Wireless IP Camera thread

Like Tree57Likes
Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 09:45 PM   #541
Master Member

Red face

This looks like a Foscam OEM, but may not be one. The Foscam has a lower price point though. Mediapro also sells a B series @ S$139. It is one of the lowest priced pan-and-tilt IR wireless IP cam that I have come across.
Went to SLS today. Saw the Aztech WIPC401 on display at Cybermind and Fuwell.

Cybermind is out of stock the Intel 520 240GB SSD, but Fuwell has that, so bought that and the WIPC401. Came home, did a quick set-up. As I was connecting directly to my laptop rather than via the router, I had to use the supplied utility to locate the device, set the IP address to a fixed one (it uses DHCP by default to obtain an IP address) before I could configure the camera. This seems to be the case for the Foscam and the Wansview/SmartEye IP cameras.

Guess what? The user interface seems to be nearly identical to the Mediapro F series model that I bought (which is shares the same OEM as the Foscam FW8918W). Mediapro is selling a H series, which is the Wansview SmartEye NC530W model. Both models offer similar functionality, but are from a different OEM. Mediapro's H Series is retailing at a UP of S$319, but the cash price is stated as S$229. The WIPC401 is retailing at S$199, but if you ask to pay cash, you can get some discount off this. There is no more F series from Mediapro, but here is the B series

I have had dealings with Aztech for a long while... in fact, dating back to before there was Aztech. The company was known as AVS Electronics then, located in Kallang Basin. I bought my Apple ][+ from them (was attended to by Michael Mun and Patrica then). I've also had their sound cards, and lately their Powerline products and LED light bulbs. Considering that Aztech's WIPC401 is selling below say the H series, and that Aztech is more than likely to release updated firmware, I would say that the WIPC401 is worthy of consideration. Yes, it may not be the lowest priced pan-and-tilt wirelss IP camera with IR capability (that goes to Foscam/B series), but this price is about the same as some of the fixed view cameras (e.g. Prolink PIC1005WN), thereby making it a worthy competitor.

If you are looking for the cheapest pan-and-tilt wireless IP camera with IR capability, the Foscam/B series offers the lowest price (Mediapro is selling the B series at S$139 cash, UP S$199). However, price wise, it is similar to the Wansview/SmartEye/H series, and below the models of TP Link, Prolink, Edimax, SMC/Trendnet, Linksys and Dlink (models that offer pan-and-tilt, no optical zoom and IR capability).

Like I said in one of my previous post, the market for IP cameras is very competitive. It may be difficult for Aztech to compete on price, especially since the WIPC401 shares a very similar OEM design to the FW8918W. Thus one way for Aztech to stand out is to offer better support, which might not be impossible since Aztech is a local company.

Note: I made a mistake earlier when I thought the WIPC401 is similar in OEM to the Wansview/SmartEye NC530. This is incorrect. The design is actually more similar to the OEM of Foscam FW8918W/F series. Apologies for the confusion as I have too many different cameras and got them mixed up.

Last edited by Dr_ARCHer; 13-02-2012 at 08:59 AM..
Dr_ARCHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 05:25 AM   #542

Hi there

For vstarcam, Currently I am able to remotely view the camera if it's on LAN. But when I set it to wifi mode, the ddns status of the camera fails at the webui administrator page. (on starhub fibre plan with huawei router with port mapping done for the camera static ip)

if I set the camera to wifi mode, do i still need to map the wifi Mac address of the camera to a static ip also? Can someone share if h6837wi works if it's set to wireless mode, and remote viewing via third party app such as live cam pro works when camera is set to wireless mode?

Love to hear your views on this.
remoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 02:42 PM   #543

so you set ddns on the router? you use free ddns?
btw which one is better:
- ddns set only at ip-camera(even have 3 camera, set only at 1 cam?)
- ddns set only at router
- ddns set only at pc (mean pc need on )
Been busy. Yes, I set on my router. FREE DYNDNS.ORG
My ip cameras have their own DDNS (bought from MARIXSPL), but
I've been using my own DDNS instead. So far no such problem of abuse.

Set at router would be best for me. I had additional devices to be turned
on without valid reason of use.
geckoSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 02:48 PM   #544

So, Aztech WIPC401 is only using MJPEG video compression...
Old 14-02-2012, 10:27 PM   #545
Master Member

So, Aztech WIPC401 is only using MJPEG video compression...
Yep. No H.264 encoding.
Old 15-02-2012, 08:30 AM   #546

Challenger selling @ $149 for members only I think at NP. Walked past but didn't really see promo period from when to when.
Old 15-02-2012, 08:31 AM   #547

Hi there

For vstarcam, Currently I am able to remotely view the camera if it's on LAN. But when I set it to wifi mode, the ddns status of the camera fails at the webui administrator page. (on starhub fibre plan with huawei router with port mapping done for the camera static ip)

if I set the camera to wifi mode, do i still need to map the wifi Mac address of the camera to a static ip also? Can someone share if h6837wi works if it's set to wireless mode, and remote viewing via third party app such as live cam pro works when camera is set to wireless mode?

Love to hear your views on this.
Yes. It works. Lan or wireless no diff
Old 15-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #548

If using Vstarcam H6837WI on LIVE CAMS PRO, there is a profile for it already... DNS setup wise, I remember seeing it being documented somewhere on their setup guide... Check their setup guide on MARIX's website for H6837WI. Can't blame them since you didn't buy from them.
But, their guide is already comprehensive enough.
sorry for the slow reply, but i still cant get it viewing on the live cams pro after following their instructions
garagelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #549

IMPORTANT!

All VStarcam H6837WI owners.

We need to inform you that a security flaw was discovered on the VStarcam H6837WI (firmware 0.1.0.3.135) but a workaround solution is also available (Credit to Ms Christina).

We would like you to refer to our marixspl.blogspot.com for the details of the security flaw and follow the sets of instruction to close the flaw.

Those who are not on the above firmware (if not bought from MARIX, please follow the steps as well as you might have this issue as well, do not compromise your personal privacy)

Moderators, please be kind to allow this post to remain for the benefits of those using this model of camera.
geckoSG likes this.
marixsupport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 01:31 PM   #550

Hey guys i'm getting a wireless IP camera. Got any comments on the following? VStarcam is $70 more. Why is that so? Thanks in advance.

Foscam FI8918W - Foscam FI8918W (BLACK), IT Lifestyle Store by MARIX

versus

VStarcam H6837WI - VStarcam H6837WI(BLACK), IT Lifestyle Store by MARIX

read until very blur...

Last edited by uplinkhack; 23-02-2012 at 01:35 PM..
uplinkhack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 10:24 PM   #551
Master Member

Hey guys i'm getting a wireless IP camera. Got any comments on the following? VStarcam is $70 more. Why is that so? Thanks in advance.

Foscam FI8918W - Foscam FI8918W (BLACK), IT Lifestyle Store by MARIX

versus

VStarcam H6837WI - VStarcam H6837WI(BLACK), IT Lifestyle Store by MARIX

read until very blur...
Different OEM, different capabilities. For example, the Foscam is only 11g, while the Vstarcam is 11n. Vstarcam can record to SD card, Foscam does have an SD card slot.

Both are equally capable pan-and-tilt cameras. Get one that suit your budget.
Old 23-02-2012, 11:04 PM   #552

Different OEM, different capabilities. For example, the Foscam is only 11g, while the Vstarcam is 11n. Vstarcam can record to SD card, Foscam does have an SD card slot.

Both are equally capable pan-and-tilt cameras. Get one that suit your budget.
Tks. Decided to get the VStarcam. More "future proof".
uplinkhack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 09:35 AM   #553

hi..,
if someone have VStarcam H6837WI, can check, if this camera able to record video continuously to sd card?
when i bought edimax 3030wn, i thought it can record video continuously, but it can not.
it record base on motion detection.
thanks for any info.
reflush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #554

hi..,
if someone have VStarcam H6837WI, can check, if this camera able to record video continuously to sd card?
when i bought edimax 3030wn, i thought it can record video continuously, but it can not.
it record base on motion detection.
thanks for any info.
Yes. VStarcam H6837WI can record continously. It was a feature on their
model. I saw from their webUI that motion recording is also available.
Old 25-02-2012, 02:46 PM   #555

Oh... Saw this being posted in MARIX's shared photo... Looks exactly like Aztech's camera!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.