Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Precise Pangolin released

Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2012, 10:30 PM   #1
Arch-Supremacy Member

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Precise Pangolin released

Well, as history repeats itself, Ubuntu *.04 turns out to be the more polished than their *.10 releases.

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Precise Pangolin proven to be a release with less of the rough edges we had with 11.10. Finally a version of Ubuntu that is more friendly & worth upgrading to.

You can get Ubuntu 12.04 from here.

Download | Ubuntu

Few notes:

1. Auto user login no longer crash the desktop.
2. Flash hardware acceleration show video with red~purple tint. Can be fix by disabling 'hardware acceleration'. Should be fixed with update of flash plugins.
3. As usual, all those who dreaded unity, will do "sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback" & select Gnome classic desktop from login.
4. Those who dreaded the close,minimise & maximise button on the left, can install gconf-editor to change it to the right.

So far, nothing is broken till one cannot fix by users, to be continue...

Last edited by coyote; 01-05-2012 at 10:58 PM..
coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:48 AM   #2
Supremacy Member

Using Lubuntu 12.04 on my ancient IBM R50
Old 03-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #3

Using for my proxy server.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:03 AM   #4

2. Flash hardware acceleration show video with red~purple tint. Can be fix by disabling 'hardware acceleration'. Should be fixed with update of flash plugins.
There will be no such update; Adobe has officially ceased all development of Flash for Linux. Flash 11.2 is the last version of Flash that Adobe will release for download. This has already been put into action; Adobe Labs only hosts Windows and OS X binaries of Flash 11.3; Linux binaries are no longer present.

Flash 11.2 will only receive periodic security updates; bugfixes will not be done.

With the launch of Flash 11.2, Google is now the only provider of Flash for Linux, and it is delivered via their Chrome browser and its PPAPI plugin API, which is not compatible with any other browser that uses the NPAPI API.

Last edited by Rock-kun; 04-05-2012 at 01:06 AM..
Rock-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:46 AM   #5
Arch-Supremacy Member

For a moment, I thought this is a pretty sad situation... alternative may be to switch off hardware acceleration, switch to an older version of Flash or some suggest switch to HTML5(which I had no idea what that means) but may not work for all video...

On second thought, the idea of hardware acceleration is really of little consequences by nowaday's hardware prowess. My humble i3 2100 can play Full HD movies with or without hardware acceleration. So, hardware acceleration differs by having lower cpu utilization which translating to a noticeable but negligible savings in power consumption. Noticeable as in if the cpu is at 1.6GHz with gpu hardware acceleration turned on, power usage is in the 50+Watts range, while without gpu hardware acceleration, cpu speed will scale up to 3.2GHz & power usage in the range of > 70Watts. It's noticeable. But our aircon, electric kettles & fridge consume thousands of watts... so the diff is really inconsequential.

May be the answer is really html5, presumably it means hardware acceleration supported by default without flash plugins?

There will be no such update; Adobe has officially ceased all development of Flash for Linux. Flash 11.2 is the last version of Flash that Adobe will release for download. This has already been put into action; Adobe Labs only hosts Windows and OS X binaries of Flash 11.3; Linux binaries are no longer present.

Flash 11.2 will only receive periodic security updates; bugfixes will not be done.

With the launch of Flash 11.2, Google is now the only provider of Flash for Linux, and it is delivered via their Chrome browser and its PPAPI plugin API, which is not compatible with any other browser that uses the NPAPI API.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:34 PM   #6
tk
Supremacy Member

hmm... i'm on ubuntu 11.04... shd i move to 12.04?

To upgrade to 12.04, shd i..

a) click on the upgrade to 11.10.. then upgrade from 11.10 to 12.04
or
b) backup data and do a fresh installation of 12.04
tk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #7
Arch-Supremacy Member

Another LTS. Interesting.
zuoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #8
Arch-Supremacy Member

You should do a fresh install.

Normally, i have / on a small 8 to 14g partition, 2g swap & rest of hdd as /home.

During reinstall, specify all same including user name, except don't format /home.

That way user data is always preserved in /home. New os & kernel in in include / & got upgraded.
hmm... i'm on ubuntu 11.04... shd i move to 12.04?

To upgrade to 12.04, shd i..

a) click on the upgrade to 11.10.. then upgrade from 11.10 to 12.04
or
b) backup data and do a fresh installation of 12.04
coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:31 AM   #9
Arch-Supremacy Member

i upgraded from ubuntu 10.04 LTS to 12.04 LTS... hated unity... installed the gnome3 interface... hated it too... in the end i settle for xubuntu 12.04 with xfce interface... will use this until perhaps mint 13 comes out....

and yeah... noticed the blue tint problem with flash on my xubuntu too... had to disable hardware acceleration...

regards,
wacky
Old 24-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #10
tk
Supremacy Member

3. As usual, all those who dreaded unity, will do "sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback" & select Gnome classic desktop from login.
me installed ubuntu 12.04 and changed to gnome.. but while my gnome version shows 3.4.1.. how come it have the Activities button like the gnome 3.4 shown in other websites?
tk is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.