HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

HELP!! I got scammed by playmo.sg a spamming advertising telcom!

Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2012, 12:25 AM   #1

HELP!! I got scammed by playmo.sg a spamming advertising telcom!

Totally OMG.

Help!!

While I was playing games, suddenly a popout from facebook, prompt me a message that I won a ipad2 or something, so I keyed in my phone no. as I saw all the telecom logo like M1, Starhub & Singtel were there so I thought it should be quite reliable and doesnt seen like the usual scam!

How am I suppose to know that after keying my hp. no... I got not just ONE but MULTIPLE sms from PLAYMO!! It was a total scam as each message they sent will cost me 3 SGD!

I replied "STOP" or "UNMARK" as they quoted in their FAQ but they keep sending me still!!

Anyone know anyway to stop this right now? Other than calling the company hotline ( It does not operate at this hours so i have to call tomorrow and I am afraid even calling up to tell them and stop they will still continue)

I called my telecommunication channel, singtel, & SURPRISING & so DISAPPOINTING they couldn't stop this or block this no. I wonder why!

The only way I can do now is to STOP all my INCOMING MESSAGE! But this cant be lasting forever...

Anyway, this serves as a lesson learnt for me & anyone who see this,
please please, do not be in this SAME **** as me.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
Supremacy Member

I think CASE may be your best choice since you still receive messages after you asked them to stop. But probably you may still need to pay for the charges before you send STOP.

Telcos are toothless and profit driven on this matter, they probably are getting paid for the service anyway. And consumers in Singapore are not as protected as in other countries like Australia and USA.

You are not the first victim and will not be the last. This is how they earn huge profits and laughing all the way to bank, playmo.sg it is.

I think there should be some regulations on this kind of service to protect users. Hope the government or regulators aka IDA will do something about this.

Yes, take this as a lesson: when it is too good to be true, it probably is. There is no free lunch in this world.
James Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:40 AM   #3

Hi thanks for the advice. I am going to ring up to the scam company today and asked them to better block my no. else I will stomp/publish it to the news or like what you suggested, suggest to CASE since i have sent STOP or UNMARK yet they keep sending. I saw some victims have been charged 200 dollar for that and I do not wish to be in the same thing as them. It is just the most despicable marketing tatics I ever seen.
Old 13-04-2012, 11:41 PM   #4

can report to IDA or not? that time strait times post 1 scam company kena fine cos they refused customers to unsubscribe.
tingyuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 05:51 PM   #5

These cheaters & robbers must be stopped. Why are the Telcos supporting them by being their Billing agent? Apparently the scam starts coming in the moment I changed to data plan. I smell something fishy here. I am not tech savvy. Anyone savvy enough to enquire or check through internet to find which govn agency or ministry can take actions against these cheaters. (Sorry, it took me more than half hr to get this message in)
dionysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 11:36 AM   #6

Stop them

Some action you can take to prevent other getting cheated:

1) You can report the website as an unsafe website using IE9 feature.
- Click the Settings button located on the top right side of your IE9.
- Click Select Safety - Report Unsafe Website.
- This action will redirect you to a website called Microsoft SmartScreen filter where you will have to reply few questions about your finding.
- Done! At this point Microsoft will review the website and if it consider it a phising website or a scamware website it will flag it to its Internet Explorer users!

2) Report this as an unsafe domain on AVG website - avgthreatlabs
rsvsjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #7

This monthly play n win promo was sent to me this morn. I registered and played twice. And damn i was charged 15bucks so quickly.
Aishel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2012, 11:21 AM   #8

I think many ppl were affected by this scam . This happened to me too. I thought that the SGD3 meant that the reply to them would cost SGD3. Until I went online and did a Google.Then I saw your post and thought that what you posted made sense so , I sent them "STOP" and luckily it stopped. Wondering if you spelt it out in big capitals? But I still have a bill to pay .:'(
Hazell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2012, 04:03 PM   #9

OPT OUT BY CALLING SINGTEL/STARHUB/M1 TO DISABLE PREMIUM CHARGED SERVICE AND YOU'LL PERMANENTLY NEED NOT AFRAID . THIS CAN BE DONE, CALL THE RIGHT OFFICER OR ASK TO SPEAK TO SUPERVISOR.

ANOTHER WAY, DON'T PAY TO SINGTEL/STARHUB/M1 IF YOU THINK THEY'RE SCAMMING, REPORT THEM TO SINGTEL.STARHUB/M1 AND TOLD THE OFFICER THAT YOU'VE NO USE THEIR SERVICE , and you're not going to pay. If they ask you to settle with Ads Company, told them you won't since Singtel is the one who charge u and you've not authorize it.

I refuse to pay and they withdraw the charges, but that was because it was my last bill with Starhub. So, good luck.
Nic__84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 02:33 AM   #10
Supremacy Member

if enter my friend number into this, will my friend get charged $$$ or he need to reply to confirm?
maisatomai is online now   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.