Pet food (Dog Owners PLEASE READ)

Harukatana

Reaction score
my dog use to consume alpo ~ but now he has alergic reaction towards alpo ~ so which brand should i buy to feed him ? i brought him to the doctor and the doctor says he is allergic to that brand alpo . . . now he keeps vomiting if i feed him with rice+chicken+vege. . can any kind hearted pple help me with my problems ?

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
mean u dog cannot eat rice+chicken+vege?

There are many brand outside, u got to slowly try..
May try maybe soilidgold? those ex one..

Merlion@sg

Reaction score
No idea why but my westie has allergy to chicken, beef and veg. Only eats salmon. Any idea to improve his diet?

xJuzagalx

Reaction score
Was told by e vet lamb n fish r gd for e dogs. N e main diet for dog is protein so those food tat r rich in protein should be gd for them i tink haaa:s13:

Sn0wBell

Reaction score
Was told by e vet lamb n fish r gd for e dogs. N e main diet for dog is protein so those food tat r rich in protein should be gd for them i tink haaa:s13:

yah, as stated, actually dogs need protein food, but they're not suppose to take in too much carbohydrates. so rice shouldn't give too much...
but basically i think giving dogs kibble is better than feeding them human cooked food, since kibble are made for dogs to eat?
my dog was also allergic to chicken, so we put him on lamb. but i heard fish is good for them.

Sn0wBell

Reaction score
No idea why but my westie has allergy to chicken, beef and veg. Only eats salmon. Any idea to improve his diet?

you can try for kibbles like the Natural Balance series, got like Sweet Potato and Venison, Potato and Duck, Sweet Potato and Fish, or Science Diet Lamb and Rice, or Orijen 6 fish.

you can go online websites to see what type of kibble there is lo. i got these info from here one. http://pet-lab.blogspot.com/

Last edited:

Sn0wBell

Reaction score
orijen is very good, but it's a bit more pricy than the rest of the dry kibble..

BUT!! no matter what you feed, don't feed your dogs Pedigree.. Dogs like it because it is very salty, but it is too salty and can give them kidney failures... My poor chihuahua died last year because we found out about pedigree too late.. we had him on pedigree for quite a few years... ):
i've heard quite a lot of complains about Alpo also, but i'm not too sure about the details..

terrykorkor

Reaction score
yes, some dogs got allegic to chicken, especially those pure breed dogs. so the reason, it might be their genes making some chromosomes stands out.

eat fish type to minimise allegic, however it sounds a bit off that a dog eat fish XD

lionelow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i'm transtioning my westie from natural balance limited diet to pro nature salmon and brown rice.

The Sergeant

Reaction score
My dog is currently on Acana. It's from the same company that produces Orijen. Acana is pretty decent, and costs around $10-$12 less than Orijen. What I like about it is that it caters to dogs of all ages. Worth a try...I wonder if anyone knows about Pedigree food these days? I remb my gf's previous dog developed really really bad health after being on Pedigree, with the food being really high in salt content and such =(

Cryptrus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My Shih Tzu started to develope rashes and paws licking and i find the paws quite pink. We visited the vet quite a few times and was informed to remove Dog Milk. After removing it, the situation is better but still some rashes.

Currently the pup is on Science Diet Lamb Meal and i was thinking maybe its the food. Hence i need some recommendation for dog food suitable for sensitive skin dogs.

Thks

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My Shih Tzu started to develope rashes and paws licking and i find the paws quite pink. We visited the vet quite a few times and was informed to remove Dog Milk. After removing it, the situation is better but still some rashes.

Currently the pup is on Science Diet Lamb Meal and i was thinking maybe its the food. Hence i need some recommendation for dog food suitable for sensitive skin dogs.

Thks

Is the diet suited for a pup? Best to speak with a vet and see what commercial diet is tailored for pups.

Food allergy is rare in dogs and is a diagnosis of exclusion

Cryptrus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is the diet suited for a pup? Best to speak with a vet and see what commercial diet is tailored for pups.

Food allergy is rare in dogs and is a diagnosis of exclusion

The pup is coming 2 yrs old already... she has been on science diet since young and dog milk. no issue until recently she start to develop bad rashes and keep licking its paws... visited the vet for 3 times and the rashes actually came back after medication finish. Vet told us to stop the milk. it improved abit , rashes less but the licking of paws is terrible.

she is now on collar to prevent the licking. The vet is selling Hill's product and when we ask if its the science diet dry food, the vet say no. but we do not gv her anything else except carrots. Vet inform that dogs when reach a certain age will start to exibit allegry.

She was given apple and carrot and now both also stop. left with dry food only. That is why i was thinking of changing to another brand to try. She might start to develop allegry to science diet. We used to alternate chicken and lamb... now even down to juz lamb meal only.
:(

Nothing in the living environment changed except for a carpet in the room... so our guess is either food or that carpet. Vet checked and the rashes not due to mites..

This weekend gg to get some better brand dog food to try.

Last edited:

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The pup is coming 2 yrs old already... she has been on science diet since young and dog milk. no issue until recently she start to develop bad rashes and keep licking its paws... visited the vet for 3 times and the rashes actually came back after medication finish. Vet told us to stop the milk. it improved abit , rashes less but the licking of paws is terrible.

she is now on collar to prevent the licking. The vet is selling Hill's product and when we ask if its the science diet dry food, the vet say no. but we do not gv her anything else except carrots. Vet inform that dogs when reach a certain age will start to exibit allegry.

She was given apple and carrot and now both also stop. left with dry food only. That is why i was thinking of changing to another brand to try. She might start to develop allegry to science diet. We used to alternate chicken and lamb... now even down to juz lamb meal only.
:(

Nothing in the living environment changed except for a carpet in the room... so our guess is either food or that carpet. Vet checked and the rashes not due to mites..

This weekend gg to get some better brand dog food to try.

Just wondering, are you up to date with your flea and tick treatment? How often you wash the carpet?

Cryptrus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
cant recall the name... the medication drip on the dog's back one...i apply 2 months back and its suppose to last for 3 mths.

carpet dun wash one and its like 4 months old. no issue with the dog last yr with the old carpet and it only walk on the carpet...

Vet checked and say no fleas or ticks.

That's why i narrow down to the fodd.

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
cant recall the name... the medication drip on the dog's back one...i apply 2 months back and its suppose to last for 3 mths.

carpet dun wash one and its like 4 months old. no issue with the dog last yr with the old carpet and it only walk on the carpet...

Vet checked and say no fleas or ticks.

That's why i narrow down to the fodd.

Sounds like Frontline Plus...

I think you should wash your carpet as 95% of the fleas live off the dog. Killing off the fleas on your dog does not eliminate the other sources of fleas that can still infect your dog in your house.

rev-flea-pyramid-dogs.jpg

Cryptrus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sounds like Frontline Plus...

I think you should wash your carpet as 95% of the fleas live off the dog. Killing off the fleas on your dog does not eliminate the other sources of fleas that can still infect your dog in your house.

rev-flea-pyramid-dogs.jpg

noted. I recalled one carpet that is used for over 1 yr and never wash + its reused once starting this yr. might be the problem as the other one was 4 months old.:o

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.