Should I let my Son go Express in Neighbourhood school or N(A) in better schools?

quirkyhill

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
express stream better .

go N(A) is learn all those useless peasant subjects like D&T and home econs. u got see hwa chong students study such useless subjects?

Lol in rg f&n was offered as an o level subject
When I reached jc someone from a kinda neighbourhood school told me that only n(a) students did such subjects

quirkyhill

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It isn't my fault that she put herself in a situation like this.

Her son's genes probably came from her husband.

Otherwise it is inconceivable that a person who passed all the stringent academic requirements and interviews and aptitude tests to get into medical school can produce a child who scored 199 in PSLE... Impossibru!

Possible la
Regression to the main

hotsnowi

Reaction score
Mummy1234, may i know which neighborhood school that you want to send?

I suggest you look at Express stream- your kid will be more well taken of by teachers as compared to NA. Cos Express is suppose to be cream of the crop. Not the NA. I agreed with one of the EDMWers said NA used 4 years preparing N level and 1 year for O level. Trust me, it's a HUGE jump. Unless your kid can score min 85 pts for almost every subjects, chances of promoting from NA to Express is low.

Generally, principals won't want to take risk

With some tuition, your kid should have no problem catching up. NA has many many unmotivated, irritating kids. You won't want him to mix with them.

quirkyhill

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyway ts should go post in kiasu parents forum
They are the real experts

Meat Bao

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ok I change my mind.

Put your son into Express at a regular school.

:crazy:

sartorial

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
can't make it means can't make it. putting him in a good school won't make much of a difference.

muddywaters

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Which is better? And has a better chance of going to polytechnics?

How in the first place a good school or "better school" will have Normal (A)? Can list couple of examples?

As far as I remember, only the crappy schools will have Normal classes. Why would the "better" schools have Normal to "contaminate" the Express ?

Spirax

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
First choice are very important, 2nd choice will be hard to meet
Goes to each open house to see, see each normal and express O-level passing rate

pohw0008

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Neigbhour school.. 10mins walk from home.. but that was 20 years ago.. haha.. probably the kids nowadays very different from last time.. also last time when i was sec1 and 2.. the whole class was very motivated to study as we got 2 new young pretty teacher taking care of us.. so our class on avg did as well as the best express class in the sch out of the 4 classes.. really lucky to have good teachers back then..

Which Sec school did u go to?

pohw0008

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ya.. some really go all the way.. especially when u in uni will hear all kind of late bloomer.. got one friend from NT to NA to O level to poly and then uni.. really long way up.. wonder how did he make it..

Sounds like one of my colleague. He got 191 marks.. Went express steam last class in his secondary school.

But got into jc, then into ntu and scored well enough to take up ASTAR scholarship. He's now a phd holder working as research team manager in the private sector after completing his bond in astar.

hotsnowi

Reaction score
Yes, go open house see see, look at the environment, the students. Don't be too wow by open house. The students and teachers supposed to put up their best front. Check out the CCA available, ask how they do selection. Perhaps your kid is interested in one of those CCA and other schools bores him?

Greysky

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if TS choose NA in better schools, I'll still advise him to follow up on his studies closely.

Greysky

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if child is going to jc, lack of pure science offered in NA stream will totally pwn him if he enters JC after 5 years.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.