HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Fathers, is a good primary school really that important for your child?

Like Tree2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2018, 09:35 AM   #166
Supremacy Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 9,028
In the end, it is the kid's highest qualification that matters.
mummy1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 03:01 AM   #167
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 199
In the end, it is the kid's highest qualification that matters.
no mummy, u r behind the times liao. that was valid 20 yrs ago.
nao its the kids skill and ability that matters more.
another 10-20 yrs, prolly doctors time to feel jialat. like the philippines, churn out so many docs until no job
BwaySaiBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:56 AM   #168
Arch-Supremacy Member
 
invigo79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 20,578
Any school will do as long its nearby and convenient. Dont want to subject my kids to school bus.

My kid can wake up at 7am, get ready and reach school by 7:30am.

Sent from Home using GAGT
invigo79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:13 PM   #169
Arch-Supremacy Member
 
paul02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 10,093
So as you know, my baby is coming out end of the year. yesterday I catch up with my friend, he say need to plan for primary school liao. I say isn't it abit too early? He say no. If you want BTO near branded school, you need to apply now, and when BTO completed, just nice your child can apply primary school. He also say if you want to start as community leader, you need to also start serving now.


I studied in neighbourhood primary school myself but the more I google, the more I realised Singapore parents are really very kiasu, got this website called kiasu parents just talk about primary school, and I must admit the allure of my child entering a branded school does sound attractive. My friend told me, if no BTO, see which areas of resale appeal to you. Pay abit more nevermind, don't let cheap BTO price affect the future of your child. Yes you pay lower BTO price, but your child future will be affected just because he does not live near a branded school. Next time when he is older as a teenager, you want to apply BTO live punggol also nobody cares.


Is my friend right? Really so cut throat nowadays in primary school? Secondary school or JC I can understand but primary school level???
Think you're planning too far ahead, settle with a place first and review your options when the child is about 6.

Be a good father first, and select a school not for its "brand" but for the values it espouses where possible.
__________________
The fool says in his heart,
“There is no God.”
paul02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:39 AM   #170
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1
I too have a kid just 2 years old and am already planning to get him into a top primary school. Too bad didn't plan it even earlier, now I will have to sell my current flat and buy a new resale depending on which school accepts me as PV in two years.

My rationale is simple. If my kid aspire to attain a certain level of academic achievement, however it is to be measured, he needs a certain amount of "education". As a father I am willing to do all I can to help him with achieving that. The value of a top school is such that the school can give him 80% what he needs, while the remaining 20% can be supplemented by maybe his own curiosity and drive, plus maybe home tutoring. If however I slack now and he ends up in a non-top school, then it could be the school gives him 50%, while the remaining 50% will have to rely on the kid working hard and me working my ass off tutoring him for him to achieve the same goal.

I find it fair and pragmatic. Parents who are kiasu and invest their time and energy in getting their kid into a good school will reap fair return they deserve.
charlestrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 01:00 PM   #171
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 11
hi all,

just my 2 cents worth....

i was in a pretty normal primary school back then. although that school now became the top sch in the east now.

i only came to realise what it means when i got hired for a job (many years ago) simply because the company boss saw i graduated from that school.

talk about the effect of good schools
Tparku is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On