Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Galaxy Note overheat

Like Tree1Likes
Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-01-2012, 09:40 AM   #1

Galaxy Note overheat

My Galaxy Note (purchased for less than a week) cant turn on or charge after leaving it to charge overnight, with one game running in the background. It was extremly warm when I discovered it in the morning. Going down to Singtel shop for 1-1 exchange later. Does anyone have similar issue?

And I realise if I left the apps running in the background (without using), it's also very warm, and batt doesn't last for half day. And with more apps installed, even without using, it still drains the batt. Is that normal?

Im very disappointed with it. Never had such an issue with my E7 or iphone.
wat_the_000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 10:05 AM   #2
High Supremacy Member

What game? What apps? In background.
kennyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 10:12 AM   #3

What game? What apps? In background.
Ya, running in background (with mega mall story) with wifi and internet turn off.

I do install some apps like youtube downloader, qr barcode scanner and popcorn sg movie, mega mall story and japan life game. These were not in use, but I see that it still drains battery when I go to the battery usage option.
Old 19-01-2012, 10:49 AM   #4

Were you an iphone user before this? You do know that unlike iphone, android handle multitasking in REAL, ie apps still fully run (and will try to download whenever necessary) in the background. Hence you should quit apps by pressing Back key and not simply pressing Home button as in iphone...

Anyway you can refer to below quote to learn how to identify which app is killing your batt in the background:
These steps have saved me battery:
1. Install betterbattery (1 word) frm market
2. Charge ur battery to full, and leave the phone discharged overnight
3. The next day, check betterbattery under Partial Wakelock. You'll be able to i dentify which is the culprit of ur battery drain!

In my case, after updated Samsung App to the latest, i noticed my batt drain faster. Then followed the steps above, found out that one of the Samsung App component go rogue keep running on the background. Immediately UNINSTALL and it's gone forever together with my battery drain issue.

Now batt is per normal but making sure i run betterbattery once in awhile to keep watch.
Hope it helps!
Ribeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 11:48 AM   #5

Were you an iphone user before this? You do know that unlike iphone, android handle multitasking in REAL, ie apps still fully run (and will try to download whenever necessary) in the background. Hence you should quit apps by pressing Back key and not simply pressing Home button as in iphone...

Anyway you can refer to below quote to learn how to identify which app is killing your batt in the background:

Hope it helps!
thanks, im mainly a symbian user, which is equally as good as ios for multi task but have longer batt life and less heat.

So, is it common for android to super overheat? My nokia never had issue, so are iphone even with charging under the pillow and apps and hotspot running.
Old 19-01-2012, 12:13 PM   #6

thanks, im mainly a symbian user, which is equally as good as ios for multi task but have longer batt life and less heat.

So, is it common for android to super overheat? My nokia never had issue, so are iphone even with charging under the pillow and apps and hotspot running.
I'm not a longtime android user but based on exp and common sense, downloading data from 3G will generate alot of heat... couple that while charging the batt at the same time, alot of heat is generated.

There was an event when I put down my Note on my desk. A few hours later, I grab it and it was freaking HOT !! Not warm.. but hot, to the extent I almost drop it out of reflex. And the phone was totally shutdown. When I turned it on, 1% battery was left. Totally freaked me out... but it never happened again. Still wonder what was happening that time.

I had an iphone before. It will get quite hot while charging as well... although in iOS, background apps are not able to gain internet access ...
Ribeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 01:50 PM   #7
Master Member

You never use Whatsapp for Symbian before right?
On iOS can last 1-2 days of moderate usage. on Symbian, 2-3 hours battery drained flat totally.
Jhyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 02:30 PM   #8

You never use Whatsapp for Symbian before right?
On iOS can last 1-2 days of moderate usage. on Symbian, 2-3 hours battery drained flat totally.
im running email, whatsapp, music, anti thief 24/7 real time on symbian, takes 1 to 2 days to drain.
Old 19-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #9
Master Member

Latest version?
My experience with symbian ended with S60v3.

Anyway back to your current problem, try install some monitoring apps to see which processes are responsible for your battery drain.
Jhyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 03:18 PM   #10

Latest version?
My experience with symbian ended with S60v3.

Anyway back to your current problem, try install some monitoring apps to see which processes are responsible for your battery drain.
If you go to settings -> about phone -> battery usage, it does show the info, is that good enough?
Old 19-01-2012, 03:24 PM   #11
Master Member

im running email, whatsapp, music, anti thief 24/7 real time on symbian, takes 1 to 2 days to drain.
FYI Symbian and iOS are NOT truly capable of multitasking.

I'm currently running well into the 26th hour with slightly more than half of my battery charge left. If you like I can prove it with a screen capture.
darknez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #12
Master Member

FYI Symbian and iOS are NOT truly capable of multitasking.

I'm currently running well into the 26th hour with slightly more than half of my battery charge left. If you like I can prove it with a screen capture.
That would be nice.
davi502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 04:08 PM   #13
Master Member

That would be nice.
I'll post it later. But if you search through, you can find my screen capture else, as well.
darknez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 09:39 PM   #14
High Supremacy Member

Ya, running in background (with mega mall story) with wifi and internet turn off.

I do install some apps like youtube downloader, qr barcode scanner and popcorn sg movie, mega mall story and japan life game. These were not in use, but I see that it still drains battery when I go to the battery usage option.
That screen shows what apps used the battery before, not that it is still actively using battery.

First time I heard Symbian not multitasking OS. That's something new. In my past usage, it has always excelled at multitasking.
Old 19-01-2012, 09:42 PM   #15
High Supremacy Member

If you go to settings -> about phone -> battery usage, it does show the info, is that good enough?
Install CPUSpy from market to see if ur phone is entering deep sleep.

Google for BetterBatteryStats from XDA and install it to see what are causing wakelocks on ur device.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.