Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Dealing with Feline Chronic Kidney Disease in Singapore

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-08-2016, 02:13 AM   #31

she passed away nov 2014
her body just can't take it anymore...
ultrasound showed that her right kidney is just a shapeless mass
oh my gosh! I'm so sorry for your loss dear. My sincere apologies for bringing the painful memory back.
AristroCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 10:27 AM   #32

oh my gosh! I'm so sorry for your loss dear. My sincere apologies for bringing the painful memory back.
no worries.
it was hard in the beginning
now i focus on the happy times we spent together
applefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 01:24 PM   #33
Arch-Supremacy Member

Arrow

Applefreak,

My wonderful cat pass away today, gave him a week of IV.

Many thanks for the help about the sub cut and link.

no worries.
it was hard in the beginning
now i focus on the happy times we spent together
Old 23-08-2016, 09:53 AM   #34

Applefreak,

oh no!!! I'm so sorry for your loss
It'll be hard and no amount of words can ease that pain
Try to focus on the happy times you've spent together and he will be waiting for you at the other side of the rainbow bridge *hugs*
xtemujin likes this.
applefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2016, 10:55 AM   #35

Applefreak,

I'm so sorry for your loss.
RIP little one.
xtemujin likes this.
AristroCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2016, 06:29 PM   #36
Arch-Supremacy Member

Arrow

Applefreak
AristroCats

Yeah, quite sad.

Thanks for the positive vibes.

Cheers.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:04 PM   #37

First off, DO check out Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat. There are so many things to learn about this disease and as our cats' caregiver, we need to keep on top of things to make sure the rest of their lives are as comfortable as possible.
I'm a vet working in Singapore, this is actually the site I send all my first time CKD patients to. Very comprehensive and well researched info.

For anyone who wants more detailed and technical staging of the disease there is the International Renal Interest Society (iris-kidney.com) guidelines for dogs and cats.

Most of the time we are limited in our treatments by our suppliers, Singapore is too small a market for most companies to bother and even we need to order online or get special approval from AVA to import certain drugs.

Other than that if you have a good vet don't be afraid to discuss your concerns with them, you'll find not all of us are closed minded. Avoid adding supplements etc before you talk to your vet because every case needs to be treated on its own merit and not all cats may need a certain supplement or it may not be appropriate to give in that particular case.

I haven't met Dr Huang personally but I have a client & friend who swears by him (when she isn't seeing me that is )
a562140 likes this.
biliskner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 02:25 AM   #38

Hi, has anyone here tried Lactogold? I suppose itís similar to Azodyl in that it needs to be kept refrigerated.
Any reviews/comments?
felinefurball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 09:14 AM   #39

Hi, has anyone here tried Lactogold? I suppose it’s similar to Azodyl in that it needs to be kept refrigerated.
Any reviews/comments?

That would actually be full name "LactoGold Acerol" not just "LactoGold". There is a probiotics product called "LactoGold" so don't mistake one for the other! They are different but both are developed by the same homegrown biotech company. Acerol requires vet prescription whereas LactoGold is OTC (online retailer).

Acerol contains probiotics strains of Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Bifidobacterium Longum, Lactobacillus Gasseri plus Inulin vs Azodyl's patented strains of Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Bifidobacterium Longum, Enterococcus (Streptococcus) Thermophilus plus Phyllium. Both products supposedly promotes binding of uraemic toxins in the body with the strains and are similarly marketed to relieve kidney workload by trapping them and then getting it excreted faecally.

LactoGold also seems to contain extras: certain fermentable oat products (not sure if FOS is inside) on top of the listed Inulin and other stuff - edit: its probiotics strains are also largely different from Azodyl's.

I won't elaborate or try not to, lol as it will become a WoT: CKD cats not necessarily do well with so many fermentable or soluble fibres, of which some may (FOS) end up binding calcium in the small intestine and lead to an increase in calcium levels in the body. There already is enough things to take note of, helping our kitties and maintaining and halting as much as possible, this chronic disease :p If your cat is IRIS Stage 3 with CREA over 3.5, usually subcut is started as far as I understand. There is calcium in Hartmann's, while both LactoGold and fluids might not be enough to cause Hypercalcaemia, I would err on the safe side personally. Pls do not start supplements for your CKD cat without checking blood works etc - be guided by your vet

I am not sure which product you are referring to, hence my concerns n post. I hope it clarifies.

FYI, I support homegrown always and my kitty was an Acerol user for a year approx until the formulation seemed to have changed 3rd quarter of 2017, B.Longum was removed. I have switched since.

Cheers and let's all keep fighting the good fight with our CKD kitties

Also, a shout out to @Applefreak Thank you for starting this. Before I freaked out too much in Nov 2016, your thread was the third thing I read. After felinecrf and IRIS. You did well, kitty is across rainbow bridge waiting to see you again some days

Last edited by helkel; 14-01-2018 at 09:16 AM..
helkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 10:34 PM   #40

That would actually be full name "LactoGold Acerol" not just "LactoGold". There is a probiotics product called "LactoGold" so don't mistake one for the other! They are different but both are developed by the same homegrown biotech company. Acerol requires vet prescription whereas LactoGold is OTC (online retailer).

Acerol contains probiotics strains of Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Bifidobacterium Longum, Lactobacillus Gasseri plus Inulin vs Azodyl's patented strains of Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Bifidobacterium Longum, Enterococcus (Streptococcus) Thermophilus plus Phyllium. Both products supposedly promotes binding of uraemic toxins in the body with the strains and are similarly marketed to relieve kidney workload by trapping them and then getting it excreted faecally.

LactoGold also seems to contain extras: certain fermentable oat products (not sure if FOS is inside) on top of the listed Inulin and other stuff - edit: its probiotics strains are also largely different from Azodyl's.

I won't elaborate or try not to, lol as it will become a WoT: CKD cats not necessarily do well with so many fermentable or soluble fibres, of which some may (FOS) end up binding calcium in the small intestine and lead to an increase in calcium levels in the body. There already is enough things to take note of, helping our kitties and maintaining and halting as much as possible, this chronic disease :p If your cat is IRIS Stage 3 with CREA over 3.5, usually subcut is started as far as I understand. There is calcium in Hartmann's, while both LactoGold and fluids might not be enough to cause Hypercalcaemia, I would err on the safe side personally. Pls do not start supplements for your CKD cat without checking blood works etc - be guided by your vet

I am not sure which product you are referring to, hence my concerns n post. I hope it clarifies.

FYI, I support homegrown always and my kitty was an Acerol user for a year approx until the formulation seemed to have changed 3rd quarter of 2017, B.Longum was removed. I have switched since.

Cheers and let's all keep fighting the good fight with our CKD kitties

Also, a shout out to @Applefreak Thank you for starting this. Before I freaked out too much in Nov 2016, your thread was the third thing I read. After felinecrf and IRIS. You did well, kitty is across rainbow bridge waiting to see you again some days

Hi, thank you for replying. Yes, I was referring to Lactogold Acerol prescribed by my vet. My kitty is also using Hartmannís as instructed by vet. I didnít understand that bit you wrote about calcium in Hartmannís and how I should be causious. Could you elaborate? If it makes things easier, you can email me or WhatsApp if you prefer. Iíd appreciate any form of advise. My kittyís recent liver profile showed his levels at 3.9
Old Yesterday, 01:55 AM   #41

Hey no problem about my replying, glad that only a little effort on the part could help fellow CKD kitty Guardians

I was referring to LactoGold the probiotics with the additional stuffs as compared to Acerol as maybe having the potential to drive up calcium levels (or I might be over thinking it) over a long period of time in combination with subcut fluids and playing it safe, as not sure which product you were referring to previously.

I think you are referring to kidney CREA values at 3.9 instead of Liver right?
helkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM   #42
High Supremacy Member

Hey no problem about my replying, glad that only a little effort on the part could help fellow CKD kitty Guardians

I was referring to LactoGold the probiotics with the additional stuffs as compared to Acerol as maybe having the potential to drive up calcium levels (or I might be over thinking it) over a long period of time in combination with subcut fluids and playing it safe, as not sure which product you were referring to previously.

I have 2 cats. 15 yrs and 14 yrs old. The 15yrs old cat's kidneys are slowly losing their function, this was discovered on oct 2016 when we brought her to the vet. Vet asked us to feed her azodyle every day and put her on drips 3-4 times a week. As of Dec 2017, her readings have been stabilized and vet asked us to continue what we are doing now.

Now my 2nd cat who is 14, also have the same issue. One of her kidney is slightly starting to lose function. So she too have to be on Azodyl daily and put on drips 3 times a week.
Old Yesterday, 09:38 PM   #43

Goodness me... yes, I meant kidney profile and not liver.
Iím just wondering if Azodyl is better than Lactogold Acerol as Iíve seen more ppl taking about the latter rather than the former.
Old Yesterday, 09:40 PM   #44

I have 2 cats. 15 yrs and 14 yrs old. The 15yrs old cat's kidneys are slowly losing their function, this was discovered on oct 2016 when we brought her to the vet. Vet asked us to feed her azodyle every day and put her on drips 3-4 times a week. As of Dec 2017, her readings have been stabilized and vet asked us to continue what we are doing now.

Now my 2nd cat who is 14, also have the same issue. One of her kidney is slightly starting to lose function. So she too have to be on Azodyl daily and put on drips 3 times a week.
So sorry to hear that. My girl is 14 too and yeah Iím sure my other girl will start too.

Does anyone here know of boarding places that can do subcut? I canít have a sitter come over as my dad lives with me and he doesnít want strangers coming over and he wonít help to look afer them. Difficult for me when I have to travel.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.