CPA Aust 2016

missWIKIseeks

Reaction score
Anyone enrolling in CPA for Sem 2? I'm about to enrol in ethics and governance as my first course. Any CPA seniors can advise:

- How do you cope with the Audit peak in Jan whilst doing a CPA subject?
- How many days does the hardcopy material take to be delivered to your house?

Gigi.C

Reaction score
Foundation units CPA

Hi,

Anyone did foundation units with CPA Australia?

I am thinking which modules to take first. Appreciate for any response.

Gi

estoppel

Reaction score
Anyone enrolling in CPA for Sem 2? I'm about to enrol in ethics and governance as my first course. Any CPA seniors can advise:

- How do you cope with the Audit peak in Jan whilst doing a CPA subject?
- How many days does the hardcopy material take to be delivered to your house?

I coped during peak period by disciplining myself to reading 10 pages every night, regardless of what time i get home. I told myself if i did not cover 10 pages tonight, i'll have to cover 20 pages the next night. During weekends after slogging, i cover at least 20 pages to keep in pace with the study schedule. Basically it's no life.

To hasten the pace, I took up 2 modules (audit and CBI) during the July to October period during the so called 'off peak' lol. Only did it once as i realise it's pretty challenging to cope especially you have listed clients with June year end :( All in all I completed the whole thing in 2.5 years....

Did not wait for the hardcopy to arrive, usually they will upload the first few chapters online and i'll start off reading them for a headstart. hope this helps and good luck!

estoppel

Reaction score
For those taking CPA australia, is it because they want to be chartered accountants? Am i right to say that cpa cant get me into finance/investment related sector as it is more closer to accounting/audit field?

What jobs are you referring to in the finance/investment sector? I think that taking CPA/ CA or whatever kind of professional accounting cert is just a natural progression for auditors.

There are many different kinds of pathways after that, such as risk management and consultancy blah blah blah that maybe more advantageous to accountants who are holding professional qualification.

estoppel

Reaction score
Hi

Thabks for reply. I am looking at helping at job like helping investor make investment decision. Portfolio/fund manager and hedge manager kind of job where decisions is needed to maximise shareholder wealth/helping investor to invest in stocks or bonds that kind. But i did my research and realised CPA is geared much closer to job like auditor compliance and accounting related to yearly financial statement and income statement right? Correct me if i am wrong.

I think you maybe referring to a CFA certification. Jobs like that probably do better with a banking & finance degree or equivalent.

CPA generally is more geared towards business management roles. Although some may disagree and such, depending on the certification body I would say.

E.g. 2 of the more known certifying bodies in Singapore which is ACCA & CPA Australia. ACCA holders are more pro towards IFRS whereas CPA (Aust.) is more towards business management (due to the way their program is structured).

I left out ISCA as I have no idea what they are geared towards to, I just went for their PAC course for reclassification under MRA. In any case, like what you mentioned, is more accounting related. Hope this helps

chiwawa23

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For those taking CPA australia, is it because they want to be chartered accountants? Am i right to say that cpa cant get me into finance/investment related sector as it is more closer to accounting/audit field?

As compared, if wanted to be CA of Singapore, best is to go for SQP.

meinteel

Reaction score
Anyone knows of mentors who are able to sign off for CPA Aust or Singapore CA (SQP) if I work for them on a part-time basis?

estoppel

Reaction score
Gonna try my best and answer both at the same time.

But CPA Australia mostly done on self study, does anyone actually goes for revision class?
Self study would suffice in my opinion. I did try attending the revision class for the GSL as per some of my ex-colleagues recommendation. After going through the 6 lessons, I realized i'm better off on my own.

What they did, at least for the GSL segment was summarized and run through the study notes and try to spot the questions based on the case study released prior the exams. I did not follow through the facilitator's notes cause I did not agree with her views. Thankfully I passed whereas I had 2 other friends who took the class with me, followed her and flunk. Food for thought.

Anyone knows of mentors who are able to sign off for CPA Aust or Singapore CA (SQP) if I work for them on a part-time basis?

Check the respective association websites for their list of recognized partners, mostly would be accounting firms. Go join them on a full-time basis for the experience. Plenty of managers or partners to sign for you.

Alternatively, you can try attending those networking sessions to seek a mentor.

Last edited:

neucomer

Reaction score
Asking for quick update to this thread.

Who is CPA alrdy?

estoppel, so you did your entire CPA aust on yourself w/o attending those Kaplan classes?
Did you pass everything at the 1st sitting of each module?
Can ask aga how much you spent in total? TQ :)

neucomer

Reaction score
Btw, another quick question
10 years ago, they used to require this mentorship thing for CPA Aust. Is this still required? Thanks!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.