learning japanese

PingJun

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I agree that JLPT 3 is easy. However, I find that my foundation is quite weak. I guess this explains why I still cannot understand what the Jap characters say in Jap lang. Plus I seldom watch Jap drama, anime & listen to Jap songs.

At most I spend 2 - 3 hrs on watching anime / Jap movies per week. I do, however watch "Japan Hour".

One of my wish / goal is to be able to watch "Japan Hour", Jap anime / movies & fully understand what it is all about without using another language. I also want to be able to read Jap books / comics without any difficulties. In fact, I have bought "One Piece" in Jap lang & have plan to buy "Detective Conan" in jap lang as well.... :D :D

Reaction score
The way you put it, seems like your purpose for learning Japanese is to pass JLPT only.
Maybe you can try watching more Jdramas and listening to more Jsongs. Having a dictionary handy helps a lot.

haha no la, i believe that there must always be emphasis on speaking and listening. what's the point if one cant hold a conversation. but with a short time frame as in the case of jlpt, might as well put effort in the grammar part for eg, then on to listening, hopefully before jlpt starts. i think if one paid to take a exam, den dun fail it. cuz really quite a waste then. its just a shuffling of time spent on written part and listening part.

Last edited:

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think that it's best not to think so much about exams and just enjoy the learning process. JLPT3 is pretty much useless anyway. The fun part comes when you're able to watch shows without subs or read novels (if you like reading)!

For me, I just love the sound of the language and to be able to 'hear' dialogue in novels is a very rich experience for me. I also love picking out cultural differences you find when you dissect the language; I suppose other people would have different interests.

I'm not saying that one shouldn't bother with JLPT though; the only reason why I'm able to read novels properly now is because I studied JLPT2 grammar, but passing JLPT shouldn't be the main focus (unless of course collecting certificates is your hobby in which case I have no case to argue against!) =)

EDIT: I might add that JLPT3 is actually very easy to score if you keep in touch with the language through anime etc. I don't think practice papers are the way to go.

Haha.. agreed

Ah_keong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think that it's best not to think so much about exams and just enjoy the learning process. JLPT3 is pretty much useless anyway. The fun part comes when you're able to watch shows without subs or read novels (if you like reading)!

For me, I just love the sound of the language and to be able to 'hear' dialogue in novels is a very rich experience for me. I also love picking out cultural differences you find when you dissect the language; I suppose other people would have different interests.

I'm not saying that one shouldn't bother with JLPT though; the only reason why I'm able to read novels properly now is because I studied JLPT2 grammar, but passing JLPT shouldn't be the main focus (unless of course collecting certificates is your hobby in which case I have no case to argue against!) =)

EDIT: I might add that JLPT3 is actually very easy to score if you keep in touch with the language through anime etc. I don't think practice papers are the way to go.

agree X 10000 :D

ahmahippo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
correct me if i am wrong....

Romaji = those jap english eg: takushi (taxi)
Katakana/Hiragana = ひらがな カタカナ..... (to me, they look alike... having hard time knowning which is which.)
Kanji = (those chinese words)

wonder did I say wrongly for these?

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
correct.

Katakana : 片仮名(カタカナ)         タクシー

Hiragana: 平仮名(ひらがな)      りんご

Kanji: 就職

Ah_keong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
correct me if i am wrong....

Romaji = those jap english eg: takushi (taxi)
Katakana/Hiragana = ひらがな カタカナ..... (to me, they look alike... having hard time knowning which is which.)
Kanji = (those chinese words)

wonder did I say wrongly for these?

yup!!!
but the chinese words are a bit different...

Ah_keong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Did you receive the test venue in the mail already? I'm taking jlpt4 for the first time this year.

JLPT 2 and 1 i heard from my friend held in SMU??

JLPT 4 and 3 think at the changi primary school...

the table and chair very cute sia... :D

Reaction score
Ahhhhh so far!! Does anyone know the buses to there?

Haha oh no we are in for a hard time getting comfortable. Though I stopped growing when I was in primary sch. haha.

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Take bus no 2 from outside Bedok or Kembangan MRT. Don't take from Tenah Merah. Will have too many ppl.

Elfenx

Reaction score
Is JLPT 3 paper a big leap from JLPT4?
Last year, because I wasnt aware there are revision books or past year papers available, I only revised what my sensei taught, and assumed that's what everyone's doing. But this year I trawl the net and found so much more information - past yrs papers, books, worksheets. So I was wondering if should get some assessment bks or just do it.

Adventia

Reaction score
I received the letter...
JLPT 3 is at Nanyang Girl's High School
Lucky dont need to use small table and chairs...^^

Reaction score
What? My friend is taking JLPT 3 too...And she was from nanyang girls too! Lol must tell her....

Elfen>>JLPT 2 would be the big leap, JLPT 3 and 4 not much difference...But better to practise since there are so many free resources lying about...

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.