HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

CFA vs Masters in Finance

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2016, 12:05 AM   #211

CFA Level 2 study buddy

hey i am taking CFA level 2 in June 2016, which level are u taking?
callmeliong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:06 AM   #212

CFA Level 2 study buddy

hey i am taking CFA level 2 in June 2016, anyone wanna study together?
Old 07-03-2016, 10:19 PM   #213

CFA Level 2 study buddy

I want to find a study buddy for CFA level 2. or just someone i can ask question when i cannoottttt solveeeee.
Old 13-07-2016, 12:56 AM   #214

CFA is tough and pretty expensive. What career doors can it open for us?
coachella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 08:44 PM   #215

CFA is tough and pretty expensive. What career doors can it open for us?
Finance/investment related field. Basically, if u want to be investment banker or portfolio managers like helping clients to diversify their portfolio or hedging manager. This course is for u
Esirious0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016, 08:15 PM   #216

Smile CFA....

Based on my exposure, i think it is very hard to do CFA, especially level 2 and level 3 whereas Masters in Finance covers generic areas of Finance. MS finance is not as extensive as CFA in terms of problem/case solution and coverage. CFA is more directed towards Accountancy and Strategic Finance that's why we see most of CA or CFA professionals as CFO's etc.
esfar.gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 01:30 AM   #217

Based on my exposure, i think it is very hard to do CFA, especially level 2 and level 3 whereas Masters in Finance covers generic areas of Finance. MS finance is not as extensive as CFA in terms of problem/case solution and coverage. CFA is more directed towards Accountancy and Strategic Finance that's why we see most of CA or CFA professionals as CFO's etc.

From what i know. MOF cover generic finance while cfa are more specific in nature but MOF taught students more real life application while CFA is more exam focused.

I wonder why CFA is geared toward accountancy? I think most accountants would just choose to take CPA(which only required 6 papers) rather than taking CFA right?
Old 29-08-2016, 08:22 PM   #218

From what i know. MOF cover generic finance while cfa are more specific in nature but MOF taught students more real life application while CFA is more exam focused.

I wonder why CFA is geared toward accountancy? I think most accountants would just choose to take CPA(which only required 6 papers) rather than taking CFA right?
When you say MOF teaches more real life applications, I believe you're talking about MOF taught in top business school. In general perspective, the fact is MOF is more theoretical in nature compare to CFA or CPA. I see so many people from MOF background never audited any firm. In fact there are universities targeting designing MOF modules on CFA curriculum and they advertise it aswell just to gain audience having fear of attempting CFA exams.
esfar.gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 03:55 PM   #219

I am both a CFA charterholder and MBA from NUS. Here are the differences I know.

1. CFA costs about 5k including study material assuming you pass on first attempts. MBA costs 58k part time at NUS excluding misc fees. Full time program gives some forms of scholarship but don't expect a lot.
2. CFA is 10 times harder to pass. MBA just need to do group projects and you will be fine.
3. CFA needs a lot of discipline and time commitment. If you don't have the perseverance and interest in investment, don't do it.
4. CFA doesn't help you to find a job for career switcher, MBA does.
5. CFA gives you 10 times more satisfaction than MBA.
6. MBA teaches a lot of fluffy stuff but it's usually those fluffy stuff that gets you far in your career.
7. MBA gives you the opportunities to expand your network. CFA doesn't. Those alumni contacts will be helpful.
8. MBA gives you excuses to drink a lot and fool around. CFA is pure hard work.

Let me know if you need more info. Cheers.
Tomfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 09:33 AM   #220

I am both a CFA charterholder and MBA from NUS. Here are the differences I know.

1. CFA costs about 5k including study material assuming you pass on first attempts. MBA costs 58k part time at NUS excluding misc fees. Full time program gives some forms of scholarship but don't expect a lot.
2. CFA is 10 times harder to pass. MBA just need to do group projects and you will be fine.
3. CFA needs a lot of discipline and time commitment. If you don't have the perseverance and interest in investment, don't do it.
4. CFA doesn't help you to find a job for career switcher, MBA does.
5. CFA gives you 10 times more satisfaction than MBA.
6. MBA teaches a lot of fluffy stuff but it's usually those fluffy stuff that gets you far in your career.
7. MBA gives you the opportunities to expand your network. CFA doesn't. Those alumni contacts will be helpful.
8. MBA gives you excuses to drink a lot and fool around. CFA is pure hard work.

Let me know if you need more info. Cheers.
Hi. Thanks for reply. But more than often, do individual need cfa to enter investment line/forex trading sector because from what i know, cfa is only relevant and useful only after u got the work experience in investment related job?

So for those who dont have work exp and thinking of using cfa as a cert to find new job opportunity for themselves in investment related job. It wont be that helpful right?

Is there anyone with no cfa that manage to enter investment related line too? What junior role do they start from for freshie?
Old 22-11-2016, 02:10 PM   #221

Wiley CFA Candidate Information Session (26 November 2016)

The best way is to understand what is takes to earn the CFA. That should help you make a better decision on which first? Not either or but both in a ideal situation.

Date: Saturday, 26 November 2016
Venue: Capital Tower. FTSE Room 168 Robinson Road Level 9 Singapore 068912

Agenda
09:30am to 10.00am - Registration
10:00am to 10:30am - CFA® Program overview (CFA charter, program structure, exam curriculum and format)
10.30am to 11.15am - CFA Exam Support (Self-study packages and Live Classes)
11.15am to 11.45am - Refreshment and Networking Break
11.45am to 12.30pm - Option Workshop by Mr Russell Rhoads, CFA
12.30pm to 1.00pm - Questions and Networking
langkawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 02:15 PM   #222

Here's the link to register. http://bit.ly/SGinforeg
Old 29-12-2016, 05:30 PM   #223

To all June 2017 candidates and potential candidates, join AB Maximus for these info-sessions to find out how we have helped candidates for the past 20 years!

CFA L2 & 3 Blended Program Info-session (5 January 2017)
CFA L1 Blended Program Info-session (6 January 2017)

Click on url to register. http://www.abmaximus.com/cfa-cmt-frm-cma
Old 17-02-2017, 03:31 AM   #224

I'm working in the ib/cf team in a BB here in sg, and none of my colleagues in the same team hold a CFA, and they are not looking out for CFA holders during interviews either. A CFA is really more useful for portfolio management. Not so much for an investment banking/corporate finance/sales & trading role.

This is a good read on how useful CFA is to what you might be interested to do in the future:
http://www.mergersandinquisitions.co...tment-banking/

Hi. Thanks for reply. But more than often, do individual need cfa to enter investment line/forex trading sector because from what i know, cfa is only relevant and useful only after u got the work experience in investment related job?

So for those who dont have work exp and thinking of using cfa as a cert to find new job opportunity for themselves in investment related job. It wont be that helpful right?

Is there anyone with no cfa that manage to enter investment related line too? What junior role do they start from for freshie?

Last edited by Minkie; 17-02-2017 at 03:33 AM..
Minkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 04:15 PM   #225

I'm working in the ib/cf team in a BB here in sg, and none of my colleagues in the same team hold a CFA, and they are not looking out for CFA holders during interviews either. A CFA is really more useful for portfolio management. Not so much for an investment banking/corporate finance/sales & trading role.

This is a good read on how useful CFA is to what you might be interested to do in the future:
http://www.mergersandinquisitions.co...tment-banking/
agree with minkie here.. i'm a charterholder and work in buyside.. it is a good plus point when interviewing for junior roles.. if u want to do a mid-career switch be prepared to start from the bottom as a sai kang warrior data entry excel king for the seniors/pm.. reason being relevant experience still trumps and you will not get the senior role unless u have done something similarly previously.. which means this thread is quite useless to you haha!

so yes.. juniors and fresh grads its a plus point.. every young analyst out there will strive for it as in the larger buyside houses its a promotion requirement (esp those gov related funds).. small boutiques like mine not so much but it helped me get my foot in the door when i was a fresh grad
xxduckxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.