HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Galaxy Note Charging Issues

Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2012, 07:34 PM   #1

Galaxy Note Charging Issues

Hi guys, i did a search but cant really find anything close to what i faced. So here goes:

My note takes a long time to get charged up and i have read that it is normal. It takes about 3-4hours to charge using the original charger to a socket plug.

however, i'm unable to charge using a charge/sync cable plugged to my USB ports. it shows charging but the batt is depleting instead of charging up. i wasnt doing anything.

i bought a socket adaptor in my office and charge instead of the usb port, and i face the same problem. the batt depletes although it shows that it is charging.

is this normal too?
namska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:40 PM   #2
Master Member

Hi guys, i did a search but cant really find anything close to what i faced. So here goes:

My note takes a long time to get charged up and i have read that it is normal. It takes about 3-4hours to charge using the original charger to a socket plug.

however, i'm unable to charge using a charge/sync cable plugged to my USB ports. it shows charging but the batt is depleting instead of charging up. i wasnt doing anything.

i bought a socket adaptor in my office and charge instead of the usb port, and i face the same problem. the batt depletes although it shows that it is charging.

is this normal too?
Yes this is normal.

Your USB on your computer typically outputs only 500mA of power to your phone. Due to the large capacity of the battery, it takes longer than the wall charger to charge the phone.

As the rated output from the battery is at 1A, if the phone is consuming eg 800mA of power, 300mA of power is drawn from the battery instead. This occurs when u have ongoing data traffic.

Hope this helps. If you need to charge, avoid using the USB on your computer to charge.
renfred89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:13 PM   #3

but i later bought a mini usb sync + charging cable and connected it to my iphone head plug and i get the same problem too. the headplug i checked gives the same voltage and output as my samsung headplug. any idea?
Old 10-05-2012, 12:53 AM   #4

wow! i was just able to ask the same qn.

I noticed that the third party micro usb cable does not charge as efficiently as the original one that came with the note.

I tried all different configurations from using different wall plug, usb ports and etc. As long as its using the micro usb cable it practically does not charge as efficiently, I recalled charging it over night for about 8 hours and only gain like 10%.

Perhaps there's still a difference in original micro usb and 3rd party and why original cable are so damn expensive.
AndreX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:14 AM   #5
Master Member

but i later bought a mini usb sync + charging cable and connected it to my iphone head plug and i get the same problem too. the headplug i checked gives the same voltage and output as my samsung headplug. any idea?
I assume that the head plug u referring to is the iPhone original wall charger.

Yes the iPhone original wall charger has the same output as the Samsung supplied wall charger for note. However you have to realise that some 3rd party cables are unable to provide the same electrical properties as the original cable supplied.

However, if the cable is of a reputable brand, perhaps there is a fault in the cable which resulted in higher than usual resistivity that causes the output power from your head plug to drop. It's best you change the cable and monitor the situation..
Old 10-05-2012, 09:20 AM   #6

Beware of third party cable.... Ive bought one cable at sim lim square and use to charge the phone... It shows the battery is charging when full, unplug it and it shows half where i originally start... And the cable cant use usb tether too... So use back the original cable n no problem...
scarzro8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:42 AM   #7

Charging using laptop usb port is definitely slower due to the lower output. But no issue of battery depleting while charging though.

I am also using other 3rd party chargers for my Note without any problem as well. All can charge the battery as fast as the original Samsung wall charger. I used a 2-port Mckal usb wall charger in my office, and a 2-port Mckal usb car charger in my vehicle. The micro usb cable I used is a Mckal retractable micro usb cable rated at 1A, and an OEM Blackberry micro usb cable.
kelccm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:23 AM   #8

this is really frustrating as i spent quite some money on the cables only to find out that it wouldnt work. i just double tried the iphone original wallplug with the usb cable again, this time i off the WIFI and all other programs. still same outcome.

now i start to worry if the car charger i bought will give the same problem also anot.

anyone knows where do i buy the original charges?
Old 10-05-2012, 11:49 AM   #9
Master Member

this is really frustrating as i spent quite some money on the cables only to find out that it wouldnt work. i just double tried the iphone original wallplug with the usb cable again, this time i off the WIFI and all other programs. still same outcome.

now i start to worry if the car charger i bought will give the same problem also anot.

anyone knows where do i buy the original charges?
You dont have to buy the original chargers. You can buy good quality 3rd chargers from reputable computer electronics store. Brands such as belkin are cheaper than original chargers yet good enough to last..
Old 10-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #10

yup, reputable might be safer... i bought those cheapo cable no brand from the sale2 shop... so for cheap2 cable heng sway lor...
scarzro8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #11

i bought my stuff from challenger... the cable alone is 13bucks already. i dont know why cant. i can charge with the PC but its super slow. but when i mix and match the cable with the iphone head plug, the batt depletes instead of charging.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:21 PM   #12
Master Member

i bought my stuff from challenger... the cable alone is 13bucks already. i dont know why cant. i can charge with the PC but its super slow. but when i mix and match the cable with the iphone head plug, the batt depletes instead of charging.
Go exchange.. Its spoilt i think..
Old 10-05-2012, 04:27 PM   #13

the sad part is i throw away my receipt already.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:53 PM   #14
Arch-Supremacy Member

my rantings.
yes been using the 3rd party usb cable and it takes forever to charge and sometimes the charging percentage will drop .
therefore im trying my best to get a another original samsung cable .
Whizdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:37 PM   #15

my rantings.
yes been using the 3rd party usb cable and it takes forever to charge and sometimes the charging percentage will drop .
therefore im trying my best to get a another original samsung cable .
Any good/decent brand micro usb cable will do the job nicely.
neubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.