Which MBA?

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If the direct boss wants to promote his own subordinate, I don't understand why HR can play such an important role. I never had this problem unless HR is able to point out some flaw pertaining to his/ her attitude, EQ or performance related issue. Unless that person is from HR, then of course human resource manager can decide his/ her promotion.

In Singapore, it is important only if you are a fresh grad. If you have no experience at all, then a good university and intern with a good company gives you advantage. Having said that, don't just go to a school where you do very little for 1 year and they aware you a certificate. For this kind of course, you get nothing out of the school reputation yet learn nothing to demonstrate your capability to your boss.

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
As ex-HR, I would like to point out something.

1) In term of Recruitment & Selection, your position does not require MBA, so it is not really a MUST to have it.

2) If your boss want to promote you from an Executive to a Senior Executive, it should not be a problem but if your boss want to promote you from a Senior Executive to a Manager, a lot of thing are taken into consideration. I will say employ someone new will be always better than promoting someone from internal. Instead of 'vertical promotion', organization will develop employees & consider to give them a 'horizontal promotion' if their current position is related to their prospective position.

wahkao3

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I will say employ someone new will be always better than promoting someone from internal
i dont get it, why?
promote internal ppl good mah? internal ppl know the company better :s11:

is it so that we dont upset the morale? promote someone liao later other ppl jelly and tender? :s11:

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of factors. Let me just quote one for you.

You are a very outstanding executive & I decided to promote you to the position of Manager.

Now we have a vacant executive position & I have just recruited a new guy for that position.

As time go by, I found out that you are not suitable to be a Manager & I just have to fire you because there is no vacant executive position for you at the moment.

In this case, the organization lose a very outstanding executive talent because of the management wrong judgement of promoting someone who is not suitable for the position of Manager.

i dont get it, why?

is it so that we dont upset the morale? promote someone liao later other ppl jelly and tender? :s11:

greddy88

Reaction score
i dont get it, why?

imo untimely it is your network that counts.
Internal promotions are usually those with good rapport with the bosses.
u don't need any higher qualification. basic degree will do.
external hiring should also be the same.
I was promoted from team lead to manager and now executive.
I was also approached for a director level job outside.
No mba was asked.. though I understood the last position requires one..by right.

without network, yes..everything will go by the book.

dareaper

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

You are a very outstanding executive & I decided to promote you to the position of Manager.

Now we have a vacant executive position & I have just recruited a new guy for that position.

As time go by, I found out that you are not suitable to be a Manager & I just have to fire you because there is no vacant executive position for you at the moment.

In this case, the organization lose a very outstanding executive talent because of the management wrong judgement of promoting someone who is not suitable for the position of Manager.

sounds like a pretty weird reasoning imo. if the executive is indeed performing well in his/her role, and has aspirations to be promoted to a managerial position, the lack of internal promotions will only drive the executive to hop to another company that can offer the promotion. this is independent of whether the executive will perform well at the managerial position, so either way, you lose the executive with his/her years of relevant experience.

personally i wouldn't want to work in a company that has a policy of no internal promotion. it would be a very negative policy that disengage employees and cultivate "dis-loyalty" since the apparent lack of progression would be a strong disincentive to perform.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

How often does this happen? Even there is a exec position open u think dude want to be demoted? U don't need to fire he will be leaving too.

Then again went ppl say exec here in states it only refers to VP to c level ppl.

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Like I say, this is just one factor for promotion consideration.

Almost all company do not have the policy of no internal promotion however the culture may have such things as no internal promotion.

We will not know how long the outstanding executive will jump ship if he is not promoted to manager but we do know that he will be out of the company for 6 months or lesser if he fail to perform after he is promoted to manager position.

sounds like a pretty weird reasoning imo. if the executive is indeed performing well in his/her role, and has aspirations to be promoted to a managerial position, the lack of internal promotions will only drive the executive to hop to another company that can offer the promotion. this is independent of whether the executive will perform well at the managerial position, so either way, you lose the executive with his/her years of relevant experience.

personally i wouldn't want to work in a company that has a policy of no internal promotion. it would be a very negative policy that disengage employees and cultivate "dis-loyalty" since the apparent lack of progression would be a strong disincentive to perform.

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How often does this happen when a exec will be promoted to mgr? There r such ppl that will seat on the position until he is fire.

i noe that exec can refers to VP to c level ppl but from my sentence, you all know that my exec is just like a grad position like engineer.

How often does this happen? Even there is a exec position open u think dude want to be demoted? U don't need to fire he will be leaving too.

Then again went ppl say exec here in states it only refers to VP to c level ppl.

FrostWurm

Master Member
Reaction score
i noe that exec can refers to VP to c level ppl but from my sentence, you all know that my exec is just like a grad position like engineer.

From your sentence, I can only tell that your primary school english teacher would be rather disappointed :(

tansh87@gmail.com

Reaction score
MBA in Rotman School of Management at University of Toronto

Hi there!

Has anyone here pursued an MBA in Rotman School of Management at University of Toronto? Just starting some simple research to consider some further studies in Canada...

Hope to talk to someone who's been there and share some stuff about it.

Thanks! :s13:

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi there!

Has anyone here pursued an MBA in Rotman School of Management at University of Toronto? Just starting some simple research to consider some further studies in Canada...

Hope to talk to someone who's been there and share some stuff about it.

Thanks! :s13:

Bad place to do research here, try international forum.
My pal did her's a few yrs ago at McGill.

pinkpiglet4

Reaction score
Mba

My undergrad results : 2nd lower hons
gmat first attempt : 480

can any1 recommend any uni where i can do MBA? I know local unis r hard to get in.. any aus/UK unis?

thanks..

I know my results r bad... :eek:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.