HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[AMA] I am a veterinarian. Ask me anything :D

Like Tree150Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2018, 05:55 AM   #871
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi lycans

Thanks for starting this AMA! I have been periodically checking in and keeping up with the thread. But sometimes I zone out while reading the various posts... roll my eyes until.. Kudos to you putting up with some really silly pet owners lol...

(Ok I better stop and get off my horse before being flamed :X)

Questions! Sorry if they have been asked before...
1. Do you have an Aussie accent by now?
2. Nationality of your clientele? Angmo Aussies? Asian Aussies? Any fellow SGers who had migrated to Australia and decided to stay and be PR then Citizens there?
3. How many times do you come back home to visit?
4. Is the road to be a vet tough? The studies for example. All those "science" modules, hard anot?
1) No, I donít think so but when I come back to Singapore for holidays, people think Iím not a local. So I guess I did pick up some accent from Australia.

2) Predominantly white Aussies but you also get Pacific Islander, Asians, etc. Lots of Singaporeans around here are PR then convert to citizens, I myself am PR but may take up Aussie citizenship in future.

3) About once a year

4) Itís a medical degree so you need OP1 to get in, I found the degree easy and straightforward but your mileage may vary.
lycans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 12:57 PM   #872

Well, I just stick to the Hills k/d because I donít feel confident enough to formulate a home cooked diet for dogs. There are websites like balancedit.com which is marketed at pet owners who want to prepare a home made diet for their pets. There are sections on the website on preparing food for any disease conditions in dogs and cats. However please be advised that you do so at your own risk and please discuss with your vet about what you plan to do first.

I think you should get more info from your vet. What stage is it at now?
Thanks for the reply. My dog has passed away peacefully at home last Tuesday. To all pet owners out there, do spend time with your pets so that you won't live with regrets when it's time for them to leave us. For the very least, I feel that I have done what I could and gave her a happy and good life while she was with me.
girlzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:50 AM   #873

Thanks for the reply lycans. I read in a scmp article that the ratio of vet to pet in HK is 620:1 vs USA's 3000plus to 1 and SG is like 2000plus to 1. Those are big differences! How's Aust figures? Do you handle a big load?

*edit Was your OP1 calculated based on GCE Os or another OP test was administered? Did you have a science background in Sec sch?

Sorry about your pet, corliss. I hope you and sis and family stay strong over this. And girlzone so glad to hear you are in this current positive frame of mind You are so right, spend time with loved ones be them humans or animals so to have no regrets when their time has come to leave us. I admire your strength in acceptance and wish to also be the same when its time for my own ones. Thanks for the reminder to continue giving mine a happy and good life! 😻

Last edited by helkel; 04-02-2018 at 09:03 AM..
helkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 05:26 PM   #874
Arch-Supremacy Member

Thanks for the reply. My dog has passed away peacefully at home last Tuesday. To all pet owners out there, do spend time with your pets so that you won't live with regrets when it's time for them to leave us. For the very least, I feel that I have done what I could and gave her a happy and good life while she was with me.
Sorry to hear that. My condolences
Old 04-02-2018, 05:29 PM   #875
Arch-Supremacy Member

Thanks for the reply lycans. I read in a scmp article that the ratio of vet to pet in HK is 620:1 vs USA's 3000plus to 1 and SG is like 2000plus to 1. Those are big differences! How's Aust figures? Do you handle a big load?

*edit Was your OP1 calculated based on GCE Os or another OP test was administered? Did you have a science background in Sec sch?

Sorry about your pet, corliss. I hope you and sis and family stay strong over this. And girlzone so glad to hear you are in this current positive frame of mind You are so right, spend time with loved ones be them humans or animals so to have no regrets when their time has come to leave us. I admire your strength in acceptance and wish to also be the same when its time for my own ones. Thanks for the reminder to continue giving mine a happy and good life! 😻
I dunno about Aussie figures, never really bothered. The load depends on where you are at, some poorer socio-economic area i dont see alot of cases but those that come in is usually severe preventable diseases like tick paralysis or parvo. The more wealthier areas I get to see more patients and those cases tend to be more mundane age related ailments

OP1 is for those high school students in queensland, australia the highest possible tier. It would be like scoring AAA in A levels in Singapore. I took science my whole life so yes.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:46 AM   #876

Hello, this is my second question in this thread.

Is it safe to bath my dog with fleas and tick shampoo (im using ADAMS) once every week?
yubibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:21 PM   #877
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hello, this is my second question in this thread.

Is it safe to bath my dog with fleas and tick shampoo (im using ADAMS) once every week?
It's safe but not good, you will strip the essential oils from their coat
Old 06-02-2018, 02:14 AM   #878

It's safe but not good, you will strip the essential oils from their coat
Ah ok. Also, another question:
I tried feeling around the area where my dog's testis are supposed to be,but i couldn't feel anything at all. Only smooth surface. (100% confirm male). I also couldn't see any surgical scar as well so im confused whether he is spayed or not. Since i cant feel any testis, is it safe to assume he is spayed?
yubibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 12:58 PM   #879
Arch-Supremacy Member

How do we dilute Chlorex for dogs?
If the product stated 1% or 0.5%
Just pour water to mix?
Do we need to use smth to stir & mix?
No use for a Name is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:29 PM   #880
Arch-Supremacy Member

Ah ok. Also, another question:
I tried feeling around the area where my dog's testis are supposed to be,but i couldn't feel anything at all. Only smooth surface. (100% confirm male). I also couldn't see any surgical scar as well so im confused whether he is spayed or not. Since i cant feel any testis, is it safe to assume he is spayed?
Could it be already neutered? In some parts of the world, after desexing the vet will tattoo the ear. I am not sure whats the go in Singapore on how the local vets identify animals that have already been desexed.

Worse come to worse, it could be bilateral cryptorchid which is kinda rare....
Old 09-02-2018, 08:30 PM   #881
Arch-Supremacy Member

How do we dilute Chlorex for dogs?
If the product stated 1% or 0.5%
Just pour water to mix?
Do we need to use smth to stir & mix?
I just use tap water. Follow the instructions on the product.
Old 13-02-2018, 10:25 PM   #882

Neurological problem

Hi, my dog of 9+yo recently was diagnosed with neurological issues. Eversince in mid Jan this year, he suddenly starts to walk with head tilted then follow by walking unsteadily and wobbly..

Yesterday, he couldn't really eat but today he's slightly better but still not very stable. Its really heartbreaking for me cos vet mentioned that if his conditions deteriorate I have to make decision to put him down. I really don't want that to happen.. every day whenever I see him I will cry.. it's too much to bear...

He is still able to wag his tail whenever I call out to him...but he can't move and his eyes are shutting on n off...

I really hope for a miracle and hoping someone can advise me further.

I really thank you from the bottom of my heart...
ipod baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 02:45 PM   #883
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi, my dog of 9+yo recently was diagnosed with neurological issues. Eversince in mid Jan this year, he suddenly starts to walk with head tilted then follow by walking unsteadily and wobbly..

Yesterday, he couldn't really eat but today he's slightly better but still not very stable. Its really heartbreaking for me cos vet mentioned that if his conditions deteriorate I have to make decision to put him down. I really don't want that to happen.. every day whenever I see him I will cry.. it's too much to bear...

He is still able to wag his tail whenever I call out to him...but he can't move and his eyes are shutting on n off...

I really hope for a miracle and hoping someone can advise me further.

I really thank you from the bottom of my heart...
If a miracle is what you are after then pray and hope its canine idiopathic vestibular syndrome. Basically, its a condition where something goes wrong with their vestibular system in the ear canal causing dizziness and wobbliness and head tilt. No cure or effective treatment exist but will go away on its own with time usually many many months.

If you got money, suggest taking it to a vet with CT scanner or MRI
Old 18-02-2018, 11:07 AM   #884

If a miracle is what you are after then pray and hope its canine idiopathic vestibular syndrome. Basically, its a condition where something goes wrong with their vestibular system in the ear canal causing dizziness and wobbliness and head tilt. No cure or effective treatment exist but will go away on its own with time usually many many months.

If you got money, suggest taking it to a vet with CT scanner or MRI

Hi there, many thanks for the reply!

My dog has went for a blood test and nothing is wrong including his ears except that vet mentioned it could be some neuro issues.

he is now on Prednisone. These 2 days he is in better condition, he can eat well and move ard so much better than before. Hope he can recover soon.
ipod baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 09:24 AM   #885

I see! Well..seems like vet care and human medical care is the same in this way too. Varying levels of affluence in each locale brings with it their related sets of issues. This is interesting to read about, thanks!

OP1 is for those high school students in queensland, australia the highest possible tier. It would be like scoring AAA in A levels in Singapore. I took science my whole life so yes.
Wah did you get AAA in A lvls in SG to get into vet course in Uni?
helkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.