HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Which Linux for Noobs?

Like Tree91Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-11-2009, 09:17 PM   #31

Ubuntu

I consider myself a noob as well. I'd tried Ubuntu, Opensuse, and Mandriva.

I think Ubuntu is better in term of user-friendliness and hardware support.
saysuzu likes this.
fooifooi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 06:23 PM   #32

Hello, I'm also interested in the Linux scene but still very new to it. Would like to install a Linux OS onto a Pentium 3 computer (1GHz, 256Mb RAM) just for casual usage. Anyone care to recommend a suitable one?
saysuzu likes this.
2haven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2010, 12:31 PM   #33
Arch-Supremacy Member

frankly speaking, linux is not for noob. u got to have at least some knowledge or willingness to learn if you wish to use linux
saysuzu likes this.
Old 20-03-2010, 01:29 PM   #34
Arch-Supremacy Member

frankly speaking, linux is not for noob. u got to have at least some knowledge or willingness to learn if you wish to use linux
have u tried Ubuntu prior to the above statement? If No, then please give Ubuntu a try.
saysuzu likes this.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/el...r-4131460.html
PsyNidE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2010, 01:33 PM   #35

Ubuntu gives Linux a bad name, period.

I've never seen a more whacked-up, buggy version of Linux ever since Ubuntu Karmic koala.

user-friendliness is destroying the stability of Linux, and all you call can do is praise it on how simple it has gotten while forgetting about all the problems it has brought.

typical 'end-user' mentality.
saysuzu likes this.
Rock-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2010, 01:34 PM   #36
Arch-Supremacy Member

Ubuntu gives Linux a bad name, period.

I've never seen a more whacked-up, buggy version of Linux ever since Ubuntu Karmic koala.

user-friendliness is destroying the stability of Linux, and all you call can do is praise it on how simple it has gotten while forgetting about all the problems it has brought.

typical 'end-user' mentality.
why do u say its buggy? which version are you talking about?
saysuzu likes this.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/el...r-4131460.html
PsyNidE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2010, 02:39 PM   #37

Huh? Ubuntu is one of the easiest versions of linux to use. Never hung on me before either. Quite reliable.
saysuzu likes this.
polike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 12:43 AM   #38
High Honorary Member

there are 2 parts to which linux distro is for noobs
one is user friendliness in terms of package and interface
the other is stability which is a problem with ubuntu

ubuntu is the most user friendly linux distro to date
its so intuitive its not in anyway inferior to windows

HOWEVER.... its true this koala bear version is buggy
i had a lot of prob with my wifi and gfx with it

actually there are many diff distros u can consider
opensuse, fedora... many many and regardless of which one of them u are using
interface wise, gnome or kde really help a lot to make linux userfriendly
saysuzu likes this.
Old 21-03-2010, 01:12 AM   #39

Agreed Ubuntu by itself is not good. Linux Mint however takes Ubuntu, installs all the imortant drivers, programs and setting and makes it much easier to use.

New users should use Linux Mint. I learned through painful experience.
saysuzu likes this.
wodahsking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 10:38 AM   #40
Arch-Supremacy Member

have u tried Ubuntu prior to the above statement? If No, then please give Ubuntu a try.
yup, i've been using ubuntu. i didnt say it's difficult for me but im pretty sure it's nt as easy to pick up as compared to windows.
saysuzu likes this.
Old 22-03-2010, 11:45 AM   #41
Master Member

Of course it won't be easy to pick up as easy as windows.. even for a new first time Windows user will find slight difficulty...

I am trying to pick up some knowledge with Ubuntu... of course I don't have much time to learn more than that.. so I am taking my time..

but I find Ubuntu is stable with wireless though...

There could be always a learning curve.. whoever wants to learn more.. can slowly pick up.. one can pick upthe kowledge from here n there...
saysuzu likes this.
faruk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 08:45 PM   #42
Supremacy Member

everyone starts off as a noob. IMO, the most windows-friendly linux distro is Ubuntu or Kubuntu.
saysuzu likes this.
Old 22-03-2010, 08:48 PM   #43
Supremacy Member

and it's good to take a book to read on the linux OS structure.

for example what is super-user, where are programs installed at, where config files are stored at, etc. it makes learning more interesting and fun.

so after getting comfy with one distro you move on to other complex & stable distros and you'll start learning again (coz some distros store files differently, different commands, etc)
saysuzu likes this.
Old 23-03-2010, 12:44 PM   #44
Arch-Supremacy Member

Of course it won't be easy to pick up as easy as windows.. even for a new first time Windows user will find slight difficulty...

I am trying to pick up some knowledge with Ubuntu... of course I don't have much time to learn more than that.. so I am taking my time..

but I find Ubuntu is stable with wireless though...

There could be always a learning curve.. whoever wants to learn more.. can slowly pick up.. one can pick upthe kowledge from here n there...
everyone starts off as a noob. IMO, the most windows-friendly linux distro is Ubuntu or Kubuntu.
and it's good to take a book to read on the linux OS structure.

for example what is super-user, where are programs installed at, where config files are stored at, etc. it makes learning more interesting and fun.

so after getting comfy with one distro you move on to other complex & stable distros and you'll start learning again (coz some distros store files differently, different commands, etc)
i agree w all e above. as i mention earlier, if noob to computer(no computer knowledge at all) windows is still e most suitable.
saysuzu likes this.
Old 25-03-2010, 02:36 PM   #45

Rock-kun, I assume you're a techie, it is statements like "typical 'end-user' mentality" that makes the linux desktop and community so unapproachable to new users. The linux community has always been great, for a techie. To fan bigger adoptation of linux on the desktop, it is precisely this "typical 'end-user' mentality" that it has to satisfy, most users don't really care if the OS is secure or "stable" as long as they can type a document for their boss, edit their school projects, sent email, watch Youtube etc. and if they face problems, solutions can be easily googled and found on the forums without getting some in your face, offputting or holier than thou statements.
saysuzu likes this.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.