Learn Korean?

mazdaRX

Master Member
Reaction score
anyone taking basic 1 at NUS Extension ? i signed up for the upcoming next wk.

ZacChee

Reaction score
Another new Korean Language Centre has opened in Aug at Far East Shopping Centre, Orchard Road.
ezSAM Korean Language Centre

Its course fees are $380 for 10 lessons and it offers trial lessons.
Has anyone signed for lessons with this centre and has any reviews abt it?

Found 1 review on the Korean centers in S'pore:
Review of Korean Language Institutions in Singapore « So You Want 2 Learn – Korean!

Anyone went there for the lesson yet? i am planning to start learning during December if theres still slot available.

please advise me!!

trenix99

Reaction score
hihi, need some advice from those who have taken the NUS extension placement tests.

I'm taking at a CC right now, my teacher is v good, but the speed is slow as she has to accommodate other students. I'm hoping to take extra classes a week to increase immersion and speed up my understanding. thinking to get into Nus extension Basic IV or V.

Do I just sign up and pay, and wait for them to call me to take a placement test? Or will they just let me in without testing my level? Or can i call them up and ask to take a placement test, then they advise me which level to go for?

gibson7

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
later if you paid and found out you can take different level how?

so, your second option would be the best. and can't you just call them up the day you posted here? you might have got the answer direct from them already, if you did so.

soldiergirl

Reaction score
Another new Korean Language Centre has opened in Aug at Far East Shopping Centre, Orchard Road.

Hello! This is my first post here!

I really want to learn Korean! Thanks for the info!

My friend said she learnt from the teacher on the ezSAM website a few years ago at SP and the teacher taught in English, so my friend learnt very slow. She recommended Hanok in Jurong since we stay in CCK area. Saw the reviews at the Yago link.
Anyone studied at Hanok before?

trenix99

Reaction score
problem is, i called 2 times before, first answer v strange, so call again, and got different answer the 2nd time...that's why wanted to see if anyone has actually done it before and advise. guess i have to visit them personally.

swordsly

Master Member
Reaction score

Hello! This is my first post here!

I really want to learn Korean! Thanks for the info!

My friend said she learnt from the teacher on the ezSAM website a few years ago at SP and the teacher taught in English, so my friend learnt very slow. She recommended Hanok in Jurong since we stay in CCK area. Saw the reviews at the Yago link.
Anyone studied at Hanok before?

What level did she learn?
If it's beginning levels, don't teach you in English you can understand meh? :s22:
What's the name of your friend's lecturer?

gibson7

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
problem is, i called 2 times before, first answer v strange, so call again, and got different answer the 2nd time...that's why wanted to see if anyone has actually done it before and advise. guess i have to visit them personally.

either way, don't sign up for the course first (or pay) first.

mamoo82

Reaction score

you can email them. they respond within one working day. previously, i emailed them about my situation and they told me to come down for the placement test. The placement test consists of a written and oral examination. They will ask you which level do you plan to take and give you a suitable internal test paper to do. (btw, if you find the internal test paper is too difficult, you can request for a lower level.) After which, they will pass it to the korean teacher to mark, and he/she will contact you for the oral test before advising which level to take.

after that, then you register online for the course and one week before the commencement, the admin will send you an email to confirm the course. if the course is confirmed, you then make payment. otherwise, you have to wait for the next intake. i can't tell you what is the mode of payment as my previous course intake was cancelled. however, my friend told me that, it's only when they have receive your payment, then you are considered registered for the course.

Last edited:

soldiergirl

Reaction score
What level did she learn?
If it's beginning levels, don't teach you in English you can understand meh? :s22:
What's the name of your friend's lecturer?

I think level 1, she can't remember the name But she saw the teacher's picture. My friend said that the teacher emphasized on grammar But not much practice in class. The later teacher was better, cos she used more Korean in class and forced the students to speak. Even though she's Singaporean! Got masters in Korean language or something.

plutoplace

Reaction score
Yes speaking is important but most students fear speaking practice/task including Me. Unfortunately, even so, the few hours practiced in class is not going to help in your speaking a lot. The only way to achieve a good level of korean communication skill is to stay in korea. Most of my friends who speak good koreans are those who had spent half to one year in korea universities and those who went as far to get a internship/job in korea.

GenerationX

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hihi, need some advice from those who have taken the NUS extension placement tests.

I'm taking at a CC right now, my teacher is v good, but the speed is slow as she has to accommodate other students. I'm hoping to take extra classes a week to increase immersion and speed up my understanding. thinking to get into Nus extension Basic IV or V.

Do I just sign up and pay, and wait for them to call me to take a placement test? Or will they just let me in without testing my level? Or can i call them up and ask to take a placement test, then they advise me which level to go for?

may i ask which cc u go?

trenix99

Reaction score
you can email them. they respond within one working day. previously, i emailed them about my situation and they told me to come down for the placement test. The placement test consists of a written and oral examination. They will ask you which level do you plan to take and give you a suitable internal test paper to do. (btw, if you find the internal test paper is too difficult, you can request for a lower level.) After which, they will pass it to the korean teacher to mark, and he/she will contact you for the oral test before advising which level to take.

after that, then you register online for the course and one week before the commencement, the admin will send you an email to confirm the course. if the course is confirmed, you then make payment. otherwise, you have to wait for the next intake. i can't tell you what is the mode of payment as my previous course intake was cancelled. however, my friend told me that, it's only when they have receive your payment, then you are considered registered for the course.

hi mamoo82, thanks for the advice earlier...i finally sorted it out with them. just registered for Basic V ... 너무 감사합니다!! :D

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.