HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

NUS ISS Master of Technology or NUS Master of Computing?

Like Tree4Likes
Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-01-2017, 01:55 AM   #76

ok then for me is 5%, mainly on the architecture and business class (advance elective)

The goal of a master is to earn money isn't it? My friend in CMU are telling me the same thing, having so many foreigners in the master class and as usual giving those sort of excuse.

Maybe ISS can considered opening a branch or distance learning center in South Asia, since the majority of the students come from there these days.
Also a local graduate of MTech here and I have friends who did MComp. Content-wise and entry, I would have preferred MComp. However MTech is more "industry-oriented" as compared, which can be a good or bad thing.

My observations is that MComp has smarter people due to higher entry requirements. The PhD students are on another league of its own. Working with them is much easier and beneficial for learning. However, in terms of project management and applied skillsets, MTech is better, but not theory.

Overall, I think it is up to individual and how they make use of the experience and time.
For the local fees, can't really complain.

Last edited by Asslann; 23-01-2017 at 02:03 AM..
Asslann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 11:40 PM   #77
Master Member

Also a local graduate of MTech here and I have friends who did MComp. Content-wise and entry, I would have preferred MComp. However MTech is more "industry-oriented" as compared, which can be a good or bad thing.

My observations is that MComp has smarter people due to higher entry requirements. The PhD students are on another league of its own. Working with them is much easier and beneficial for learning. However, in terms of project management and applied skillsets, MTech is better, but not theory.

Overall, I think it is up to individual and how they make use of the experience and time.
For the local fees, can't really complain.
Agree, if you really want to be intellectually challenged more, i would suggest to go NUS Master of Computing (regret not taking it up the offer) despite the higher tuition fee.

I really want to understand where ISS is leading to. I thought their intention is to train our country talent pool, and i am pretty surprise they also accept foreigners with zero working experiences over some of my local peers. It's pretty disheartening to see we locals only represent like 5-10% of the whole cohort.
Old 13-02-2017, 02:14 AM   #78
Supremacy Member

Agree, if you really want to be intellectually challenged more, i would suggest to go NUS Master of Computing (regret not taking it up the offer) despite the higher tuition fee.

I really want to understand where ISS is leading to. I thought their intention is to train our country talent pool, and i am pretty surprise they also accept foreigners with zero working experiences over some of my local peers. It's pretty disheartening to see we locals only represent like 5-10% of the whole cohort.
They can't do anything if no locals want to sign up. So they have to accept foreigners to make up the numbers for the class cohort.

Also ISS has its own full time graduate diploma in Systems Analysis which indirectly competes with its master programs.
havetheveryfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 08:47 PM   #79
Master Member

I'm thinking of enrolling in Mtech KE too. Due to data analytics and smart nation being the in thing now.
I graduated from NUS Info Sys and Comp Sci with Merit. Back in my time, no CAP being given, also no MC i think. So I also don't know how to calculate.

16 years of doing java web development. Not interested in project management track, more interested in thinking of solution so thought of taking up this Mtech KE to future proof myself.

I'm thinking of doing it full time since can go for internship.
Hopefully can pass the test and interview.
MCP, MCSA
Do unto others what u want others do unto u[/SIZE]
baiyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 02:05 AM   #80

I'm thinking of enrolling in Mtech KE too. Due to data analytics and smart nation being the in thing now.
I graduated from NUS Info Sys and Comp Sci with Merit. Back in my time, no CAP being given, also no MC i think. So I also don't know how to calculate.

16 years of doing java web development. Not interested in project management track, more interested in thinking of solution so thought of taking up this Mtech KE to future proof myself.

I'm thinking of doing it full time since can go for internship.
Hopefully can pass the test and interview.
With your background, for full time, high chance in .
That said, KE is not a software engineering course, be sure you get your expectations right on the modules before joining.
Old 19-05-2017, 12:14 PM   #81
Supremacy Member

Anyone knows why I keep having unsuccessful application for Master of Computing? I thought with my experience in IT security and development over 5+ years, I will have a chance? I even get my boss's support. i have applied 3 times and it is still a no. Can successful applicants point to me the direction?

I am an alumni too and when I asked the proffessor, they said they would like me back too. It was never the case.

Last edited by QJPtheSE; 19-05-2017 at 12:21 PM..
QJPtheSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 12:24 PM   #82

Anyone knows why I keep having unsuccessful application for Master of Computing? I thought with my experience in IT security and development over 5+ years, I will have a chance? I even get my boss's support. i have applied 3 times and it is still a no. Can successful applicants point to me the direction?

I am an alumni too and when I asked the proffessor, they said they would like me back too. It was never the case.
I have just completed on that particular programme. Waiting for graduation now.
They judge heavily on your academic result for your Bachelor. I have met with multiple fresh grads with absolutely no experience in Security other than relatively good grades.

I almost did not get in because the school where I got my Bachelor from was not up to their "standard". PM me if you need my advise.
jjtrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 06:00 PM   #83
High Supremacy Member

What was ur Bach hons?

What was ur Bach hons?
vbhelper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 06:26 PM   #84
Supremacy Member

What was ur Bach hons?
NUS Bachelor of Computing (Computer Science)
Old 19-05-2017, 06:44 PM   #85
High Supremacy Member

NUS Bachelor of Computing (Computer Science)
Hons class?

There are a lot of students previously grad from private and overseas uni taking this degree
vbhelper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 01:19 PM   #86
Supremacy Member

I have just completed on that particular programme. Waiting for graduation now.
They judge heavily on your academic result for your Bachelor. I have met with multiple fresh grads with absolutely no experience in Security other than relatively good grades.

I almost did not get in because the school where I got my Bachelor from was not up to their "standard". PM me if you need my advise.
Hi, I have new question posed to you in private message...
Old 27-05-2017, 01:53 AM   #87

Hi, I have new question posed to you in private message...
Yes, NUS programme, even MComp is strongly based on bachelor grades. It is very common for a 10 yrs exp with Oracle certs and others to get failed admissions.
Old 20-06-2017, 12:16 AM   #88

anyone knows why MTech EBA offers no Singaporean subsidy?
FuzzyMuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.