HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

learning japanese

Like Tree250Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-03-2006, 04:55 PM   #61

i studied at SP in 98 and learnt my basic japanese there thruout my diploma. it was free cos at tt time, dept of IT was called JSIST and had relations with japan(now dont know wat happen), so i could take it as my elective. all our sensei were japanese. i had 3 different senseis, 1 for each time. the basic part was the hardest as she couldnt speak much english and we pretty much had to guess what was been taught haha. however we were only taught the basic stuff and even in the exams the answers could pretty much be copied back from the questions. this is from '98-2000 so i dont know what it would be like now though
gundamhamtaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2006, 05:05 PM   #62

ah.. thx for the info gundamhamtaro.. haha..

my teacher doesn't speak much english either, but it was really good learning from her.

shogun > yeah, its coz ikoma fees are sooo high.. ><||
i'm thinking of trying out SP's while at the same time still learning at ikoma and see how it compares.

Don't know how much it costs, but im guessing we have to pay now.
the teacher is Mrs Foong Yukiko. Sounds like a chinese woman who just gave herself a japanese name?
or am i wrong?

well.. will check out more details when i start school in SP.. ^^;;
JoySakurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2006, 08:57 AM   #63

maybe she's 1/2 japanese, hence the strange name.............i remember there're some ang mohs out there with mixec names too
Old 19-03-2006, 10:02 PM   #64

ah.. thx for the info gundamhamtaro.. haha..

my teacher doesn't speak much english either, but it was really good learning from her.

shogun > yeah, its coz ikoma fees are sooo high.. ><||
i'm thinking of trying out SP's while at the same time still learning at ikoma and see how it compares.

Don't know how much it costs, but im guessing we have to pay now.
the teacher is Mrs Foong Yukiko. Sounds like a chinese woman who just gave herself a japanese name?
or am i wrong?

well.. will check out more details when i start school in SP.. ^^;;
might have been a japanese who married a chinese ?
ender51244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2006, 10:29 PM   #65

yeah, could be i guess..

neway, just found out i prolly can't take those classes they offer at SP.
at the end of year 3 then they take JLPT4.. O.O|||||||

but can try out the JLPT3 prep classes [30hours].. the normal 60hours classes cannot coz too basic.. =\
Old 20-03-2006, 10:47 AM   #66

yeah, could be i guess..

neway, just found out i prolly can't take those classes they offer at SP.
at the end of year 3 then they take JLPT4.. O.O|||||||

but can try out the JLPT3 prep classes [30hours].. the normal 60hours classes cannot coz too basic.. =\
Huh? End of yr 3 then take jlpt 4??? wat kinda rule is this....i think u might have mistaken. Most poly/unis allow their students to take watever levels they wan since jlpt is registered individually. But i do heard that classes in institutions tend to be a bit slower, although the vocab might have been heavier.

When i first started out in Hougang Japanese School, the lessons concentrate more on the sentence structure and grammar. Vocab was rather left on our own. In fact, i can still remember learning the は particle on the first lesson....
ShougunX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2006, 11:36 AM   #67

tts wat happen to me too...........well actually me and my friends decided to take jlpt by ourselves, so we ask help from sensei thats all. other than that at end of 3 years i dont think pple will even know got this thing called jlpt lor.....i didnt know also until my friends tell me got.
Old 20-03-2006, 12:23 PM   #68

This course is offered to final year students who have completed the Japanese Language Year 2 course. You will study new verbal forms, sentence patterns and advanced conversations.

Upon completion of the course, you can attempt the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) Level 4 offered by Japan Foundation and Association of International Education, Japan. It is the only Japanese Language certificate recognized throughout the world. JLPT examination is usually held in early December.

An Intensive JLPT Preparatory Course will be held by the Department of Language and Communication just before the test. This 10-day refresher course, which is separate from the Japanese Year 3 course, is a good opportunity to further improve your Japanese.
I guess its cause they learn at a much much slower pace, and its only 60hours/year. So by the end of year 3 they prolly only mastered the basic foundation, only enough to take the JLPT4.
=(
Old 20-03-2006, 02:58 PM   #69

yeah... that's poly japanese studies. my sp friend also got until JLPT 4 after she completed her 3 years japanese studies in school.

actually depending on your own standard, u can take whatever level you feel comfortable. for me, 2 years of studies at JCS is actually only enough for level 4, but for me, i took preparation classes and a bit of japanese shows. so i managed to pass my jlpt 3.
Old 20-03-2006, 05:06 PM   #70

Gulp.....3 yrs to attain jlpt level 4? That is like taking 10 yrs to complete ur secondary sch preparation for 'O'-levels......i think after 6 months of continuous study twice a wk is more than enough to tackle level 4..
Old 20-03-2006, 05:47 PM   #71

coz they only have 60hours per year of lessons i guess?

neway, yeah, 6months shd be enough to complete jlpt4[depending on how frequent your classes are and how many hours of lessons too i guess], for my schoo, 1year is enough to complete jlpt3.

wonder hows it gonna be thou.. hmmm..
Old 21-03-2006, 09:18 AM   #72

Gulp.....3 yrs to attain jlpt level 4? That is like taking 10 yrs to complete ur secondary sch preparation for 'O'-levels......i think after 6 months of continuous study twice a wk is more than enough to tackle level 4..
Er.... i dun think 6 months is enough. even intensive learning, you need about 9 months (for marks above 300, considering you start right from the scratch) that's for studying in singapore. but of course, if you study in Japan, it takes only 1 year to complete your JLPT 1. because... you are in the environment and you are forced to speak.
Old 21-03-2006, 10:08 AM   #73

hmm...is it?.....but level 4 realli quite basic le....i onli scored 297 for my level 4. but i took it after 3 months of studying twice a wk 2 hrs each lesson....
Old 21-03-2006, 10:55 PM   #74

Wink

I am currently undergoing Basic Japanese Level 2 at Ikoma at Shaw House.
Being taught by native Japanese teacher.
You can try there.
crazy777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2006, 12:16 AM   #75

crazyyyyy, whose your teacher?

kotake? nishio? taniguchi? yamane?

what class are you from btw?

^^
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.