Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By davidktw
  • 1 Post By huffie
Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #1

Software Engineer

Do we have anyone in here who can code and create a desktop to online server program from scratch?

I see mostly are desktop or website application. For desktop to online server, I mean the application can and will communicate with an online server independently in the background without the user interferences.
wdblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #2
Master Member

Do we have anyone in here who can code and create a desktop to online server program from scratch?

I see mostly are desktop or website application. For desktop to online server, I mean the application can and will communicate with an online server independently in the background without the user interferences.
What application do you have in mind? These are basically command line applications that can be started as service or on demand either by users or subsystem based on various events. There is nothing special except you don't get a fanciful GUI only.

The server you meant could be be contactable via IP, UDP, TCP transport, typically falls under networking applications. Besides me, I wouldn't be surprise numerous developers can develop such client side applications.

Perhaps you would like to be specific what you are looking for? Chances it is already available, especially in the unix environment.
davidktw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:00 AM   #3

After reading your reply, I feel like a noob

I am looking at backup application. It is already there in the market, but anyone here got the know how to build it from the floor up?

The application has to

1. detect latest changes in file editing/creation of new file
2. upload only change bit - this sound really chim to me
3. compressed the bit to send over - use of another existing application to compress?
4. encryption - should be the standard encryption code
wdblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:27 AM   #4
Master Member

After reading your reply, I feel like a noob

I am looking at backup application. It is already there in the market, but anyone here got the know how to build it from the floor up?

The application has to

1. detect latest changes in file editing/creation of new file
2. upload only change bit - this sound really chim to me
3. compressed the bit to send over - use of another existing application to compress?
4. encryption - should be the standard encryption code
It is already available if you are in the unix environment, The tool is called "rsync". 'rsync" itself would not be able to perform backup, but it will perform step 1 and 2. "rsync" works with rsyncd on the server side, which can be running as a daemon, or started by "inetd" when the port is connected. Alternatively, rsync can be perform via secured shell(ssh) to bridge up the connection. SSH features data compression and definitely is equipped with various encryption standards in today's industry requirement. You also get public key authentication which is required for automated operations.

Now the above mentioned utilities will help you to synchronize your local source directory with your remote target directory. Both will then holds the same set of directories and files at the end. It is not entirely a backup. Backup should be, such that you can build snapshots periodically. This can be easily achieved by packaging the target directory using a simple "tar" + "gzip" command. It's also common that backup has some form to duplicity involve, so that the first backup is full set, while subsequent backup are incremental, hence your first tarball should be large and subsequent ones are small. Again, this feature is already found in "tar".

Now the whole procedure is obviously not a single application. Question here is what does "single" application means to you ? If I package a set of tools into a "bin" directory, then invoke it from a wrapper script, where you can indicate your local directory to backup and your remote directory to store, would it be considered a "single" application to you ? Ultimately a "single" application is just a series of libraries or functions invocation. Important is as long as the overhead involved in invoking these helpers are negligible compared to the actual duration taken for real backup work done, I say single or a few tools cooperating together makes little difference in the whole objective.

Hence here I have presented to you a working integration solution.

Update:

Perhaps if I change the requirement slightly, we can even drop the rsync tool. Just incremental backup using gnu tar will do. The change is from changed "bit" to "changed file or directory. At this granularity, all you need is incremental backup using gnu tar and secure copy using "scp" to the remote server. Done. You will need a snapshot file for the incremental backup to work though. This snapshot file generated by gnu tar.
wdblazer likes this.

Last edited by davidktw; 11-05-2012 at 02:55 AM..
davidktw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:54 AM   #5

I guess you can probably take a look at BackupPc which uses commands davidktw has mentioned and other things as well...
wdblazer likes this.
huffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 03:50 AM   #6

genie timeline, oop!backup. go look up for details in youtube.

This thread should be in software clinic but not in programmer's den!
JesusLovesUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 08:17 AM   #7

genie timeline, oop!backup. go look up for details in youtube.

This thread should be in software clinic but not in programmer's den!
if you followed the thread right from the beginning by READING, you would've seen that the TS was asking if someone is able to CODE.
huffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.