HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

NUS SCIENCE(STATISTICS)

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-05-2012, 09:59 PM   #31
Arch-Supremacy Member

Entry to QF is merit-based, even though the qualifying requirement is 3.50. But to be honest, I hardly see people entering QF with CAP below 4.5.

Which means to say, if your CAP is below 4.5 and you manage to get into QF, probably you'll have a high passion and that the interviewers are impressed enough.

... and don't worry much about the interviews, that's the tip from me. As long as you've the interest in the Finance industry, it'll show.
Thanks for the advice... but im not very good at toking anyway, i have been having some second tots recently... altho im highly interested in finance and investing all those kind of stuff, but im putting myself at a disadvantage (if i manage to get in) bcos my math is weak and all the projects from FIN is very daunting to me due to my personality... so i will probably see how i do for MA2108 first before submitting my application. anyway, in ur opinion, wat do u think of ma2108 compared to other core ma module?
Old 25-05-2012, 10:09 PM   #32

Thanks for the advice... but im not very good at toking anyway, i have been having some second tots recently... altho im highly interested in finance and investing all those kind of stuff, but im putting myself at a disadvantage (if i manage to get in) bcos my math is weak and all the projects from FIN is very daunting to me due to my personality... so i will probably see how i do for MA2108 first before submitting my application. anyway, in ur opinion, wat do u think of ma2108 compared to other core ma module?
I must say, among all Level 2000 MA modules, I've enjoyed MA2108 the most (not including MA2216 here because that's ST2131, a Stat module in my opinion, haha!). Not sure if it translates to results though, keeping my fingers crossed next Monday.

QF is more about what you'll need to learn within the tight 160 MC requirements (Yes! You'll soon realise that 160 MCs isn't enough for you!). I would say in the industry, Numerical Analysis is quite important there, but the fact in NUS is, that they've quite sucky lecturers dealing with that field. Good researchers yes, but just don't know how to pass down their knowledge to the students.

I hardly come to HWZ forums that often (as you can see my join date vs post count), but I'll just try come by this topic. Alternatively, just PM me .
Raichu29125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 07:41 AM   #33
Arch-Supremacy Member

lol i think i no need to worry about QF liao, screwed up this sem..
Old 28-05-2012, 09:58 PM   #34

lol i think i no need to worry about QF liao, screwed up this sem..
Just apply. Because this year they've time to interview tons of people
Raichu29125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #35

Hi! Im actually going fos stats in just 2 weeks! Im feeling very nervous about modules bidding and the new environment, can anyone please help?! :-):-)
strawberrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 07:46 PM   #36
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi! Im actually going fos stats in just 2 weeks! Im feeling very nervous about modules bidding and the new environment, can anyone please help?! :-):-)
if u r a guy:

go for o-week

if u r a gal:

i would like to help, wat thing are u not sure about
Old 23-07-2012, 10:35 PM   #37

if u r a guy:

go for o-week

if u r a gal:

i would like to help
, wat thing are u not sure about
Jiaw3i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2012, 03:26 PM   #38

if u r a guy:

go for o-week

if u r a gal:

Im a girl! i tried to apply for sow but doubt I'll got in since it's rather packed! i need help regarding bidding! are the core modules preallocated or i have to bid? and do you have any easy gem or ss modules to recommend me to take?? Haha. and i heard that stats is really competitive?!
Old 25-07-2012, 04:34 PM   #39

Hey guys, been reading this forum for quite some time but only created an account for myself recently. Hope that i can contribute and make more friends.i should be the same batch as darkzion but my CAP is way sucky, especially MA2108 which is a proving killer. i once have much plans about QF/ minor in financial maths like u guys but as reality sets in, think i should just be contented getting through uni life ba.

Anyway strawberrygirl, u can always find guide about the bidding CORS online. dont be too worried even if u cant get in the SOW, the CORS is rather user friendly. If not we can always answer your queries over this forum. And for stats, there's no pre-allocated modules which can be quite a pain and taxing on P account points. And so we have to bid for all our modules every sem. For recommended modules, i would say EC1301 since most ppl started off with that if u have econs background and the exam is all MCQ. But just have to take note that the bell curve is rather steep.
Rusty89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2012, 05:57 PM   #40

Hey guys, been reading this forum for quite some time but only created an account for myself recently. Hope that i can contribute and make more friends.i should be the same batch as darkzion but my CAP is way sucky, especially MA2108 which is a proving killer. i once have much plans about QF/ minor in financial maths like u guys but as reality sets in, think i should just be contented getting through uni life ba.

Anyway strawberrygirl, u can always find guide about the bidding CORS online. dont be too worried even if u cant get in the SOW, the CORS is rather user friendly. If not we can always answer your queries over this forum. And for stats, there's no pre-allocated modules which can be quite a pain and taxing on P account points. And so we have to bid for all our modules every sem. For recommended modules, i would say EC1301 since most ppl started off with that if u have econs background and the exam is all MCQ. But just have to take note that the bell curve is rather steep.
Steep bell curve meaning? actually i have been through cors talks by prof and the cors slides on the web, but i still feel that i know nothing about it.. would like to know if for each round, how many times can you bid? if its more than once, then won't your bid get beaten as the day goes by? ec1301 as gem is it?
Old 25-07-2012, 09:03 PM   #41
Arch-Supremacy Member

Im a girl! i tried to apply for sow but doubt I'll got in since it's rather packed! i need help regarding bidding! are the core modules preallocated or i have to bid? and do you have any easy gem or ss modules to recommend me to take?? Haha. and i heard that stats is really competitive?!
stats does not preallocate any module to u, so u have to plan and bid everything urself, my advice is have a balanced mixture of module every sem.. maybe 3 core, 1 unrestricted elective and 1 fac/uni requirement per sem. (u can visit my blog to have a rough idea as i listed wat are the mod i took for my first 2 sems)

like wat Rusty89 had said, ec1301 is one of the must take if u have econs background, as it is mostly a revision of JC econs and it will help to satisfy one of the breadth req. there are also alot of other GEK/GEM for u to choose, and there are bound to be some that will interest you. i personally think that choosing a mod based on ur interest is much better than choosing a mod bcos other ppl think it is easy. ss wise, there is a mod called sss1207, which is the onli ss that has MCQ that i know of and it is also one of the few offered by sci.. so u might be interested in it, esp if ur language is not good. however sss1207 is onli offered during sem2.

Steep bell curve meaning? actually i have been through cors talks by prof and the cors slides on the web, but i still feel that i know nothing about it.. would like to know if for each round, how many times can you bid? if its more than once, then won't your bid get beaten as the day goes by? ec1301 as gem is it?
steep bell curve means that if u scored 98/100 for the module.. but everyone else scored 99 and above, u will still be given a very low grade. basically the bell curve is something like a normal curve.. eg. top 25% of the students will get A- and above, the next 50% will get btw B- and B+ etc etc.. so if the module is very easy, then the score needed to get an A will be skewed to the left (skewed left means bulk of the curve is on the right), and hence it will be called a steep bell curve. such mod can be bad bcos any careless mistakes can be fatal for ur grades.

for the biding, u can bid as many times as u wan before the bidding round is over..and no, u wont get beaten as the days goes by unless alot of ppl is bidding for very limited slots which i dun think it will happen for ur first sem.
Old 25-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #42

if u r a guy:

go for o-week

if u r a gal:

Buaya spotted

Old 25-07-2012, 09:18 PM   #43

stats does not preallocate any module to u, so u have to plan and bid everything urself, my advice is have a balanced mixture of module every sem.. maybe 3 core, 1 unrestricted elective and 1 fac/uni requirement per sem. (u can visit my blog to have a rough idea as i listed wat are the mod i took for my first 2 sems)

like wat Rusty89 had said, ec1301 is one of the must take if u have econs background, as it is mostly a revision of JC econs and it will help to satisfy one of the breadth req. there are also alot of other GEK/GEM for u to choose, and there are bound to be some that will interest you. i personally think that choosing a mod based on ur interest is much better than choosing a mod bcos other ppl think it is easy. ss wise, there is a mod called sss1207, which is the onli ss that has MCQ that i know of and it is also one of the few offered by sci.. so u might be interested in it, esp if ur language is not good. however sss1207 is onli offered during sem2.

steep bell curve means that if u scored 98/100 for the module.. but everyone else scored 99 and above, u will still be given a very low grade. basically the bell curve is something like a normal curve.. eg. top 25% of the students will get A- and above, the next 50% will get btw B- and B+ etc etc.. so if the module is very easy, then the score needed to get an A will be skewed to the left (skewed left means bulk of the curve is on the right), and hence it will be called a steep bell curve. such mod can be bad bcos any careless mistakes can be fatal for ur grades.

for the biding, u can bid as many times as u wan before the bidding round is over..and no, u wont get beaten as the days goes by unless alot of ppl is bidding for very limited slots which i dun think it will happen for ur first sem.
wow, thanks a lot!! ya, i would love to visit your blog! i took econs in jc, but i did badly, got an e! i heard that if a module is available for bidding in round 1 open bidding then it wouldn't be available for the closed bidding, is it true? are most of st modules calculations? honestly, Im trying to avoid essays! Haha.
Old 25-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #44
Arch-Supremacy Member

Buaya spotted

hello frankie howz life after ord-ed from nus

wow, thanks a lot!! ya, i would love to visit your blog! i took econs in jc, but i did badly, got an e! i heard that if a module is available for bidding in round 1 open bidding then it wouldn't be available for the closed bidding, is it true? are most of st modules calculations? honestly, Im trying to avoid essays! Haha.
EC1301 no need essay writing one, all mcq.. jus becareful dun make any careless mistakes can liao... and aim for full marks for the assignments can liao... which is wat u need to aim for in all other mods as well, cos everyone will be getting near full mark for their assignments.

in every round, eg round 1A, there will be an open bidding and closed bidding.. the onli difference is during open bidding, u will be able to view the latest info such as min bid, highest bid, min successful bid, number of bidders etc.. but during closed bidding, you will onli be able to view the number of bidders.

And it does not really matter whether u place ur bid during closed bid or open bid.. as long as the amount u bid is bigger than the min success bid at the end of the round, u will be able to get the mod.

there r no proving in st1131.. cant rmb much about st2131... but i think sld have... but expect alot of proving for the MA core mods... especially MA2108... almost the entire paper is about proving.. and i cannot do atleast half of the paper for the final exam...

Last edited by Darkzi0n; 25-07-2012 at 10:24 PM..
Darkzi0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2012, 11:02 PM   #45

st2131 not really that much of proving, mostly problem solving. just that last sem st2131 finals is kinda different from the past yr papers. anyway what mod are you taking darkzion? st2132 and st2137?

anyway most st mod should most probably be focused more on calculations since i have only taken 2 st mod so far, so this is as far as what i have known. however, do take note that st major have got to take math mod in their first yr and be competing with math and app math major so the proving portion will most probably be the infamous ma2108. If a mod is available for open bidding then it will be for closed bidding just without more information.
Rusty89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.