HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Which MBA?

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2017, 07:00 PM   #1201

Things to consider for an MBA, especially those that are 2-years long:

1) Looking cost of the MBA, you can go on a world tour 10 times and still have money left over. Alternatively you could also buy a property in sexpensive Singapore.
2) Content is very similar to undergrad biz sch education.
3) 'Networking' isn't all it's hyped up to be. May work for some but definitely not for most.
4) Most employers don't care as much about the MBA as much as your previous work experience, especially in Asia.
5) The MBA is simply not as valued as before. The world increasingly demands specialization: data analytics, cyber security, robotics, biotechnology, etc. rather than a general business degree.
6) Traditional employers of the MBA are also looking for niche skills. Gone are the days where one can simply waltz into banking/consulting and expect a huge salary.

Do an MBA if:

1) You are rich enough that costs don't matter.
2) You really want to be associated with a top-notch institution because it boosts your self-esteem.
3) You want a career break, but need an excuse (in that case, do a reasonable one in a country you like).
4) Your company is paying part or all of your fees.
5) You are willing to take the risk of spending a large sum of money and not getting your desired outcome.
6) You want to try and get a job overseas after the MBA, despite the uncertainty in immigration policies in most countries.
7) You are in YOLO-mode and are thoroughly convinced that the MBA experience is worth any cost (many people actually belong to this category).

Other alternatives:
Professional certifications (CPA, PMP, Professional Engineer)
Specialized masters degrees (usually cheaper)
Spending the money on a property and collecting rental income
Spending the money on holidays with your loved ones
♥Strawberry♥ likes this.

Last edited by FrostWurm; 06-08-2017 at 07:05 PM..
FrostWurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 06:44 AM   #1202
Arch-Supremacy Member

1) Looking cost of the MBA, you can go on a world tour 10 times and still have money left over. Alternatively you could also buy a property in sexpensive Singapore.
3) 'Networking' isn't all it's hyped up to be. May work for some but definitely not for most.
4) Most employers don't care as much about the MBA as much as your previous work experience, especially in Asia.
5) The MBA is simply not as valued as before. The world increasingly demands specialization: data analytics, cyber security, robotics, biotechnology, etc. rather than a general business degree.
6) Traditional employers of the MBA are also looking for niche skills. Gone are the days where one can simply waltz into banking/consulting and expect a huge salary.

Do an MBA if:

2) You really want to be associated with a top-notch institution because it boosts your self-esteem.
3) You want a career break, but need an excuse (in that case, do a reasonable one in a country you like).
5) You are willing to take the risk of spending a large sum of money and not getting your desired outcome.
6) You want to try and get a job overseas after the MBA, despite the uncertainty in immigration policies in most countries.
7) You are in YOLO-mode and are thoroughly convinced that the MBA experience is worth any cost (many people actually belong to this category).

Other alternatives:
Chiu got do MBA?? Which school??
fsg316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 04:09 PM   #1203

Do an MBA if:

Other alternatives:
As many have mentioned. The value of an MBA depends on the person's profile. If you do not have your own value preposition in the industry, then clearly MBA is not as beneficial.
Asslann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 10:59 AM   #1204
High Supremacy Member

Hi. Like to seek everyone's opinion. If I were to take up a MBA, I would be 36year-old by graduation. My current industry does not value MBA, i.e. I would need to switch industry. Am I too old for MBA? I graduated with FCH from local uni almost a decade ago.

Reason for taking MBA: Taking a break from work. Aiming to switch from engineering industry (hands on level aka doing dirty engineering work) to MNCs/Finance industry (management level aka paper warrior)

TIA.

Last edited by chopra; 20-09-2017 at 11:01 AM..
chopra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 05:16 PM   #1205
Supremacy Member

During my reservist, there NSman who quit his job as Engineer & study full time MBA in local Uni. Later he work in bank but did not share further his job title. This was like around 4 to 5 years back when he start working in the bank.

You are not too late to take MBA but I hope you don't get the false impression that a MBA will guarantee you in MNCs/Finance industry (management level aka paper warrior).

Due to uncertain economy, it maybe hard to get a job (after you graduated with a MBA) that is relevant to your experience and qualifications. You may even have to get a position lower then your current job with much lower wages.

Hi. Like to seek everyone's opinion. If I were to take up a MBA, I would be 36year-old by graduation. My current industry does not value MBA, i.e. I would need to switch industry. Am I too old for MBA? I graduated with FCH from local uni almost a decade ago.

Reason for taking MBA: Taking a break from work. Aiming to switch from engineering industry (hands on level aka doing dirty engineering work) to MNCs/Finance industry (management level aka paper warrior)

TIA.
Old 21-09-2017, 11:25 PM   #1206

TIA.
Hello, speaking from experience. Let me give my two cents worth.

It is not easy to switch industry even with a MBA. A full-time MBA may have a little advantage but the employers still see you as someone with certain experience in an industry, they don see you as a fresh graduate. The reason why full-time student may have a little advantage because you have more opportunities to do internship in a different industry where they pay much lesser to hire you and let you try out the new role. Whereas, if you do part-time MBA, you don't have the flexibility to do internship unless you plan to quit your full time job after you got an internship. Furthermore, as a full-time student, you have more time to attend company visits, career talks, training sessions organised by schools and student clubs.

It is not too late for your age to take MBA. Many MBA students are around that age. though there are also quite a number of MBA students in their 20s. (PS: What's FCH?)

Instead of switching totally from one industry to another, I suggest that you can switch your function from hands-on engineering to management level engineering , then switch to another industry in the same management function as before.

Who knows? you may not even want to switch job but to do your own start up along the way in MBA. Taking MBA allows you to get in touch with many people and opportunities which allow you to explore new possibilities about yourself. It is important to choose your school wisely because culture of the school matters.

Do also note that you have to spend some time to study for GMAT and take the exam and get reference letters from your current or former employers.
starbugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.