New PC Projects and Review Forum!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Adilogy
  • 1 Post By shadow84

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-10-2012, 01:57 AM   #1
Administrator

New PC Projects and Review Forum!

Most of you should be aware of the closure of the OC Den forum and the Case Modding forum. All relevant discussions have either been moved to the main H/W Clinic forum or the Knowledgebase forums.

While culling both of these old forums, I've noticed some high quality projects being posted and it certainly deserves retention rather than letting it get culled by the main forum a year later.

As such, I've created the new PC Projects and Reviews forum to give members their own space to keep and share valuable user created content. Use this forum for the following purpose:-
  • Creating project logs for various PC and other related projects
  • Creating personal product reviews

As mentioned, this forum is provided for the benefit of members to have a personal space to create content of valuable information to the community such as the above-mentioned topics.

Understandably, most members will just create their threads in the main H/W Clinic and is perfectly fine as we understand you would like to gather viewpoints sooner. The moderators will move appropriate content to this new forum when applicable.

The main advantage of this new forum is that threads and posts here will not be automatically culled by the system once it gets old. This means that your hard work will be around even after years to come for all others to view and share. This is just like the Knowledgbase forums, where content never gets culled. But unlike it, you can start threads in the PC Projects forum.

Both the Knowledgbase and PC Projects forums aim to keep important content intact and safe from the auto-culling system in place in the main forum once the content is old. The difference is that the new forum is dedicated to Personal Projects and Reviews, whereas all other good discussions and other topics can be found in the knowledgebase forums.

By default, moderators will be on the lookout to move relevant threads to these forums, but feel free to PM the mods of this forum if you would like your thread or seen a good thread that's worth to be moved to these respective forums.

For a start, I'll leave this thread open in case you would like to point out relevant threads that you think deserves to be in the PC Projects or Knowledgebase forums.

* Moderators reserve all rights to take appropriate moderation actions.
* All rules in the main H/W Clinic apply to this new forum as well.
Old 29-10-2012, 11:56 AM   #2

Finally a thread dedicated to PC Projects. Nice.
Dr.Vijay likes this.
Adilogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:42 AM   #3
Junior Moderator

Nice initiative, support

Finally a 'safe' place to post user reviews, I hope
Old 03-11-2012, 09:21 AM   #4
Arch-Supremacy Member

dont forget to post pictures in the hoot thread
Elijahonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 02:04 AM   #5

Smile

Hi i'm new here. Can someone tell me if this will be okay for a mid range gaming machine?
Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
ASRock Z77 Extreme6 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
A-Data Premier Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card
Thermaltake Tough Power 550W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Antec GX700 case

Do i need wifi or sound cards?
kevinojy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 02:15 AM   #6

Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
ASRock Z77 Extreme6 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
A-Data Premier Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card
Thermaltake Tough Power 550W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Antec GX700 case

Do i need wifi or sound cards?
This build is pretty decent but i will highly suggest u get faster RAM cuz 3570K out of the box support 1600Mhz (noticeable diff). The price is just a little higher but it will be worth it IMO. Since u intend to get a 3570K, i take it as u will be OCing. RAM plays a part in OC too! I'm not a pro but when i was doing my rig, this was the advice i received.

just my 2 cents
unknownsource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:49 AM   #7
Great Supremacy Member

What about reviews of brands that are not on the sponsor list? In other words, non approved brands
tarui04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:12 AM   #8

Not sure if it's relevant, but yea.

I'm intending to build my first PC next month and I'm not so sure about the compatibility issue.
CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master HYPER TX3 EVO
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage:Toshiba 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB Video Card
Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: FSP Group 550W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Full (32/64-bit)

Built it by using BestBuy's price list, which is roughly about $1245. For the HDD and casing, I went to the shop to check for the price, which was $73 for HDD and $139 for Storm Scout II. How's it for a build? Is there anything in particular that I have to look out for?
WebbieMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 08:30 AM   #9

I'm intending to build my first PC next month and I'm not so sure about the compatibility issue.
To get a better idea if the parts you chose are compatible or not, try checking out pcpartpicker and input the parts, once you choose the GPU of choice the succeeding components that will be shown are the ones compatible with your choice(s).
Taveren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 08:59 AM   #10
High Supremacy Member

To get a better idea if the parts you chose are compatible or not, try checking out pcpartpicker and input the parts, once you choose the GPU of choice the succeeding components that will be shown are the ones compatible with your choice(s).
Bro, this thread how many donkey months ago liao... You think webbie still deciding on his parts?

Kindly dun chu necro powers and revive old threads.
royfrosty likes this.
Old 26-09-2014, 08:38 PM   #11

Bro, this thread how many donkey months ago liao... You think webbie still deciding on his parts?

Kindly dun chu necro powers and revive old threads.
Was meant for others to see as reference since it us a sticky.
Taveren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:32 AM   #12

G.Skill Ripjaws-X 2133 mHz 8gb (2x4) RAM~120
Asrock Extreme 4 + i7 4790k ~650
Windows 8 Home Prem ~140
MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr ~575
Toshiba 7200 rpm 2TB HDD ~94
Samsung Evo 250 SSD ~175
Superflower Leadex 650w ~150
Corsair Spec 03 ~90
Samsung DVD RW ~20
Armegeddon Ak700 keyboard ~20
LG 22M45D 22 inch 1920x1080p Monitor ~150

Total is around 2200. Is this a good rig, or are some components bottlenecking it? Would the corsair case and psu be enough? Do I need a 2133 mhz ram at all? Can I get tradepac to help me assemble/boot? Should I invest in extra fans or something? (putting it in a corner of my non-aircon room)

I need the rig for gaming and a bit of image rendering. I chose this setup in order to go for some light OC and future proofing. Is it possible to upgrade to SLI config later? (space in casing/power supply enough? ) Is it possible to add more usb 3.0/2.0 ports somehow?

Prices are taken from tradepac except for monitor and keyboard.
JingKang95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.