My kid loves rap songs, a bit worried

Victoria2017

Reaction score
Personally I dislike rap music. Rappers normally have bad images and reputation and are certainly not good role models. I never listen to this genre and never play it at home. Then one day, I am shocked to find my kid play English rap songs in YouTube and effortlessly imitate the lyrics. It looks kid quite enjoys the rhythm, although the lyrics may not be fully understood. Should I start to worry about it? Do I need to express my dislike of this music genre and discourage the kid from finding more rap songs? Any advice is appreciated!

Victoria2017

Reaction score
Does any parent encounter similar problem?

Personally I dislike rap music. Rappers normally have bad images and reputation and are certainly not good role models. I never listen to this genre and never play it at home. Then one day, I am shocked to find my kid play English rap songs in YouTube and effortlessly imitate the lyrics. It looks kid quite enjoys the rhythm, although the lyrics may not be fully understood. Should I start to worry about it? Do I need to express my dislike of this music genre and discourage the kid from finding more rap songs? Any advice is appreciated!

zensushi

Reaction score
Doesn't sound like it should concern parents too much?

Of course if the lyrics contain vulgar/harsh language, the young ones should be educated on their inappropriateness...

One of my former students is an accomplished rapper. Picked up the interest during his upper primary school days. He is now 16 & a well-adjusted, polite young man. :)

idjekyll

Reaction score

In this day and age, what use would it be if you express your dislike of your child's music listening habits if he or she is only going to listen to it when you're not around. If you're secure in your ability to parent, your child will likely be able to distinguish good and bad characteristics from the actions of his or her loved ones rather than adopt what's in those rap lyrics. I'm pretty sure some of the world's worst known despots, serial killers and child rapists listen to classical music.

mummy1234

Banned
Reaction score
My kids, 8 and 12 years old boys, sometimes rap to videos they find on Youtube too... largely harmless lyrics, so I don't really mind....but some characters my younger son follows on Youtube uses a lot of foul language which he picks up...we try to limit his exposure to those videos and correct him...

sAVaGEmP5

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

damn it is becos of parent like u that killed dreams of kids. Want ur kids to study like a book worm n get office job in yrs to come ?

CCCustom

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wo prease ni la, better rap than K-pop ;) You have no idea how lucky you are.

Rap has a lot to do with playing around with words to make stuff rhyme. Your kid can actually learn from it. Understandably, you'll need to put in some effort to educate your kid on the importance of understanding what is being said, why is this word or phrase used in here instead of something else. No doubt, it's probably not as easy when you yourself don't appreciate the genre and you're likely to find it a PITA when you dislike it in the first place ... but then it's not supposed to be about you, is it? ;)

stanleyzrs85

Reaction score
I grew up with rap. I have to say now days rapper are S%$t! But you can try to push some good once, like Common, Mos Def, Nas or some of those. Just because they use "bad language" or they talk about street stuff that does not mean they are not educational, in their own way. sooner or later we ll all have a reality check!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.