HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Experienced fathers, pls advise first time father here

Like Tree84Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2017, 10:49 PM   #166

My girl goes to infant care until now childcare. It's true that they fall sick very often especially first 2 years.

Buy thermometer is really a good buy. Confirm temperature rather than by feel.

Sent from Sony F8332 using GAGT
yap, thermometer is a must. have at least one backup
themuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:52 PM   #167

(4) Just feel that if taking a car, necessary to get a good child seat / boaster and always strap your child in. No matter how tight you hold the child, in the event of an emergency brake, we'll sure lose grip and they'll just fly off.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:47 AM   #168
Arch-Supremacy Member

Congrats! i believe many parents here have answer your doubts. i shall contribute as well.

1) Natural birth is always better. Ask ur wife for her pain tolerance, if she cannot take pain, ask her go for epidural.

Always try for natural birth unless you believe in bazi and your fengshui master gave u a specific time to cut.

2) having 2 healthy girls of my own without having signing up for cordlife. i seriously think this is a waste of money. Just my POV.

3) Infant care is expensive. if your wife is not working. why is she not taking care of the baby? Check with ur parents or in-law if they are comfortable helping u out with monetary payment.

4) i'm having 2 kids and a maid. i travel around by Grabtaxi. and yes. UberX and JustGrab/GrabCar will not be able to fetch you. Sometimes they will.

5) ahh Haenim UV sterilization machine sibo? for a start get those which uses a bit of water

6) arrange with ur parents to come over lor. else discuss with ur boss on this. Else ask ur wife to find a job that has no OT.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:07 PM   #169
Supremacy Member

I will be welcoming my first child at end of year. Doc says its a boy.

Please help me with below questions:
1) is c section or natural birth better?

Needless to say, natural better. But if doc advises csection, listen to him. Some parents I known die die want go natural.
Insisted to deliver big baby naturally. Forceps can cause damage. And wasn't there a few thread on vagina fitsula where poo flows to vagina??? Baby too big thus doc need to cut more resulting in fitsula.

2) is signing up for cordlife or donate cord to the cord blood bank worth it?

I see it as an insurance. I never sign up in end cos of possible cordblood contamination. But it might be more useful if you plan to have more children. Eg. First child healthy, maybe second child might need that cordblood.

3) Worth to send to infant care? My wife keep telling me 6 months can send, but I think he doesn't know anything at that age, and its expensive, why not just send to toddler class at 18months. I personally started education much later at K1.

Not worth to send if your wife just wants him to learn.

4) Is it a need to buy a car with a baby now? I heard grab and uber don't entertain children.

If can afford, just go for it. If not, take public transport also not too bad. Esp now the buses allow open strollers. Just don't get those bulky strollers. Take lift also troublesome. Buy one that can easily fit into bus entrance. I always lift stroller with my child to board bus.

5) What to buy besides baby clothes, baby cot and baby stroller? My wife tell me there is a milk bottle sterilisation kit that costs $400??

nappy rash cream, nasal aspirator , baby fever pads (these 3 very important)

Baby sling try get tula. Buy both sling and stroller. Once bb reach over 10kg, wearing sling is really very tiring

Try getting a cooling mat too. It helps in bringing baby's fever down.

Cotton buds to wipe eyes.

6) Who to take care of baby if both parents working? We both work long hours. One option is leave with parents, but baby travel at night back to my house is troublesome, same HDB town but 5 bus stops away. Stay with my parents my wife also not keen. Second option is hire maid, but I am worried about child safety. Third option leave baby at childcare but even at 7pm, both of us may not be out of office and may get bogged down by OT. How do you manage this?

You willing consider moving into wife's parents hse to stay?
Once bb is out, both of you won't mind extra pairs of hands.

If not consider getting a helper and ask parent to supervise.

pls advise thanks.

serangoon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 03:23 PM   #170
Master Member

Other than q1 and 2, the rest of the questions are financial questions. Got money to spare or not heartpain to spend, go for the most expensive, else go for alternatives.

Edit: FYI, my wife also opt-ed for natural birth, gynae also strongly recommend natural...but in the end still went for emergency c-sec.....very chor-siao.....so q1 is really dependz on circumstances....

Q2 is how you view insurance....you dont buy the most expensive car insurance just to pray for accident to happen and claim it right? If you do, cordlife most expensive storage plan is just the right match for u.....not your baby.

Sent from Samsung SM-N950F using GAGT

Last edited by chickenpiez007; 12-09-2017 at 03:29 PM..
chickenpiez007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 03:12 PM   #171
High Supremacy Member

first time father here... which hospital to go to ah? actually my wife n i wan to go kk but under private as wife ish pr... but i see alot ppl go tmc, mount a etc like no ppl like to go kk why ah?
Old 13-09-2017, 04:50 PM   #172

first time father here... which hospital to go to ah? actually my wife n i wan to go kk but under private as wife ish pr... but i see alot ppl go tmc, mount a etc like no ppl like to go kk why ah?
congrats to fatherhood!

ask your gynae which hospital he/she uses for delivery. Your wife will follow your gynae throughout her pregnancy term. Make sure both of you are comfortable with the gynae and know upfront the delivery charges. KK is govt hospital, if your gynae is from KK, expect longer appointment wait time and charges are relatively cheaper compare to private doctors. TMC and Mt A are private hospital, hence shorter wait time and more personalised service.
Arcanell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 10:26 PM   #173
High Supremacy Member

congrats to fatherhood!

ask your gynae which hospital he/she uses for delivery. Your wife will follow your gynae throughout her pregnancy term. Make sure both of you are comfortable with the gynae and know upfront the delivery charges. KK is govt hospital, if your gynae is from KK, expect longer appointment wait time and charges are relatively cheaper compare to private doctors. TMC and Mt A are private hospital, hence shorter wait time and more personalised service.
thank u... but if i were to go kk for my gynae and opt for private suite package will the waiting time be same as long?
Old 13-09-2017, 11:06 PM   #174

kk is fine... quite some of my friends go there...
Old 13-09-2017, 11:31 PM   #175
High Supremacy Member

kk is fine... quite some of my friends go there...
Oh ok... But here comes the qns... There's a lot of docs to choose from... Shld I juz randomly ask the nurse choose for me or wat... Cos there's a lot of recommendations online... Duno how to start..
Old 13-09-2017, 11:48 PM   #176

Oh ok... But here comes the qns... There's a lot of docs to choose from... Shld I juz randomly ask the nurse choose for me or wat... Cos there's a lot of recommendations online... Duno how to start..
erm, so you rather fixed of choosing kk? do consider the travelling to kk. For mine, we visited one of the neighnourhood gynae.
Old 14-09-2017, 08:09 AM   #177
High Supremacy Member

erm, so you rather fixed of choosing kk? do consider the travelling to kk. For mine, we visited one of the neighnourhood gynae.
Ya is better cos previously had been visiting there for my wife things my wife feels comfortable going there le...

Sent from OPPO R7PLUSF using GAGT
AnTzX_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 09:59 AM   #178

I will be welcoming my first child at end of year. Doc says its a boy.

Please help me with below questions:
1) is c section or natural birth better?
2) is signing up for cordlife or donate cord to the cord blood bank worth it?
3) Worth to send to infant care? My wife keep telling me 6 months can send, but I think he doesn't know anything at that age, and its expensive, why not just send to toddler class at 18months. I personally started education much later at K1.
4) Is it a need to buy a car with a baby now? I heard grab and uber don't entertain children.
5) What to buy besides baby clothes, baby cot and baby stroller? My wife tell me there is a milk bottle sterilisation kit that costs $400??
6) Who to take care of baby if both parents working? We both work long hours. One option is leave with parents, but baby travel at night back to my house is troublesome, same HDB town but 5 bus stops away. Stay with my parents my wife also not keen. Second option is hire maid, but I am worried about child safety. Third option leave baby at childcare but even at 7pm, both of us may not be out of office and may get bogged down by OT. How do you manage this?

pls advise thanks.
I will be short and sweet.

1) natural is better.
2) we donate in the hope that it will help other since keeping for our own use is too ex.
3) infant care is ex. for me, my mum is helping look after till 18months. also got up and down.
4) i got a car, but mainly is for going in malaysia to visit grandparent. otherwise, traveling in singapore taxi is sufficient. huge expense owning a car
5) since going malaysia, got baby diaper from malaysia. so far baby still on breast milk, so save money on milk powder. got some feedback that milk powder is different in malaysia.
6) my arrangement: sunday evening bring over to parent hse. baby stayed there still friday evening when we bring her back for the weekend. down side: baby does not recongise our hse and is cranky. good side: least troublesome. of cos parent must be willing to take care. baby equipment buy 2 set, 1 for parent hse 1 for your own hse.

hope this help
zjlim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 01:19 PM   #179
High Supremacy Member

For sharing purpose

For baby clothes, can consider checking this wholesale place:

Shen Kwong Trading Co
Blk 269 Queen Street #01-246, Singapore 180269
Opening hour: mon- sat (9am-5.30pm)

U can find items for newborn such as:

$17 for 1 pack (12 sheets)

Kimono top for newborn
Around $10 for 6 tops

Long pants for newborn
Around $12 for 6 pants.

They also sell different sizing of towels and handkerchiefs for infant.
zensushi likes this.

Last edited by sunshinemou; 14-09-2017 at 01:26 PM..
sunshinemou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 10:02 PM   #180

For sharing purpose

For baby clothes, can consider checking this wholesale place:

Shen Kwong Trading Co
Blk 269 Queen Street #01-246, Singapore 180269
Opening hour: mon- sat (9am-5.30pm)

U can find items for newborn such as:

$17 for 1 pack (12 sheets)

Kimono top for newborn
Around $10 for 6 tops

Long pants for newborn
Around $12 for 6 pants.

They also sell different sizing of towels and handkerchiefs for infant.
thanks. bought lots of napkins last time for my first child. end up never even use once after seeing the convenience of disposable diapers.

oops, just realised this is where we bought my child's clothes.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.