HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Which software can i use to clone a linux system?

Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-08-2012, 08:37 AM   #1
High Supremacy Member

Which software can i use to clone a linux system?

I read tat acronis wouldnt be able to clone it as it cant recognise whether a linux parition is bootable anot, is there any other software tt works with linux? Thanks!
TiOnGSquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 09:13 AM   #2

I use clonezilla. Opensource (free). But lack gui interface, so might be difficult for some to use.

You can google clonezilla to get it.
zeroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 02:05 PM   #3
Master Member

I read tat acronis wouldnt be able to clone it as it cant recognise whether a linux parition is bootable anot, is there any other software tt works with linux? Thanks!
On linux, depending on how you structure your filesystem, it can be an easy task or more involving one.

For starter, dd would suffix for cloning. You probably need parted or fdisk if you would like to adjust the partition. If you are using logical volume manager(LVM) expansion would be an easy task. If you have chosen a filesystem that can expand online such as EXT3 and above, reiserfs, jfs, ifs, you can potentially have large filesystem without downtime.

All these normally requires no external tools except what is found already available in linux installation or their respective repositories.
davidktw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #4
High Supremacy Member

If you need a GUI, then redo backup & recovery. Not too bad. Feels a lot like Clonezilla but just more eye candy.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:14 PM   #5

I use clonezilla. Opensource (free). But lack gui interface, so might be difficult for some to use.

You can google clonezilla to get it.
I also use this opensource software.It works really good.You should use this software.
narnia651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.