[AMA] I am a veterinarian. Ask me anything :D

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi! My puppy is having this issue with ticks and it's a never ending cycle. Any tips on how to get rid of it for good?

We have tried frontline but it doesn't seem effective as the ticks still returned. :(

Use Bravecto or Nexguard for a better flea and tick treatment.

The thing with fleas or ticks, once they infest your home it can be very difficult to get rid of them because their eggs are really tiny and can be in any nook or crevasse in your home. Worse if you have carpets because their eggs tend to sink into the very bottom of carpets and become hard to dislodge.

Successful deinfestation of ticks/fleas can take up to 2 years since thats how long their eggs are viable in the environment. Integrated pest management is needed to control ticks and fleas effectively but easier said than done. The environment is always the hardest to control

calbeee

Reaction score
Use Bravecto or Nexguard for a better flea and tick treatment.

The thing with fleas or ticks, once they infest your home it can be very difficult to get rid of them because their eggs are really tiny and can be in any nook or crevasse in your home. Worse if you have carpets because their eggs tend to sink into the very bottom of carpets and become hard to dislodge.

Successful deinfestation of ticks/fleas can take up to 2 years since thats how long their eggs are viable in the environment. Integrated pest management is needed to control ticks and fleas effectively but easier said than done. The environment is always the hardest to control

Where can I get Bravecto or Nexguard? Is it a similar application like frontline?

Seems like it's really difficult to get rid of them. :(

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Don't say I bad. Look for review on Bravecto or Nexguard first. Because they are new product.

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Where can I get Bravecto or Nexguard? Is it a similar application like frontline?

Seems like it's really difficult to get rid of them. :(

In Australia, its everywhere in pet shop...not sure in SG

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oh dear, i just googled online and it seems that the products killed some dogs? :/

Just like everything you read online, take it with a barrel of salt. I have been recommending it to pet owners, havent had any issues yet.

People like to blame all sorts of things when things go bad in life. Blame vaccines for autism, blame GMOs for celiac disease, blame sugar for diabetes, etc. It is up to you and your vet to decide what is the best treatment option, if you are uncomfortable with Bravecto or Nexguard then dont use it. Simplez

Joseph99

Reaction score
hi all, i need some help and advise here. I brought my dog to clinic several times but her skin problem still continues. does anyone has the same issue ? and the vet gave oclacitinib .. and this medicine is for long terms.. was wondering if there are any side effects ..

thanks.

https://imgur.com/ycZcmcs
https://imgur.com/qTaP406

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
only tht part got issue?
some time can be ur food also.. many things.

hi all, i need some help and advise here. I brought my dog to clinic several times but her skin problem still continues. does anyone has the same issue ? and the vet gave oclacitinib .. and this medicine is for long terms.. was wondering if there are any side effects ..

thanks.

Joseph99

Reaction score
only tht part got issue?
some time can be ur food also.. many things.

yes, only that part has more serious skin conditions... as for food wise, we gave her frog meat which the doctor recommends.. and nothing else..

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
could it be because he lay on the floor that cause it?
but ur dog skin look redish... look like got abit skin problem.

did u use any floor detergent?

yes, only that part has more serious skin conditions... as for food wise, we gave her frog meat which the doctor recommends.. and nothing else..

pinkbunnie

Reaction score
Hallo doctor. I intend to stop feeding my dogs kibble n make them fresh food instead. How should I gauge the amount I should be feeding dem? They r getting fatter too despite eating same amt of food.

Both r adopted dogs, 1 have some issue w the hind leg which I'm more concern bout, worry she might have difficulties walking as she get older, u think supplements like glucosamine would rly help?

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hallo doctor. I intend to stop feeding my dogs kibble n make them fresh food instead. How should I gauge the amount I should be feeding dem? They r getting fatter too despite eating same amt of food.

Both r adopted dogs, 1 have some issue w the hind leg which I'm more concern bout, worry she might have difficulties walking as she get older, u think supplements like glucosamine would rly help?

First off, what do you mean by 'fresh food' ?

Fish oil, glucosamine + chondroitin, etc all good supplements

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

thanks.

KNN, use such a cheem name that I had to google then realised it Apoquel :o

Basically your vet would suspect some kind of immune mediated dermatitis hence the need for Apoquel. Side effects is supposedly "less" severe than the traditional glucocorticoids used for immune suppression since Apoquel targets the JAK-STAT pathway in the cell.

Side effects are the usual like diarrhea, vomiting, immune suppression leading to demodicosis and sometimes weirdly increased aggression in dogs

buzzmario

Reaction score
Hi, may I know can I feed bravecto and heartgard at the same time. I am currently feeding revolution to my adulth maltness.Thanks

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, may I know can I feed bravecto and heartgard at the same time. I am currently feeding revolution to my adulth maltness.Thanks

Why not Bravecto and Milbemax? Milbemax does heartworms and the 4 major intestinal worms.

lookingahead

Reaction score
pomeranian or ckc spaniel

Hi, I am considering to keep a pet dog but not sure which puppy to get since I have minimum experience with dog. Personally, I love pomeranian or ckc spaniel but are open to other breed recommendation. Staying in HDB so unable to have big dogs.

Area of concern:

1. Wish to get a dog with least possible health issue.
2. Require minimum grooming.
3. Prefer dogs that does not bark much.
4. Wouldn't have much time to bring dog out, hence prefer less active dogs.

pinkbunnie

Reaction score
lol at your point 3. Why not get a hamster instead? No barking issue.
No time spend with ur dog nvm, hamster can self entertain themselve with the wheels.

Don't think you are ready for a dog looking at your questions. Maybe you can try fostering for a start to try out.

:spin:

lookingahead

Reaction score
lol at your point 3. Why not get a hamster instead? No barking issue.
No time spend with ur dog nvm, hamster can self entertain themselve with the wheels.

Don't think you are ready for a dog looking at your questions. Maybe you can try fostering for a start to try out.

:spin:

I am not sure why it is funny at point 3. Am not asking for a dog which don't bark. Some breed tends to bark more than others. I already have a hamster.

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
got $$ to burn a not?? vet fee now a day not cheap..
base on ur 1-4.... better dont get a dog. Mostt breed will had 1-4 issue..

dont see ppl dog good than u think is natural like tht. all is training & care effort tht owner put in le.

Hi, I am considering to keep a pet dog but not sure which puppy to get since I have minimum experience with dog. Personally, I love pomeranian or ckc spaniel but are open to other breed recommendation. Staying in HDB so unable to have big dogs.

Area of concern:

1. Wish to get a dog with least possible health issue.
2. Require minimum grooming.
3. Prefer dogs that does not bark much.
4. Wouldn't have much time to bring dog out, hence prefer less active dogs.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.