HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

NUS SoC Modules (and GEM/Breadth/ULR)

Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-12-2009, 09:42 PM   #331

Take breadth modules, ss modules lol
which breadth module easy?? got any recommendation?

btw,

3. Lifting of ABET- Humanity Requirement for CS students matriculating on AY2008-9 and after.
Currently, these CS students are required to take Breadth Modules and Unrestricted Electives from outside the Faculty of Science, Faculty of Engineering and School of Computing for their degree requirements. With this relaxation, students can now use Science, Engineering and Computing to meet their Unrestricted electives.

means what? don't have to take science modules now? lol
Old 29-12-2009, 10:01 PM   #332
Master Member

btw,

3. Lifting of ABET- Humanity Requirement for CS students matriculating on AY2008-9 and after.
Currently, these CS students are required to take Breadth Modules and Unrestricted Electives from outside the Faculty of Science, Faculty of Engineering and School of Computing for their degree requirements. With this relaxation, students can now use Science, Engineering and Computing to meet their Unrestricted electives.

means what? don't have to take science modules now? lol
It means CS students can now use other modules from FoS, FoE and SoC modules to fulfil UEM (previously, they cannnot take modules from FoS, FoE and SoC to fulfil UEM).

That is a good thing, because if they continue to have that ABET thing, and the students want to take additional CS modules to gain more computing knowledge, I don't know what they can used those CS modules to fulfil (they cannot use them to fulfil breadths, UEMs, etc., and are additional modules on top of the program requirements) with such restrictions...

Last edited by orionmiz; 29-12-2009 at 10:10 PM..
orionmiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 12:27 AM   #333
Greater Supremacy Member

if im taking CS1231 + EC1301 + CS2100 + CS2103 already

is it advisable/okay to take 2 GEK/SS (so total 6) or just take 1 GEK/SS (so total 5)

y im askin this is because i screwed up my 1st sem in nus, i had 6 modules actually including an english module. then i dropped physics cuz i felt it was too gay for me, so 6-1=5. then i did badly(D+) for a GEK which i have to use a SU on, which also means i practically wasted my time on that modulem so 5-1=4. last but not least, english is not counted towards ur total credits and cap, so (4-1=3) practically i took only 3 modules last semester.
mata_hippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 10:36 AM   #334
Arch-Supremacy Member

if im taking CS1231 + EC1301 + CS2100 + CS2103 already

is it advisable/okay to take 2 GEK/SS (so total 6) or just take 1 GEK/SS (so total 5)

y im askin this is because i screwed up my 1st sem in nus, i had 6 modules actually including an english module. then i dropped physics cuz i felt it was too gay for me, so 6-1=5. then i did badly(D+) for a GEK which i have to use a SU on, which also means i practically wasted my time on that modulem so 5-1=4. last but not least, english is not counted towards ur total credits and cap, so (4-1=3) practically i took only 3 modules last semester.
Think you should take 5 modules. No fun if u can't cope or u dislike mugging for 6 exams

The extra modules, u can always take it later (in normal sem or special sem) unless you are going to grad soon
Old 30-12-2009, 10:40 AM   #335
Arch-Supremacy Member

I recommended EC1301. Workload is really light, not need to do any projects or wat so ever. It is pretty much an exam/test based module (like the lower level maths modules)

Just that the curve for that module is skewed towards the right
Old 30-12-2009, 11:47 AM   #336
Master Member

why i cannot bid for modules today ar?

im year 1, sem 2. using the MPE already got 3 core modules allocated to me le.
MoneyHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 11:53 AM   #337
Arch-Supremacy Member

why i cannot bid for modules today ar?

im year 1, sem 2. using the MPE already got 3 core modules allocated to me le.
Did u complete the Major/Minor/Stream/Specialization Declaration?

Or is it u are selecting some modules where the bidding starts at round 2A?
Old 30-12-2009, 11:56 AM   #338

I recommended EC1301. Workload is really light, not need to do any projects or wat so ever. It is pretty much an exam/test based module (like the lower level maths modules)

Just that the curve for that module is skewed towards the right
i see can try. btw now means CS can take IS/EC modules also to meet UE requirements?? Where can I find the details??
Old 30-12-2009, 01:08 PM   #339
Master Member

Did u complete the Major/Minor/Stream/Specialization Declaration?

Or is it u are selecting some modules where the bidding starts at round 2A?
orh okok..

i declare liao..but still need to confirm again den can add new module.
MoneyHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2009, 09:22 AM   #340
Arch-Supremacy Member

i see can try. btw now means CS can take IS/EC modules also to meet UE requirements?? Where can I find the details??
With the new regulation (pt 3 of the letter i posted), you can indeed take IS/EC modules

BTW, if u really want to take one, do consider cs2250, the mother of all IS/EC modules. Beside its ability to unlock most of the EC/IS module, it is quite a free frag module
Old 31-12-2009, 04:43 PM   #341

With the new regulation (pt 3 of the letter i posted), you can indeed take IS/EC modules

BTW, if u really want to take one, do consider cs2250, the mother of all IS/EC modules. Beside its ability to unlock most of the EC/IS module, it is quite a free frag module
i see. thanks. may i ask for econs and accounting which one is easier to score? is there anyway to check the schedule for mid terms if not crash how??
Old 31-12-2009, 05:35 PM   #342
Arch-Supremacy Member

i see. thanks. may i ask for econs and accounting which one is easier to score? is there anyway to check the schedule for mid terms if not crash how??
Unless you got prior experience with either econs or accounting, i think that both are between easy and not easy to score. A lot of people from different courses are taking both module, so curve does not really favour anyone (unless you have solid prior knowledge of the subject)

Econs does have the slight attraction of not having a project (unless u are taking it in special sem where you have to write an essay about some recent event of economical interest in lieu of the mid term paper)

For accounting, u need to form a group of 4 and 5 to do a project. The accounting project involves reading a company annual financial report (different sem different company). Based on the report, your team have to answer about 10+ question (of different marks ranging as as little as 5 or as a lot as 25) and complied the answer into a report of not more than 16 pages. The question are usually from the concepts that comes from the lecture. That is about 20% of ur mark.
Old 31-12-2009, 05:38 PM   #343
Arch-Supremacy Member

As for the mid term paper time, you would not know about it until the lecturer posted an announcement on the ivle.
Old 31-12-2009, 06:14 PM   #344

ok thanks. i tink i shall choose econs because no project. btw, any idea when UE bidding start? cos it states ec1301 not available for bidding in current round?
Old 31-12-2009, 06:16 PM   #345

im taking ec1301 nx sem too
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.