HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

lets share hw our love affair wf Linux started

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-02-2005, 12:03 AM   #31

This might be off-topic, but I'm a newbie who's been drawn to Linux/Unix ever since I've heard of the term 2 years back (heck, I'm slow, and behind times, I know). Problem is, I'm one of those brought up immersed in the M$ culture, and never had the chance to try it out.

Now finally, I've decided to take the go ahead, and plunge in by installing FC3, then Xandros (couldn't get my hands on more free distributions thanks to my slow internet connection). Wanted to learn more, but haven't any idea where to start.

Anyone here can recommend a good book or site for beginners that guides you step by step through the world of Linux? I know there's alot of FAQs out there by googling, but it's all in bits and pieces.

Help appreciated.
arctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2005, 12:09 AM   #32
High Supremacy Member

Have you read the manual for RH9 and Fedora core? I started out only with that, and still only have that as knowledge for now still just for linux
liangtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2005, 08:15 AM   #33

just borrow this book from library, quite alot of juicy tips

linux timesaving techniques for dummies
005.4469 dou-[com]
covers fc2, suse, mandrakebbbbbb
lwkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2005, 08:58 AM   #34
Arch-Supremacy Member

I always think that Slackware is a good distro for those who have some linux experience. It's a distro that doens't do much for you, everthing(almost all) you have to get your hands dirty by playing with the configs. The installation is quick though. Only the configuration part is really a good learning process. There's no dependancies check or any package management, if you need a new package that Slack doesnt have, you do it the old way ie , hunt for libraries, dependencies and finally build them with configure/make/make install.

Try Slackware, one of the grand old daddy of linux:

www.slackware.com
Old 21-02-2005, 02:50 PM   #35

hmm, and what is the name of that company? care to share?
hm...this company gets bashed quite often...its name is techmonix...heard of it before? our servers keep crashing...lousy hardware...the maxtors died on me when i was overseas...
Old 21-02-2005, 03:00 PM   #36
Master Member

hm...this company gets bashed quite often...its name is techmonix...heard of it before? our servers keep crashing...lousy hardware...the maxtors died on me when i was overseas...
lol...so issit a problem with the company? or maxtor?
tazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2005, 05:22 PM   #37
jf

noope - never!!! but thanks for answering my question though. Good luck for ur job!
jf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2005, 06:01 PM   #38
Supremacy Member

can i up this thread for conversion to sticky?
nice to see so many responses!
Old 21-02-2005, 08:14 PM   #39

Don't you think there already are too many stickies on the OpenSource forum ? Half the thread listings are occupied by them stickies. Quite annoying.

Perhaps a FAQ would be a better idea for some of the sticky threads.
reeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2005, 10:07 PM   #40

lol...so issit a problem with the company? or maxtor?
maxtor problem...definitely...or so i like to think...
Old 22-02-2005, 06:12 AM   #41
Master Member

Don't you think there already are too many stickies on the OpenSource forum ? Half the thread listings are occupied by them stickies. Quite annoying.

maybe i've come to a point where i've given up. at one stage, i was up for consolidating the stickies, but seems like anyone who posts stupid question, still asks the stupid question. not as if reading the stickies would be of any help. if people find that it helps, then i will do it, but if the shallow question (with answers in the stickies) continue, then i dun see the point. then again, no one has an excuse to say that they can't find the answer, becos it would seem to me that a lot (read: a lot, not all) of people don't seem to know how to use the "find" functionality of this forum.

so, the question lies...is this the way the opensource community in this forum "helps"? well, i believe in helping, and many long time posters have already laid the ground work for them to be able to search the answer out. my question back would be, how do we progress if people keep asking the same questions?? search it out, and if you find a similar thread, ressuract the bl00dy thread and start the discussion going again. oh yes, and i hate the half-wits that ask questions with only 1 sentence in the entire post. classic.

sorry reeedn, this is not pointed at u
Old 22-02-2005, 05:56 PM   #42

sorry reeed, this is not pointed at u
yep I know
reeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2005, 06:28 PM   #43
jf

ditto what tazzie said. And come on lah, "half" is an exaggeration... That bad meh? You know what, at times, i've had half a mind to fill up the entire first page with the stickies, so that somebody could at least read something!!! But of course, as experience has shown (have u seen those "sticky" popular topics?), this will not work at all... It's something to do with the PEBKAC lah.

Over a decade of professional, battle-tested Linux consulting and services
jf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2005, 06:13 AM   #44
Master Member

heh... i was thinking somewhere long that line too. or maybe get HWZ to direct the user directly to the search page before allowing them to post a question...

PEBKAC huh?
Old 23-02-2005, 09:45 AM   #45

heh... i was thinking somewhere long that line too. or maybe get HWZ to direct the user directly to the search page before allowing them to post a question...

PEBKAC huh?

My usual solution for PEBKAC situation:
unrestricted use of LART on user

LART (Luser Atitude Readjustment Tool):
/ Luser Attitude Readjustment Tool. 1. n. In the
collective mythos of scary devil monastery, this is an essential
item in the toolkit of every BOFH. The LART classic is a 2x4 or
other large billet of wood usable as a club, to be applied upside
the head of spammers and other people who cause sysadmins more grief
than just naturally goes with the job. Perennial debates rage on
alt.sysadmin.recovery over what constitutes the truly effective
LART; knobkerries, semiautomatic weapons, flamethrowers, and
tactical nukes all have their partisans. Compare clue-by-four. 2.
v. To use a LART. Some would add "in malice", but some sysadmins do
prefer to gently lart their users as a first (and sometimes final)
warning. 3. interj. Calling for one's LART, much as a surgeon
might call "Scalpel!". 4. interj. [rare] Used in flames as a
rebuke. "LART! LART! LART!"
fortytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.