Question about Hadoop, Hive And Pig

Nipponho

Reaction score
Hi,

Hope someone familiar with Hadoop can advise me.

I am in accounting without SAP or Oracle experience and naturally I am disadvantaged in terms of competing for jobs. I would like to enhance my resume a bit and is now considering taking up big data webinars on udacity or udemy.

I was considering learning Hadoop but gave up. Although the overall concepts are not difficult to understand, I am quite sure I will be lost halfway through because the practical usage requires prior knowledge of Java which I don’t have. I think Java take a long time to learn. I only learnt excel VBA and DAX for Powerpivot

How about learning Hive and Pig? I read that Hive and Pig makes it possible for users to be able to use Hadoop without knowledge of Java.

Any opinions? Are Hive and Pig skills alone without Hadoop in demand? Seems like big data is the in thing now.

Thanks!

invisible.hippo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i think for your case learn oracle or sap better. They are still highly in demand.... also got the myob if i am not wrong. If really want 'future proof' go learn mongodb

Nipponho

Reaction score
i think for your case learn oracle or sap better. They are still highly in demand.... also got the myob if i am not wrong. If really want 'future proof' go learn mongodb

Hi, thanks so much for taking the effort to reply!

SAP/Oracle is very big system and not possible to load onto home PC. Seems to me it will take a long time to learn. And it may not be worth it as SAP/Oracle has been around for many years already, so by now there should not be any more shortage of SAP people since government has opened the gates so wide open for indian talents beginning 2007. Please correct me if I am wrong as i am not sure if my observation and understanding is accurate.

OK i go and read up on what this mongo is all about.

So are you implying that it is not worth it to pursue hive and pig skills? Seems like hive and pig can be mastered within 1 or 2 months. I thought they say there is severe shortage of manpower in big data field? Again, please correct me if i am wrong.

Aiya this myob is mainly used by those very small local companies. I want to avoid very small companies as they will squeeze and squeeze and squeeze from you till the very last drop left.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.