Question for NUS SoC IS students, graduates or undergraduates

haroobom

Reaction score
Would like to ask if you guys recommend any laptops / tablet pc for a oncoming IS student?

Apparently after asking one of the seniors in IS, they said there are 2 modules namely IS2103 and IS3102 which requires(?) SSDs on laptop to work, else it would be very slow.

Right now im tight on budget so i was looking at the Asus T100TA tablet PC with these current specs:

Processor : Intel ATOM Z3775 Quad Core
RAM : DDR3L 2G
Storage Capacity : SSD SATA 32G (Tablet) + 500G HDD SATA
Display Size : 10.1"
Graphic Card : Intel Gen7 Graphics

Was wondering if this would be good enough for coursework, as form factor is pretty important as classes are so far apart.

The other choice would be getting a Asus with I5-4200U processor and upgrading the HDD to a SSD. but that would set me back around 800 dollars compared to the T100.

Any tips??

Darkzi0n

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Me no expert nor from soc... But I really think u sldnt get anything less than 4gb for ram

MoxLotus

Master Member
Reaction score
IS3102 bah ... IS2103 dun need such high end lah ...

Anyway, the laptop that u r looking at is too cui liao ... ATOM processor ... =___=

i recommend u get at least i7 with 8GB RAM... if ur budget constraint, then just wait till u r gonna take that mod then buy...

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Would like to ask if you guys recommend any laptops / tablet pc for a oncoming IS student?

Apparently after asking one of the seniors in IS, they said there are 2 modules namely IS2103 and IS3102 which requires(?) SSDs on laptop to work, else it would be very slow.

Right now im tight on budget so i was looking at the Asus T100TA tablet PC with these current specs:

Processor : Intel ATOM Z3775 Quad Core
RAM : DDR3L 2G
Storage Capacity : SSD SATA 32G (Tablet) + 500G HDD SATA
Display Size : 10.1"
Graphic Card : Intel Gen7 Graphics

Was wondering if this would be good enough for coursework, as form factor is pretty important as classes are so far apart.

The other choice would be getting a Asus with I5-4200U processor and upgrading the HDD to a SSD. but that would set me back around 800 dollars compared to the T100.

Any tips??

Apart from all the asking. I'm only "impressed" that students find the NUS campus too large for a decent laptop weight. :) These days really tofu are not limited to bean curds.

I don't think there will be any courses currently that will require SSD to be anywhere near the basic requirement. But I will agree that frequent starting up of a JVM and having to often load tons of Java classes in the process that be faster.

However it all boils down to the approach of software development.

I would agree with another poster in this thread that Atom is not the most suitable processor you would like to consider. Perhaps an i3/i5 would be more suitable. If you are constraint on budget, go and something simpler instead of a tablet.

mgx-alander

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
u dun need SSD for projects :s22:

just get a 64bit windows seven (**** windows 8) with 8gb ram and i5 processor

haroobom

Reaction score
alright, thanks guys, guess i'll stick to my current i5 with 4gb ram until it gives up.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.