HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

NUS SCIENCE(STATISTICS)

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-07-2012, 11:08 PM   #46
Arch-Supremacy Member

st2131 not really that much of proving, mostly problem solving. just that last sem st2131 finals is kinda different from the past yr papers. anyway what mod are you taking darkzion? st2132 and st2137?

anyway most st mod should most probably be focused more on calculations since i have only taken 2 st mod so far, so this is as far as what i have known. however, do take note that st major have got to take math mod in their first yr and be competing with math and app math major so the proving portion will most probably be the infamous ma2108. If a mod is available for open bidding then it will be for closed bidding just without more information.
yea i will be doin both of them.. hopefully can bid for it.. no more points in my P account liao... stupid CS1010 took all my points
Old 25-07-2012, 11:40 PM   #47

yea i will be doin both of them.. hopefully can bid for it.. no more points in my P account liao... stupid CS1010 took all my points
Yea, i know right. the slots were so limited that lifeng have to open up new ones. i have got to appeal to be able to take it.
Rusty89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 12:07 AM   #48

Darkzion, so lets say my bid is higher than the min bid in open bidding, does it mean that i will get the module? and can i have your blog's url? cs1010 is only available in sem 2 is it?

Rusty89, goodluck for your appeal! :-):-) the bell curve applies to all modules or depending on the lecturer?
strawberrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 12:53 AM   #49
Arch-Supremacy Member

Yea, i know right. the slots were so limited that lifeng have to open up new ones. i have got to appeal to be able to take it.
yea loh.. they sld have refunded us some points atleast... i still think is their fault for havin such severe shortage in number of slots avaliable.. if they had opened up all 4 slots, they bid point wouldnt had been so high.

Darkzion, so lets say my bid is higher than the min bid in open bidding, does it mean that i will get the module? and can i have your blog's url? cs1010 is only available in sem 2 is it?

Rusty89, goodluck for your appeal! :-):-) the bell curve applies to all modules or depending on the lecturer?
nah, u wont know until the round closes (closes as in after the closed bidding ended.. and they will onli notify u the biding result at ard midnight of that day)... u can think of the open bidding and close bidding as 2 stages of a single round.. the onli difference btw the 2 stages is the amount of info avaliable.. otherwise, everything else is the same.. both still belong to the same round.

my blog's url is at my siggy there (bottom of my post), u sld be able to see it unless u r using a mobile.. but here it is Invest Wizar Journal

and nah CS1010 is avaliable on both sem.. but bcos i need to take it by sem2 of my first year in order to fulfill some requirement.. so i die die need to take it last sem.

im not sure about higher lvl mods, but most of the mods that u will be taking for next 2 semester will probably be bell curved based.. the onli exception that i know of is CS1010.

Last edited by Darkzi0n; 26-07-2012 at 12:56 AM..
Darkzi0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 01:43 AM   #50
Master Member

the bell curve applies to all modules or depending on the lecturer?
It depends on the lecturer as well as the cohort as well. Sometimes the lecturer can choose not to apply the bell curve if the cohort is too small/strong

Case in point:

CS1101S (I took it in AY10/11 under Prof Ben Leong) - 75% of the cohort (which is ~60 people) got A- and above for this module. But this is also partly due to the fact that my batch is quite strong

MA3111S in AY10/11 (and many of the S-modules in Math) - The professor gave at least A- for everyone in the class of 11 people. But then again, this is due to the fact that the cohort is strong as well.

Conclusion: Expect the bell curve to be applied on most of the modules that you are taking, unless you are taking some module which has a uber low enrolment or some module which are for elites.
yoshi_fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 10:03 AM   #51

Lol thanks strawberrygirl, but thats during last sem. the appeal was successful just that cs1010 cost alot more points to bid due to the shortage of slots.

CS1010 can be taken up in both sem but i would recommend taking it in sem 2 bcoz for sem1 u will be taking it with the computing students and even though it being non bell curved but the graders will grade it accordingly to the cohort.

the min bid in the open bidding round will only go up so expect it to be higher in closed bidding round unless the supply is more than the demand then u can easily get it with 1 bid point.
Old 26-07-2012, 10:11 AM   #52

Lol thanks strawberrygirl, but thats during last sem. the appeal was successful just that cs1010 cost alot more points to bid due to the shortage of slots.

CS1010 can be taken up in both sem but i would recommend taking it in sem 2 bcoz for sem1 u will be taking it with the computing students and even though it being non bell curved but the graders will grade it accordingly to the cohort.

the min bid in the open bidding round will only go up so expect it to be higher in closed bidding round unless the supply is more than the demand then u can easily get it with 1 bid point.
oh, i see. thanks man! i was about to ask for advice if i should take cs1010 in which sem! and Congrats for your success in appealing! :-):-)
Old 26-07-2012, 10:13 AM   #53

It depends on the lecturer as well as the cohort as well. Sometimes the lecturer can choose not to apply the bell curve if the cohort is too small/strong

Case in point:

CS1101S (I took it in AY10/11 under Prof Ben Leong) - 75% of the cohort (which is ~60 people) got A- and above for this module. But this is also partly due to the fact that my batch is quite strong

MA3111S in AY10/11 (and many of the S-modules in Math) - The professor gave at least A- for everyone in the class of 11 people. But then again, this is due to the fact that the cohort is strong as well.

Conclusion: Expect the bell curve to be applied on most of the modules that you are taking, unless you are taking some module which has a uber low enrolment or some module which are for elites.
there's a s behind the modules cause you're in the special elite program right?
Old 26-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #54

Darkzion, So as soon as cors is open for bidding, one should quickly go in and bid or wait till the end of the day? since people can actually see your bid and outbid you. thanks for the url! wad about modules dropping? Wads all the w grade or f grade period about?
Old 26-07-2012, 10:37 AM   #55

Is laptop necessary for stats people? or we need a lot of computer work?
Old 26-07-2012, 11:02 AM   #56

there's a s behind the modules cause you're in the special elite program right?
Yea, having s behind the modules means it's more difficult and tougher. something like the elite program if i m not wrong. lol. never have a chance to be elite.

Darkzion, So as soon as cors is open for bidding, one should quickly go in and bid or wait till the end of the day? since people can actually see your bid and outbid you. thanks for the url! wad about modules dropping? Wads all the w grade or f grade period about?
Hmm the general strategy is to secure one slot first with just 1 bid point then monitor the status as it goes then things will get alot more nasty as open bidding closed. u can drop a module anytime during the bidding period, just have to take note that u will only be refunded half of what you spent. w and f grade period if i am not wrong depends on when u drop the modules when sch term starts. if u are not going to take the module, drop it early.

Is laptop necessary for stats people? or we need a lot of computer work?
laptop is somewhat necessary since there will be mathlab,sunfire and a few programs to use for computing and some math modules. it is not necessary if u prefer to spend your time in the com lab or library but it is good to have for extra practices maybe.
Old 26-07-2012, 11:20 AM   #57

Yea, having s behind the modules means it's more difficult and tougher. something like the elite program if i m not wrong. lol. never have a chance to be elite.

Hmm the general strategy is to secure one slot first with just 1 bid point then monitor the status as it goes then things will get alot more nasty as open bidding closed. u can drop a module anytime during the bidding period, just have to take note that u will only be refunded half of what you spent. w and f grade period if i am not wrong depends on when u drop the modules when sch term starts. if u are not going to take the module, drop it early.

laptop is somewhat necessary since there will be mathlab,sunfire and a few programs to use for computing and some math modules. it is not necessary if u prefer to spend your time in the com lab or library but it is good to have for extra practices maybe.
so lets say im allocated a module and i wanna drop it halfway through school term, so thats considered the w grade period is it? the f grade is more like after i have gotten a f for exams then i drop?
do you have any laptop brands to recommend? haha. btw, i dont have to declare my minor if im not doing it this sem is it? or when do i have to declare?
Old 26-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #58

Unhappy

how do you check it tutorials will clash with lecture or even other tutorials? there are so many tutorials available.
Old 26-07-2012, 11:52 AM   #59

so lets say im allocated a module and i wanna drop it halfway through school term, so thats considered the w grade period is it? the f grade is more like after i have gotten a f for exams then i drop?
do you have any laptop brands to recommend? haha. btw, i dont have to declare my minor if im not doing it this sem is it? or when do i have to declare?
hmm if you are stats major, you wont be allocated a module and for allocation of module, there's a preference exercise to choose the modules combination i think.

Withdrawn (W)
When a student withdraws from a module between the first day of Week 3 of the instructional period and the last day of the Recess Week, a W grade will be recorded in the transcript. Withdrawals after this period (i.e. from the first day of Week 7 of the instructional period) will result in an F grade, which will be included in the computation of the CAP and will not be eligible for the S/U option.

so basically if you have the intention of dropping, its better to drop early so it will only be counted as w and not towards your cap.

Lol. i am using Hp. If u are interested maybe Toshiba or Asus? It depends mainly on what type of computer user you are.

Hmm i think you have to take the prerequisite modules before you can delare the minor. Have to check this out again.
Old 26-07-2012, 11:55 AM   #60

how do you check it tutorials will clash with lecture or even other tutorials? there are so many tutorials available.
Ahh here comes the usefulness of timetable builder. you can download the timetable builder from its facebook group and you can try to build it yourself. it will shows the various lectures and whether will it clash. Besides it also shows the dates of exam and available tutorial slots. you dont have to worry so much about the tutorials since there will be a balloting session available for tutorial so you can only choose one. so it's best to choose the ideal slot that will not clash with others.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.