HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Which Linux for Noobs?

Like Tree91Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2009, 08:59 AM   #16
Master Member

I am also a noob and using getting to play with ubuntu by WUBI installation..
saysuzu likes this.
faruk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:35 PM   #17

ubuntu, its relatively user friendly and comes with essential programmes like firefox, openoffice, pidgin etc so u can start using immediately.. been using it for a over a year now, pretty satisfied with it since it breathes new life into my aging laptop. the ubuntu forums are also extremely friendly and helpful
saysuzu likes this.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:51 AM   #18

I love Mandriva. The Spring editions are usually more stable.
saysuzu likes this.

HWZ lifting Stats

iherb code - SIH278
galapogos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:35 PM   #19

I am interested in testing out Linux using my laptop (ASUS M5200 - 1.6GHZ 768MB ram).
I did a search on the internet on which is suitable for noobs like me and which has higher distribution (thinking will have better support) and free :p

I narrow down to Mandriva One 2009 KDE and PCLinuxOS.

As I said, I am very new to Linux and hope to be able to user friendly interface. Will be mainly used for surfing net, Open Office and GIMP etc.

I hope that advise can be given to me whether is the above mentioned two will be suitable for me and if not any other recommendations.

Thanx in advance

Edit: Seems that a lot of people are using UBUNTU and describing how easy it is to use. I may try this out first.
In fact any distro can be for noobs.
u may try Linux mint 7, it is by far instant usable, no tweaking require for most use.

When using linux, u need to learn 1 thing - 'command line'. this is one of the most difficult part for newbies, but that is linux, u will need it in 1 way or other.
saysuzu likes this.
pcteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:55 PM   #20
Master Member

ubuntu rocks!
saysuzu likes this.
farbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:17 PM   #21

ubuntu 9.04. you can't go very wrong.
saysuzu likes this.
aLpHa-Ev7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:00 PM   #22
Master Member

i was an active Ubuntu user.. very active one.. i thought Ubuntu was the best linux destro.. until I tried Linux Mint..

My choice, Linux Mint +1.. Everything out of the box.. No need to install additional codex to play mp4, dvd, real media.. etc.. No need to self install Flash or Java too.. Ubuntu users shld try out Mint too cos it's an addon to Ubuntu itself..
saysuzu likes this.
idiotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:31 PM   #23

That's right. And Mint's default GNOME desktop (theme) is NOT ugly, unlike Ubuntu's.

The problem people fail to mention is autoplay of VCDs and DVDs. The default programs do not suffice. You need to install something like SMPlayer and set it to be the default for those. Only DVD will autoplay, VCD will only start the app and one needs to open it from the menu.

The main reason for VCD playback being so ****ty is because development shifted to DVD from VHS in the States - VCD almost not introduced. Another reason is that those people who've never used VCDs think they're simpler than DVDs, so Linux should be able to deal with them "by simpler means". Unfortunately, that's not even close and these people are usually the ones behind bulk of the multimedia tools.
saysuzu likes this.
maxhurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 12:25 PM   #24

Hi everyone,

I'm a very new noob to Linux. Suddently got interested in Linux last week. Already downloaded Ubuntu, Kubuntu and also discovered Sabayon Linux. What are your take Sabayon Linux? I test the all of the 3 LiveCDs of different Linux and it looks like Sabayon is very nice with the main attraction apps compiz fusion already pre-installed.

I realise that installing apps in Linux aren't that breezy unless you know how to type the command lines. Is there any better way? Also can an app that can be installed in Ubuntu/Kubuntu be install in Sabayon or other version (Mint, Mandriva)?
saysuzu likes this.
boyanmetal_zc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 12:41 PM   #25

testing out is okay. but its not that suitable to use on the go because of power management issues(even after running powertop). go test the battery life using linux first. btw, try mint 7. its good.
saysuzu likes this.
Gecko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 10:33 PM   #26

For people new to the Linux world, Ubuntu wins, hands down. A lot of stuff work out of the box (ahem.. LiveCD) in Ubuntu. In addition, the community forums offer a lot of assistance. However, if you want to do some serious stuff, e.g. deep customization, run a server, I recommend you try Debian, which also has a greater repository. I have very briefly tried Fedora, but the simple downloading-and-installing you get from Ubuntu and Debian won me back. By the way, Ubuntu is an offshoot from Debian.
saysuzu likes this.
anivisual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2009, 12:31 AM   #27

Hi everyone,

I'm a very new noob to Linux. Suddently got interested in Linux last week. Already downloaded Ubuntu, Kubuntu and also discovered Sabayon Linux. What are your take Sabayon Linux? I test the all of the 3 LiveCDs of different Linux and it looks like Sabayon is very nice with the main attraction apps compiz fusion already pre-installed.

I realise that installing apps in Linux aren't that breezy unless you know how to type the command lines. Is there any better way? Also can an app that can be installed in Ubuntu/Kubuntu be install in Sabayon or other version (Mint, Mandriva)?
After awhile in Linux, you will realize apps installation is much easier in Linux than Windows. Other than using very simple command lines, you have the option of using GUI based Synaptic Package Manager in Ubuntu to install applications.

Other not so recommended ways include downloading applications with ".deb" extension for Ubuntu, this will work like Windows, just double click the file and install. For newbies, I would strongly advise against this.
saysuzu likes this.
wormster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2009, 01:05 AM   #28

My first Linux and still using is Ubuntu. It may not be the easiest distro and prettiest by default, but by far the easiest to find solutions to your problems as it is one of the most popular distro around. The community is exceptional friendly and fast as compare to other distros' forums.

If you want something out of the box, try PCLinuxOS and Linux Mint. They have everything configured for you and save you the trouble of installing, eg., adobe flash, sun java, and etc.
saysuzu likes this.
wormster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 02:19 PM   #29

i think ubuntu is still the best for beginners..
saysuzu likes this.
ongziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 05:09 PM   #30

personally, fedora for me.

i have fedora running on my Ltop as a dual boot with windows, also on my home server. One of the drawbacks i find with linux is the lack of decent software for building websites, hence the dual boot and dreamweaver. but... for administering my server, file server etc... i wouldn't have anything else.

i also set up fedora on a memory stick, can boot from it and the stick runs a cut down version, great little toy.
saysuzu likes this.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.