HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[AMA] I am a veterinarian. Ask me anything :D

Like Tree104Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2017, 12:43 PM   #781
High Supremacy Member

got $$ to burn a not?? vet fee now a day not cheap..
base on ur 1-4.... better dont get a dog. Mostt breed will had 1-4 issue..

dont see ppl dog good than u think is natural like tht. all is training & care effort tht owner put in le.

Hi, I am considering to keep a pet dog but not sure which puppy to get since I have minimum experience with dog. Personally, I love pomeranian or ckc spaniel but are open to other breed recommendation. Staying in HDB so unable to have big dogs.

Area of concern:

1. Wish to get a dog with least possible health issue.
2. Require minimum grooming.
3. Prefer dogs that does not bark much.
4. Wouldn't have much time to bring dog out, hence prefer less active dogs.

Last edited by harky; 08-09-2017 at 12:46 PM..
harky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:15 PM   #782

got $$ to burn a not?? vet fee now a day not cheap..
base on ur 1-4.... better dont get a dog. Mostt breed will had 1-4 issue..

dont see ppl dog good than u think is natural like tht. all is training & care effort tht owner put in le.
Agree that vet quite expensive. I brought my hamster to see a vet and it cost about $100. Dogs easily cost 200-300 bucks and above. I do understand that some effort is required for keeping a pet and nothing is easy unless one really lucky to have a pet with min issue. My frd had Chihuahua and rarely had any issue except some barking. Her neighbours r ok but not all neighbour r the same, some r quick to complain.
lookingahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 07:37 PM   #783
Master Member

My dog's skin condition worsened and we decided to shave him. Now easier for me to take a photo. The bump on his body was checked by the vet, not of concern.

As usual the vet is not able to pinpoint the exact cause. I noticed some round patches on his stomach.

I am worried about ringworm but he's up to date on his annual vaccination and the vet ruled it out the previous time. His appetite and everything else remains the same though. Don't know what to do liao.

But he couldn't cope with her, so he skedaddled.
babyrainy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 11:38 PM   #784
Arch-Supremacy Member

My dog's skin condition worsened and we decided to shave him. Now easier for me to take a photo. The bump on his body was checked by the vet, not of concern.

As usual the vet is not able to pinpoint the exact cause. I noticed some round patches on his stomach.

I am worried about ringworm but he's up to date on his annual vaccination and the vet ruled it out the previous time. His appetite and everything else remains the same though. Don't know what to do liao.
TBH, I'd be concerned about ringworms too. How your vet rule it out?
Old 28-09-2017, 12:25 AM   #785
Master Member

TBH, I'd be concerned about ringworms too. How your vet rule it out?
She did a microscopic test on the scabs and after that just said it shouldn't be ringworms. Uh, is that how ringworms are tested for? Will be bringing him to another vet for some other opinion. If it is really ringworms, is it life threatening for a 11 year old dog? And will humans be able to get infected as well? Thanks.

Last edited by babyrainy; 28-09-2017 at 12:28 AM..
Old 30-09-2017, 08:55 PM   #786
Arch-Supremacy Member

She did a microscopic test on the scabs and after that just said it shouldn't be ringworms. Uh, is that how ringworms are tested for? Will be bringing him to another vet for some other opinion. If it is really ringworms, is it life threatening for a 11 year old dog? And will humans be able to get infected as well? Thanks.
Quick and easy would be to use Woods Lamp to check for flourescence but only about 40% of ringworms will show up. The other tests will be dermatophyte testing medium which cultures the fungi and can take a long time to show up. For me if suspicious of ringworms, treat as if it is ringworms with medicated wash first
Old 30-09-2017, 09:00 PM   #787
Master Member

Quick and easy would be to use Woods Lamp to check for flourescence but only about 40% of ringworms will show up. The other tests will be dermatophyte testing medium which cultures the fungi and can take a long time to show up. For me if suspicious of ringworms, treat as if it is ringworms with medicated wash first
Yup, went to the vet on Thursday night. She gave the antifungal cream to apply for 3 weeks, and 2 weeks dosage of antibiotics. Will continue to monitor. Thanks!

Old 09-10-2017, 01:23 PM   #788

hi, in an acute kidney failure diagnosis, if a dog has normal creatinine levels but high blood urea nitrogen level, does it mean that the damage to kidney is potentially reversible?
tirednhungry247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 09:36 PM   #789
Arch-Supremacy Member

hi, in an acute kidney failure diagnosis, if a dog has normal creatinine levels but high blood urea nitrogen level, does it mean that the damage to kidney is potentially reversible?
In some cases yes, acute renal failure can be reversed. Depends on what caused it in the first place

High BUN and normal creatinine may indicate early stages of kidney disease although i have seen high BUN in bad dental disease with normal creatinine that is corrected once dental surgery is done
tirednhungry247 likes this.

Last edited by lycans; 09-10-2017 at 09:39 PM..
lycans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:24 PM   #790

Thank you! Your reply is very very helpful. I also heard that a cat/dog could be in early stages of kidney failure and yet have normal BUN/crea values. Is that true? In your experience, what are the early signs which show that your cat/dog's kidneys might be degenerating, and how do you prevent that?

In addition, do you have any tips on caring for a geriatic cat (13 years)? Thanks in advanced
tirednhungry247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:09 PM   #791
Arch-Supremacy Member

Thank you! Your reply is very very helpful. I also heard that a cat/dog could be in early stages of kidney failure and yet have normal BUN/crea values. Is that true? In your experience, what are the early signs which show that your cat/dog's kidneys might be degenerating, and how do you prevent that?

In addition, do you have any tips on caring for a geriatic cat (13 years)? Thanks in advanced
Theoretically possible, there used to be a HESKA kit for detecting renal diseases in dogs and cats way before it even shows up on the bloodworks.

The reality is that most of the time I find the patient's bloodwork BUN and crea to be abnormal even before there is clinical signs because I enjoy collecting and testing bloodworks

Typically one need to lose 75% of kidney function before it becomes clinical
Old 11-10-2017, 10:03 AM   #792
Supremacy Member

Theoretically possible, there used to be a HESKA kit for detecting renal diseases in dogs and cats way before it even shows up on the bloodworks.

The reality is that most of the time I find the patient's bloodwork BUN and crea to be abnormal even before there is clinical signs because I enjoy collecting and testing bloodworks

Typically one need to lose 75% of kidney function before it becomes clinical
What's your view on the IDEXX SDMA test?
soarskyhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:32 PM   #793
High Supremacy Member

Urinalysis test is best for early detecting like kidney right?
harky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:53 PM   #794
Arch-Supremacy Member

What's your view on the IDEXX SDMA test?
TBH, I have never used it before. From my understanding, all the papers that say it is a good test is done by Idexx, so naturally they will laud their own product but still I dont think it should deter anyone from using it, it may still be a very good test.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:54 PM   #795
Arch-Supremacy Member

Urinalysis test is best for early detecting like kidney right?
Yes but only if they run special tests like the HESKA ERD panel. Routine urinalysis checks USG and some other panels
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.