Need help in "A" level

sophialao03

Reaction score
My son just finished "N" levels and I wanted to find out if he can jumpstart to "A" levels. Need advice...

MoxLotus

Master Member
Reaction score
My son just finished "N" levels and I wanted to find out if he can jumpstart to "A" levels. Need advice...

There is quite a huge gap between N lvl and A lvl. Given that your son was not qualified for O lvl in the first, it might be tough for him to jump straight into A lvl.

sophialao03

Reaction score
HI, yeah I had a discussion with another parent and Yes, there is a small possibility that my son can go to A level, however she mentioned Insworld Institute.
They said my son can take IGCSE instead for 18 months or less. Any idea about IGCSE?? or Insworld Institute??? Thanks

teresa90

Reaction score
HI, yeah I had a discussion with another parent and Yes, there is a small possibility that my son can go to A level, however she mentioned Insworld Institute.
They said my son can take IGCSE instead for 18 months or less. Any idea about IGCSE?? or Insworld Institute??? Thanks

IGCSE is basically the equivalent of O Levels, if you're looking at something equivalent to the Singapore A levels, you'd have to take something called the CIE. It's slightly easier than the Singapore A levels, and it gives you a bit more flexibility in subject choices because there are more options you can choose from. The problem with international exams like the IGCSE/CIE though is that schools that offer these are typically not as good as the government ones. You'd also need a lot of self-discipline when it comes to your study habits so that's definitely something that should be taken into consideration as well.

benmeimei

Reaction score
A Levels is a very tedious syllabus that (not many but there are) O levels have difficulty coping with the fast paced environment. Things you study in O levels will be very useful for A levels, and since O levels is a build up from N Levels, it is not advisable to jumpstart to As -- in addition, if he didn't do well for As, may end up in private uni / poly instead. (just my 2cents worth)

GPHistoryBusters

Reaction score
Hi,

The jump from N levels to A levels is huge. Would recommend that you aim for the O levels first before transiting to A levels.

GPHistoryBusters

Reaction score

Uncle/Auntie whoever you are. I am going to hazard a guess your son is not the study material kind given that he is in the normal acad/ normal tech/ or what they call it nowadays stream that requires the N-levels.

If your son already has such a lousy time studying, why are you even asking about the A-levels? With the skills future thingy and the WSQ. Heck even the ITEs may have some courses that interest your son.

Why not ask HIM what he PLANS to do, then use your experience to guide him. Unless he is a genius stuck in a system that does not allow for grade jumping, trying to plan on his behalf to jump so many hoops is a recipe for disaster.

To summerize, I am not your son and you're asking the wrong question. Find out what he likes and your (i think) attempt at planning for him might face less resistance.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.