HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

$700 Tab For A Normal De-Scaling

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-07-2017, 05:28 PM   #16

What is this PH test? Also, how do you know the tablets expired? Normally the expiry date is on the box itself not on the tablets. Did the vet tell you what grade of dental disease it was?

Antibiotics normally not warranted in dental disease unless its severe like a Grade 4 with clinical signs such as inappetance
My dog spitted phlegm when he was there, so the vet took out a very small strip of PH paper, dip into the phlegm to test. Then told me it's not coming from stomach or lungs.

Dates are written on the meds itself.

No the vet did not tell me anything unusual. My dog is only 4 years old, and i send him for dental yearly. I use synergy lab dental fresh daily for my dog. Every year, before dental procedure, the vet will dispense Clavet. Used to be 250MG x 10 but changed to 500 x 20. Vet says meds will kill / minimise the bacteria before dental procedure.
BaileysMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 06:28 PM   #17
High Supremacy Member

Anesthesia may kill a dog. It not always good to keep giving Anesthesia. Saw a dog go scaling and never wake up again.

Anesthesia free dentals dont work, please dont give misleading information

http://www.ava.com.au/node/85991
harky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 07:12 PM   #18
Arch-Supremacy Member

Anesthesia may kill a dog. It not always good to keep giving Anesthesia. Saw a dog go scaling and never wake up again.
Everything in life may kill you lah. If u don't look after your dog's oral hygiene then no choice have to do dental which requires GA.
lycans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 07:16 PM   #19
Arch-Supremacy Member

My dog spitted phlegm when he was there, so the vet took out a very small strip of PH paper, dip into the phlegm to test. Then told me it's not coming from stomach or lungs.

Dates are written on the meds itself.

No the vet did not tell me anything unusual. My dog is only 4 years old, and i send him for dental yearly. I use synergy lab dental fresh daily for my dog. Every year, before dental procedure, the vet will dispense Clavet. Used to be 250MG x 10 but changed to 500 x 20. Vet says meds will kill / minimise the bacteria before dental procedure.
I'm starting to question what your vet did, bit suspicious with the pH strip. I wonder what was the vet testing for? As far as I know, testing of bodily fluids that is not blood or urine for its pH is not something established in veterinary medical literature.

Unless your dog has really bad dental disease, antibiotics should not be given. Again I'm not the attending vet so I don't know how bad the teeth are. Maybe find a new vet?
Old 17-07-2017, 11:31 PM   #20
High Supremacy Member

no ppl will send dog do yearly scailing with Anesthesia de.
the most is every few year. somemore he got brush teeth le..

Everything in life may kill you lah. If u don't look after your dog's oral hygiene then no choice have to do dental which requires GA.
harky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 11:15 PM   #21

Reason why i put up post is to warn dog owners to beware of Animal Practice Vet 1015 Upper Serangoon Rd.

They dispense meds which i feel that it is not necessary and most importantly, TAKE NOTE: they gave EXPIRED meds. Charge crazily. They force owners to visit again and again.

There was 1 time my dog had ear infection. First time i went, he gave me 2 solution. Taught me how to do it but force me to return the next day. Say that they wanted to ensure that i'm applying the medication correctly. When i went back the 2nd time, they force me to go back the third time, saying that they will check again as well as teach me what to do in order not to get the infection again. Why can't they do it all in 1 visit??? Other Vets just provide the medication, teach you how to do it and that's it. Did not ask for 2nd visit unless condition not getting any better or worst.

Animal Practice Vets are businessman, NOT Vets. BEWARE!!!
Old 18-07-2017, 11:28 PM   #22

I'm starting to question what your vet did, bit suspicious with the pH strip. I wonder what was the vet testing for? As far as I know, testing of bodily fluids that is not blood or urine for its pH is not something established in veterinary medical literature.

Unless your dog has really bad dental disease, antibiotics should not be given. Again I'm not the attending vet so I don't know how bad the teeth are. Maybe find a new vet?
As i've mentioned, no diff from a year or two. No extraction.

Anyway, i have 1 more question if u don't mind.

Dental procedure, every year Animal Practice Vet increases the timing does this looks odd to you? It seems like they are trying to increase price more than anything else. Maybe i am wrong, your thoughts and advise?

year 1: Dental Procedure (subsequent)/min x 15
year 1: subsequent ISO/Oxygen For Dental per min x 20

year 2: Dental Procedure (subsequent)/min x 50
year 2: subsequent ISO/Oxygen For Dental per min x 45

year 3: Dental Procedure (subsequent)/min x 64
year 3: subsequent ISO/Oxygen For Dental per min x 59
Old 19-07-2017, 05:39 AM   #23
Arch-Supremacy Member

As i've mentioned, no diff from a year or two. No extraction.

Anyway, i have 1 more question if u don't mind.

Dental procedure, every year Animal Practice Vet increases the timing does this looks odd to you? It seems like they are trying to increase price more than anything else. Maybe i am wrong, your thoughts and advise?

year 1: Dental Procedure (subsequent)/min x 15
year 1: subsequent ISO/Oxygen For Dental per min x 20

year 2: Dental Procedure (subsequent)/min x 50
year 2: subsequent ISO/Oxygen For Dental per min x 45

year 3: Dental Procedure (subsequent)/min x 64
year 3: subsequent ISO/Oxygen For Dental per min x 59
The time it takes for a dental is dependent on the skill of the vet. If uncomplicated grade I dental takes me 15 mins or less. Year 3 is a bit suspicious, take 1 hour to do dental cleaning? No extractions??!! I'd seriously ask to see the vet and ask how he/she justify doing a 1 hr dental with no extractions
Old 19-07-2017, 05:47 AM   #24
Arch-Supremacy Member

Reason why i put up post is to warn dog owners to beware of Animal Practice Vet 1015 Upper Serangoon Rd.

They dispense meds which i feel that it is not necessary and most importantly, TAKE NOTE: they gave EXPIRED meds. Charge crazily. They force owners to visit again and again.

There was 1 time my dog had ear infection. First time i went, he gave me 2 solution. Taught me how to do it but force me to return the next day. Say that they wanted to ensure that i'm applying the medication correctly. When i went back the 2nd time, they force me to go back the third time, saying that they will check again as well as teach me what to do in order not to get the infection again. Why can't they do it all in 1 visit??? Other Vets just provide the medication, teach you how to do it and that's it. Did not ask for 2nd visit unless condition not getting any better or worst.

Animal Practice Vets are businessman, NOT Vets. BEWARE!!!
TBH, you are veering into the area of slander now. I'd be careful if I were you.

Expired meds are not that big a deal to me as meds generally have efficacy past the expiry date. The reason why meds have expiry dates come from FDA legal requirements and research have demonstrated that meds can be effective even after 15 years past expiry date.

All consults should have a recheck at least once. So the fact that your vet ask you to come back doesn't bother me much. If a condition is bad enough I have asked owners to come back daily till it's resolved. Most Australian owners won't bitch and moan about it
danielkok likes this.
Old 19-07-2017, 08:51 AM   #25

The time it takes for a dental is dependent on the skill of the vet. If uncomplicated grade I dental takes me 15 mins or less. Year 3 is a bit suspicious, take 1 hour to do dental cleaning? No extractions??!! I'd seriously ask to see the vet and ask how he/she justify doing a 1 hr dental with no extractions
No extractions. I did ask them, all they gave me was, "oh it's a big dog, so it took longer than usual."

Maybe my dog has giant dinosaur teeth..

Thanks for your advise, pretty much confirmed that charges from Animal Practice Vet isn't justified.
Old 19-07-2017, 08:56 AM   #26

TBH, you are veering into the area of slander now. I'd be careful if I were you.

Expired meds are not that big a deal to me as meds generally have efficacy past the expiry date. The reason why meds have expiry dates come from FDA legal requirements and research have demonstrated that meds can be effective even after 15 years past expiry date.

All consults should have a recheck at least once. So the fact that your vet ask you to come back doesn't bother me much. If a condition is bad enough I have asked owners to come back daily till it's resolved. Most Australian owners won't bitch and moan about it
I wouldn't mind going back daily if condition is bad. But ear infection?
I'm just stating facts.. Nothing more nothing less.
I'll take back the businessman sentence.
Old 19-07-2017, 05:24 PM   #27
Arch-Supremacy Member

I wouldn't mind going back daily if condition is bad. But ear infection?
I'm just stating facts.. Nothing more nothing less.
I'll take back the businessman sentence.
Yes, even ear infection. Many owners don't realise the full gravity of a bad ear infection but I do. Death and possibly long term neurological issues may result from some of the nastier strains of ear infection. It is also poor animal welfare bordering on animal cruelty if you don't get on top of ear infection
Old 19-07-2017, 05:26 PM   #28
Arch-Supremacy Member

No extractions. I did ask them, all they gave me was, "oh it's a big dog, so it took longer than usual."

Maybe my dog has giant dinosaur teeth..

Thanks for your advise, pretty much confirmed that charges from Animal Practice Vet isn't justified.
On the contrary big dogs are easier to do dentals on because under GA they relax their jaw and it's really spacious but dental extractions can be a nightmare in big dogs
Old 19-07-2017, 06:00 PM   #29

On the contrary big dogs are easier to do dentals on because under GA they relax their jaw and it's really spacious but dental extractions can be a nightmare in big dogs
I'm giving him Synergy labs solution daily and try brushing daily too..

I understand as they grow older GA will be more dangerous?
Old 19-07-2017, 08:57 PM   #30
Arch-Supremacy Member

I'm giving him Synergy labs solution daily and try brushing daily too..

I understand as they grow older GA will be more dangerous?
No, risk of GA is independent of age although old age does increase the risk of kidney, liver, heart and lung disease, etc a young dog may also suffer from any of these conditions and be an anesthetic risk
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.