc.
Old 17-05-2012, 05:00 PM   #21
Arch-Supremacy Member

really? they are not allowed in fass/etc?

Anyway... i think atleast half of the ppl in a typical math mod will be FT.
Old 17-05-2012, 05:46 PM   #22
Banned

Only applies to PRCs nations who came to NUS through the sm2/sm3 program..
kingtrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 09:47 PM   #23

Only applies to PRCs nations who came to NUS through the sm2/sm3 program..
oic. Yup that's the sm2/sm3 program and I tot it applies to other nations too.
The programme takes in 300 students every year.
Old 17-05-2012, 09:48 PM   #24

half is an insane number you know? Like that how to get good grades when they are smarter/more hardworking/better foundation?
Old 17-05-2012, 09:56 PM   #25
Master Member

Paging for Frankiefool~

Anyway, year 1 going year 2 stats student here (assuming my application to certain major fail). not tht sure about job prospect, i opted for statistics cos i wan to be an actuarial (and NTU dun wan me) so i did not really research into other fields. but i think i read somwhere tht u can be an auditor. You can also venture into the banking and finance sector, but from wat i heard from frankiefool, it is not easy to get an internship there as they onli pick the best.

difficulty wise, it really depends on individual. if u are aiming for first class, hard work is definitely needed, as so far for me, all the core mod (mainly math for first year) have very stiff competition as nearly half of the students in the mod are PRC and their math is really zai.

and for university life and culture, it is somehow link to the previous point... unless u r really talented in math or ur hobby is reading math tht are way beyond A'lvl (i know atleast one guy who is like tht), a fulfilling university life and excellent grade generally does not co-exists
Hi!

Was wondering if you know if someone does Acturial Science, besides being an Actuary, what other sorts of career can he persue?
Irenicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 11:17 PM   #26
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi!

Was wondering if you know if someone does Acturial Science, besides being an Actuary, what other sorts of career can he persue?
lol i tot u r goin econs? or smu? and no i dunno anyone who does actuarial science.. u can try asking in ntu forum.

half is an insane number you know? Like that how to get good grades when they are smarter/more hardworking/better foundation?
half including other nationality.. but PRC forms the majority of them... and better foundation/ more hardworking yes... but i dun think all of them are smarter (atleast i wish to think it so).
Old 17-05-2012, 11:31 PM   #27

lol i tot u r goin econs? or smu? and no i dunno anyone who does actuarial science.. u can try asking in ntu forum.

half including other nationality.. but PRC forms the majority of them... and better foundation/ more hardworking yes... but i dun think all of them are smarter (atleast i wish to think it so).
hopefully i can survive when i go there.
Old 17-05-2012, 11:35 PM   #28
Master Member

lol i tot u r goin econs? or smu? and no i dunno anyone who does actuarial science.. u can try asking in ntu forum..
yea, just thinking of 2nd major in acturial science...
Irenicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 12:16 AM   #29

Sigh I feel damn sad coz me myself also FT(non-scholar) but I've been studying in SG since sec 1.
I feel pretty much like a average Singaporean here but it's saddening to know there are smarter FTs in the course.
Old 21-05-2012, 09:26 PM   #30

Entry to QF is merit-based, even though the qualifying requirement is 3.50. But to be honest, I hardly see people entering QF with CAP below 4.5.

Which means to say, if your CAP is below 4.5 and you manage to get into QF, probably you'll have a high passion and that the interviewers are impressed enough.

... and don't worry much about the interviews, that's the tip from me. As long as you've the interest in the Finance industry, it'll show.
Raichu29125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.