Path of Exile thread, the revival - Part 2

TrueBeliever_jh

Honorary Member
Reaction score
This patch included the new changes to Shock and Chill - here's a quick explaination of what changed.

Previously, Chill always slowed it's target by 30%, and Shock always increased damage taken by 50%. The amount of cold or lightning damage in the hit that caused the ailment, compared to the maximum life of the target, determined how long they would last.

Chill no longer slows enemies by a fixed amount for a variable duration. Now, Chill will slow enemies for a duration of 4 seconds by an amount based on the Cold damage dealt to the enemy. A purely Cold hit which removes 50% of an enemy's life will slow that enemy by 30% for 4 seconds, scaling linearly down to 0% at no Cold damage dealt.
Similarly, Shock no longer increases the damage taken by enemies by a fixed amount for a variable duration. Now, Shock will apply to enemies for a duration of 4 seconds and increase the amount of damage the shocked enemy takes based on the Lightning damage dealt to the enemy. A purely Lightning hit which removes 50% of an enemy's life will increase the damage that enemy takes by 50% for 4 seconds, scaling linearly down to 0% at no Lightning damage dealt. Shock is still only applied by critical strikes or based on your chance to shock.

These changes make it easier for build that focus on bonuses against enemies that are Shocked or Chilled to use those effects against high-life enemies, particularly bosses.

These maximum magnidues for these ailments applay even in cases where you have stats that would increase the effect. This means that a player with 100% Increased Effect of Chill will only have to remove 25% of a monster's life with Cold damage to slow them by the maximum 30%, because this hit would normally slow by 15%, and that value is increased by 100%. Increasing the effect of Chill further, or dealing more Cold Damage, will not slow the monster more - it will just make it easier to reach that 30% cap. Shock, with a cap of 50% increased Damage taken, works the same way.

Hits that would shock or chill for less than 5% of the ailment's effect are ignored - i.e. a Chill that would only slow an enemy by 4% will not be applied.

Chilled Ground, or any Chill not caused by a Hits, has a slowing effect of 10%, unless otherwise specified.
Shocked Ground, or any Shock not caused by a Hit increases damage taken by 20%, unless otherwise specified.

There are new reminder texts for Shock and Chill so you can see these values in game, but they may not be applied to all the correct stats yet.

Another quick note: Power Charges now grant 30% increased Critical Strike Chance per charge (down from 50%) and 4% more Spell Damage per charge,
and Frenzy Charges now grant 4% more damage with Attack skills (as opposed to 4% more Damage). You can see these changes in the Charges page of the Charcter Panel.

hmm.. wtf?
quite a nerf right?

IStayInHougangChalet

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
any1 got unused deafening/shrieking essence of contempt in perm standard can sell me @ bro price? :s13:
legacy standard also can, i also gt some currency about 2ex there

not for resale. self craft and use for my facebreaker toon only

TrueBeliever_jh

Honorary Member
Reaction score
5 more days, what is your new build?
Frost Blade. still hoping for MTX for that skill.

But the other budget build :s13:
the one i followed. the one that i am doing in the new league. sama-sama. a bit of diff in passive tree.

and i really hate Darkray. that boot is so bloody dark :mad:

TrueBeliever_jh

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Balance Changes to Chill, Shock, and Charges

In Wave 4 of the Beta, we reduced the Increased Critical Chance granted by Power Charges bonus and gave them More Spell Damage, while changing Frenzy Charges to only grant its More Damage bonus to Attacks, to better align each of them with their appropriate attribute.
We received a lot of community feedback, with many people against the change and many people in favour of the direction of its nerfs. We have decided to take more time to discuss this change and its consequences, removing it from the 3.0.0 patch. If we make it or a similar change to Charges in the future, we'll make sure to give more notice and explanation of reasoning.

This change was intended to reduce the high impact for low cost that Power Charges have on critical chance, while making them more valuable for the majority of Intelligence Spellcaster builds in another way. For now, we're just going to reduce the effect granted by Power Charges from 50% increased Critical Chance to 40% increased Critical Chance, as we still want to reduce the large value of Critical Chance players gain from this accessible resource.

:s31:
can make it for this Friday release or not?:s13:

and threshold jewels are quest rewards......... wtf?

Last edited:

Vulpix

Reaction score
Should I expand the guild? :( I am getting quite a few requests from new and old players joining back for 3.0 this Saturday. Our capacity now is 110, thinking of pushing to 140.

blong

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think GGG should concentrate on getting the new content/features for 3.0 polished rather than them spending time changing stuff which can affect other things. Can later on than make the changes what. Why die die must do it in 3.0???

TrueBeliever_jh

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Should I expand the guild? :( I am getting quite a few requests from new and old players joining back for 3.0 this Saturday. Our capacity now is 110, thinking of pushing to 140.
i doubt we will even get more than 50% of 110 active once 3.0 hits this weekend :s22:

do the members also visit this forum thread?

Vulpix

Reaction score
I think GGG should concentrate on getting the new content/features for 3.0 polished rather than them spending time changing stuff which can affect other things. Can later on than make the changes what. Why die die must do it in 3.0???

Want to change, change everything at the same time I guess. :s13:

Rogue

Reaction score
My league starter for Harbinger, hardcore, will tentatively be a flameblast totem templar.

TrueBeliever_jh

Honorary Member
Reaction score
1ii3admtt7dz.jpg

the gloves good for frost blade?

Vulpix

Reaction score
Updated first post. Friday have to start pruning the guild...

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.