Anyone has a maid at home?

ironycandy84

Reaction score
Is ur maid v young?

I recently hired one to take care of baby.

She’s a transf maid, transferred twice within a short period. Was skeptical initially but decided to try

Indon and speak zero English. I have to speak Bahasa to her

Pros:
- willing to take care of baby at night
- cooks well
- obedient, not rude and generally smiley
- easy going. Don’t demand to eat good food or need to have handphone etc

Cons:
- stupid (not trying to be mean but even she herself keep saying and know she is)
- slow (learn things slow, do things also slow)
- can be stubborn at times

There are a few times I’m pissed and almost wanted to send her back. But I’m thinking good maids hard to find also.. sighs

For me, I’m easy going and not fierce at all. Lol. I don’t like to scold people, so usually my mom do the scolding.

I treat her w respect and always Ensure that her basic needs are met. I frequently buy her things (food or essentials like tooth brush, clothes, undergarments etc).

She is appreciative and said she’s very happy working w me. Prob also cos her ex employers treated her quite badly and both transf her within a few months.

Last edited:

delceer

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is ur maid v young?

I recently hired one to take care of baby.

She’s a transf maid, transferred twice within a short period. Was skeptical initially but decided to try

Indon and speak zero English. I have to speak Bahasa to her

Pros:
- willing to take care of baby at night
- cooks well
- obedient, not rude and generally smiley
- easy going. Don’t demand to eat good food or need to have handphone etc

Cons:
- stupid (not trying to be mean but even she herself keep saying and know she is)
- slow (learn things slow, do things also slow)
- can be stubborn at times

There are a few times I’m pissed and almost wanted to send her back. But I’m thinking good maids hard to find also.. sighs

For me, I’m easy going and not fierce at all. Lol. I don’t like to scold people, so usually my mom do the scolding.

I treat her w respect and always Ensure that her basic needs are met. I frequently buy her things (food or essentials like tooth brush, clothes, undergarments etc).

She is appreciative and said she’s very happy working w me. Prob also cos her ex employers treated her quite badly and both transf her within a few months.

If she is very clever and score well in exam, do you think she will work as maid for you ? :s13:

gizmo666

Reaction score
For those who think that life as a maid is easy to take care of a baby, you try this yourself for 3 days.

Do continuous housework at home from the moment you wake up, baby cry, you stop and take care of baby, baby awake, you can't do much work, then need to cook for family and take care of baby. So tired liao, at night still need to look after baby and wake up now and then...

Walk in their shoe and you will appreciate how hard it is...

Sharonyap2505

Reaction score
I recently hired maid 2 months ago to take care of my baby after I go back to work. Baby now is 4 months old.

No big complaints so far only she has her way of take care of baby. Always want to carry my baby and say she very scared the baby cry so she neglects almost all her other duty just to sit and watch the baby.

When I hired her, I did not expect her to do housework because I know taking care of baby is very tiring.

Only one thing is you must be strict from the beginning. There was one time she didn't wash milk bottle at night, I woke her up from her sleep and told her off. Another time she forgot to throw diaper away and I also told her off.

Chae Yeon

Reaction score
Same mindset with my relative case. No off days(due to nature of my aunt and uncle's career) and no hp to restrict them from getting in contact with outside bad influences. So far so good. Must be new maids though. Previous one contract was up hence just changed a new one. Close to zero English as well and had to speak bahasa too. A bit cruel imo to limit no hp no off days but at least they give her to call home using house phone.

Just for sharing since my family changed maids quite often:

maid X - gave wifi password. Has 4-5 hps because we restrict her hp usage to lunch and dinner only. Keep buying new phones to hide from us and use during the day. End up keep talking on the phone during chores.

maid Y - gave phone + wifi pw. Addicted to phone. Keep video-calling her family after we gave her the wifi password. Constantly glued to the phone and seldom take initiative to do chores. Mom also caught her trying out our clothes and taking selfies with them...

maid Z - no free phone no free wifi password. Best result - maid using the phone now and then and only using when she can (during her free time).

Albertphoon

Reaction score
How do U treat your maid? Fierce? Friendly? Firm and strict?
Do you draw a line between employer and maid?

I had a maid in years back to look after my 1st child.
First one from Indo , 27 years old. Sleep at 7.30 pm when I just return home for dinner. The plate left in the basin, rubbish not throw. clothing not in the washer, our baby left to me and wife to care at nite.
5.30am woke up, make breakfast for us. Simple , only bread and milo.
Baby sleeping when we left home to work. Lucky my old mother is around.
So , return to agency after 3 weeks.
2nd One, came , Scarce me, also from indo, sit like trishaw man, lift up clothing to put powder without closing the room door. She told me , dun like to look after child prefer cleaning the hse.
So , we have to change again.
Then MOM call, and we required to go for talk.
Then, the good new. We saw a 19 years old indo maid at the agency who request to go home because she cannot tahan her employer for leting her eat only leftover meal. And most of the time nothing to eat. She look thin.
She was crying. So out of pity. We took her home to try out.
She was very afraid. But we allow her to sit with us during meal time. Go market , shopping together.
The bonding start, we like her and she like us and our baby.
5 years with us. Then One day, her mother call and wanted her to return to get marry.
Now , sometime she still send us card. We miss her.
so,so , who is good who is bad. everyone have a story ...

m@maboi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do you all give your helper handphone?

I gave her one just in case i need to reach her when she is at home alone. also, in case of emergency, she can reach me easily. But i did not give her my wifi password.

m@maboi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I treat her in a friendly manner but of coz there is a boundary. I let her know my expectations on her first day of work and she has been following it since.

second that. ultimately, we are living under one roof and my newborn spend more time with her when us. of course, when it is time to be stern, i will... of course, thereafter give a bit of sweetener...

take her like managing your subordinate at work, it will go well... give and take... they are a human being afterall

Karinet

Reaction score
Employers-Maid relationship

Hi all,

I feel that the interaction between maids and employers can go in both ways. I have maids that I can really get along with but there are some which are a pain in the neck. I once experienced a maid that I couldn't communicate well with hence, we had to attend counseling courses but it was many years back. Recently, I came across a portal that contains maid agencies with counseling services and I think it will be a good platform for employers to look out for. The website is www.searchmaid.com.sg. I hope this will help employers and maids that are in a bad relation/communication problem because that is the last thing that anyone would want.

evets

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How do U treat your maid? Fierce? Friendly? Firm and strict?
Do you draw a line between employer and maid?

firm and normal.

don't need to be extra nice for a starter but no abusive behavior too.

but maid being maid, they really don't know how to think...always looking for the short cut.

maids nowadays is unlikely my grandparents/ parents generation where one can stay in the family for 10 - 20 years. now if they fulfil just 1 year..already a good bonus. lol

evets

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What is one of the few agency to go to?

u can go hougang green if u are staying around the area. there are quite a few agencies you can visit.

which one to choose from? largely depend on ur luck and the type of maids they have available then...

went there to get one recently as my current one is resigning even before she complete her 2 years contract. haiz

which agency did i go for? the one with the maid i like after interviewing her... hope this helps.:s12:

m@maboi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
to all experts and owners,

is there such a rule where if the maid less drawn from her ex-employer is $600, i need to follow suit? i recently change a new maid and was surprised there is such ruling. She is an Indo btw.

Harri83

Master Member
Reaction score
to all experts and owners,

is there such a rule where if the maid less drawn from her ex-employer is $600, i need to follow suit? i recently change a new maid and was surprised there is such ruling. She is an Indo btw.

You can't afford $600 ? :s13:

Harri83

Master Member
Reaction score
Be kind.. not everyone is as rich as u..

Really need to do a reality check.
Can't even afford $600, what will happened to the maid ?

38780699_2196594027283806_5504783970383953920_n.jpg

Screen-Shot-2018-08-07-at-6.30.05-pm.png

Screen-Shot-2018-08-07-at-6.31.05-pm.png

princessreiko

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do you all give your helper handphone?

When my helper first came 9 years ago, I gave her a handphone to carry whenever she goes out with my kids or go to out to run errands but I didn't let her keep the phone for personal use. She could use my home phone to call home with her own top up card.
Of course when she first arrived in my home, I let her call her family (i paid for the phone charges) to inform them that she has arrived safely.
When she had enough money, she bought her own handphone but I told her no chatting on the phone during working hours.
On and off I top up her SIM card.
She has been with me for 9 years.

tk

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Really need to do a reality check.
Can't even afford $600, what will happened to the maid ?

m@maboi has a new bb otw.. good for him to be prudent on finances.. Actually i think his question was not so much on affordability but whether the maid agency is trying to smoke him..

evets

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
When my helper first came 9 years ago, I gave her a handphone to carry whenever she goes out with my kids or go to out to run errands but I didn't let her keep the phone for personal use. She could use my home phone to call home with her own top up card.
Of course when she first arrived in my home, I let her call her family (i paid for the phone charges) to inform them that she has arrived safely.
When she had enough money, she bought her own handphone but I told her no chatting on the phone during working hours.
On and off I top up her SIM card.
She has been with me for 9 years.

nowadays chances if one maid can complete their 2 years contract can consider one a lucky employer. lol

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.